WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Images

Seriously Yahtzee??? Maybe I jumped the gun on my judgement there.

I dunno though- nice that it works for you, who knows, I may try it... (Energy? From drinking lemonade, syrup, and chewing laxatives?)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

Without the laxatives for me though... (Not that I think it's unhealthy, just gross... Sounds like that colon cleanse diet.)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

It basically is a colon cleanse diet, Schlep. But the benefits of fasting don't come from the concoction but from the lack of digestion. Which is why the maple syrup is included. It's a simple sugar which breaks down without digestion. Blackstrap molasses is the only other sugar like this, if i recall correctly.

As for the icky part. Wow is all I can say. If anyone is ever backed up, guzzle a quart of saltwater. Schnikes. Within a half an hour you will no longer be backed up.
    The plan calls for a laxative tea at night and the saltwater in the morn. It works. I gotta say.

Again, it is not for everyone, but fasting is nothing new. Hippocrates said fasting was the first medicine and doctors since then have recommended it. To this day, fasting is common in Europe. Even one day a week can be helpful. However, the greatest effects are from prolonged periods of fasting where your organs are able to stop processing and start healing themselves. If you hurt your knee, you stay off of it. Same theory just applied to the every organ in the body.

I can't stress how much the breathing part is amazing. Never expected that side effect but within 3 days my breathing is so much easier and relaxed.
    Yahtzee

Images

Back to chafing again. Lots of people have good luck with UnderArmor boxer briefs, but they're a little expensive. Target sells Champion brand clothing that's much cheaper. I couldn't find full poly boxer briefs, but you know, I don't think it really matters all that much, especially when it's $5 for 2. This weekend I'm hiking in my UnderArmor briefs, but I'll find out some time next week if the Champion stuff is good. They also had a bunch of polypro base layers for super cheap. Their t-shirt, lightweight and midweight base layers ranged from $10-20.

Images

Originally Posted by Lemni Skate
    I HAVE to be under 222 lbs. because that's when my sleep apnea disappears
    i'll bet you are loved in the shelter around 3am
    Now you know why I always tent as far away from the shelter as I can. People should expect snoring if they use the shelters, but NOBODY should have to deal with the ungodly noises I make.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

I am now at 240 on the button, which means I have dropped 28.2 lbs. since Dec. 28.

I did Atkins the first two weeks, but now I'm mostly just keeping calories under 1800 per day. I'm back to running a little bit since its warmed up, also.

I'm still doing psuedo Atkins as I staying away from bread, white starches (potatoes, white rice, etc.), and sugar.

My goal of 222 by April 2 seems very doable. My goal of 199.9 by June 9 seems borderline-achievable. My goal of 157.2 by next Christmas is too far off to even think about.

Diet and exercise. Diet and exercise. Diet and exercise.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Thumbs up New article...

I have posted an article that should interest readers of this thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58026

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

This morning I weighed myself at 207.6. My weight a couple weeks ago was 215.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    It basically is a colon cleanse diet, Schlep. But the benefits of fasting don't come from the concoction but from the lack of digestion. Which is why the maple syrup is included. It's a simple sugar which breaks down without digestion. Blackstrap molasses is the only other sugar like this, if i recall correctly.

As for the icky part. Wow is all I can say. If anyone is ever backed up, guzzle a quart of saltwater. Schnikes. Within a half an hour you will no longer be backed up.
    The plan calls for a laxative tea at night and the saltwater in the morn. It works. I gotta say.

Again, it is not for everyone, but fasting is nothing new. Hippocrates said fasting was the first medicine and doctors since then have recommended it. To this day, fasting is common in Europe. Even one day a week can be helpful. However, the greatest effects are from prolonged periods of fasting where your organs are able to stop processing and start healing themselves. If you hurt your knee, you stay off of it. Same theory just applied to the every organ in the body.

I can't stress how much the breathing part is amazing. Never expected that side effect but within 3 days my breathing is so much easier and relaxed.
    I think I'm going to give this a try Yahtzee. Not to lose weight, so probably just for 2-3 days, but just to cleanse my body and all that jazz. We'll see how it goes!

213 this morning. That makes 13pds since the New Year.

How's everyone else doing?
    Yahtzee

I was 211.4 (down 14 total and 3 since last week.) yesterday afternoon. Did 30 miles on an exercise bike, sat in a sauna for 5 minutes, ate OK, and then went out and drank some awesome beer (Bell's Christma Ale) to celebrate a friends birthday. Nice little reward for all my hard work.

Lots of coffee in the morning, healthy choice or lean cuisine for lunch, and then a chicken breast with some veggies for dinner. So far so good but I need to suck it up before the Super Bowl. I live an hour south of Indy and there are tons of parties to go to.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Hmmm- remember I was doing the "lemonade cleanse" (just to cleanse, not lose weight)? I have to say, I don't think it's for me... The pepper on an empty stomache does not make me feel energetic and clean, just ill... (Which probably helps with weight loss- but is not my cup of tea).

The lemonade/maple syrup combo tastes so good though...

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    213 this morning. That makes 13pds since the New Year.

How's everyone else doing?
    272 when I returned from Florida and now 269. Without taking a laxative in the morning and evening

Shooting for a couple pounds a week. Slow and steady. I want to change habits as much as I do lose the weight, so I'm trying not to do anything I couldn't continue to do after I reach 230 or so.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Hmmm- remember I was doing the "lemonade cleanse" (just to cleanse, not lose weight)? I have to say, I don't think it's for me... The pepper on an empty stomache does not make me feel energetic and clean, just ill... (Which probably helps with weight loss- but is not my cup of tea).

The lemonade/maple syrup combo tastes so good though...

Understand, ShLep. I love the cayenne. It makes me feel full. Like I actually ate something.

Doesn't hurt to try something new, though.

On the bright side, you have plenty of maple syrup now make tasty treats tastier.
    Yahtzee

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    272 when I returned from Florida and now 269. Without taking a laxative in the morning and evening

Shooting for a couple pounds a week. Slow and steady. I want to change habits as much as I do lose the weight, so I'm trying not to do anything I couldn't continue to do after I reach 230 or so.
    A couple of pounds a week is a great goal. In four months, that's 32 pounds. Not too shabby. Or flabby.
    Yahtzee

Images

Love syrup!

199.1 today, down 1.5 since the New Year despite more than 200km of walking, running, and skiing. Yeah I knocked on 196 for a day or two before hitting on some junk food. Life is good though. Skiing out onto the river into that snow storm was a real rush, even if I am 30 pounds overweight. My foot is sore, but I think I can work through that, and a job would help, but life is good. Ran 3 miles with my daughter today.

I am just a poor boy, though my story's seldom told
    I have squandered my resistance for a pocketful of mumbles, such are promises
    All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear
    And disregards the rest (hmmmm....mmmm......)

When I left my home and my family, I was no more than a boy
    In the company of strangers.....
    In the quiet of the railway station, runnin' scared
    Laying low, seeking out the poorer quarters, where the ragged people go
    Looking for the places only they would know

(Li la li... li la la la li la li)
    (La la la la li...)

Seeking only workman's wages, I come looking for a job, but I get no offers.....
    Just a come-on from the whores on Seventh Avenue
    I do declare, there were times when I was so lonesome
    I took some comfort there (li la la, la, la la)

Now the years are rolling by me, they are rockin' even me
    I am older than I once was, and younger than I'll be, that's not unusual
    No it isn't strange, after changes upon changes, we are more or less the same
    After changes we are more or less the same ...

(La la la la li...)

And I'm laying out my winter clothes, wishing I was gone, goin' home
    Where the New York city winters aren't bleedin' me, leadin' me to go home

In the clearing stands a boxer, and a fighter by his trade
    And he carries the reminder of every glove that laid him down or cut him
    'Til he cried out in his anger and his shame
    I am leaving, I am leaving, but the fighter still remains
    Yes, he still remains ...

(La la la la li...)
    (Li la la la li la li)
    (La la la la li...)
    (Li la la la li la li)

"Now the years are rolling by me, they are rockin' even me
    I am older than I once was, and younger than I'll be, that's not unusual
    No it isn't strange, after changes upon changes, we are more or less the same
    After changes we are more or less the same ... "

The great lost verse. Love it.

Don't plateaus suck?!
    Yahtzee

210.2. A nice drop. 16pds since the New Year. Only 30 more to go.
    Yahtzee

Cinammon is supposed to have fat burning properties as well. When dieting I eat a lot of boneless, skinless chicken breats. I make a rub that has a lot of cayenne pepper with some seasoned or garlic salt, anything else I decide to throw in, and cinammon. I can broil it and it tastes great without having to add BBQ sauces or anything like that.

Are there any other fat burning spices I can add to my rub mix?
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++