WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I am 47, male, 6' 0.5"

January1: 200 pounds with a 40" belly = 25.6% fat, 148.8 pounds lean body mass.
    My goal is 170 pounds with a 32" belly = 12.0% fat, 150.0 pounds lean body mass.

http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/
    A new low just after indoor track yesterday, at 196.4#.
    Back up to 199.4# this morning.

Feeling a bit stiff and sore. 2 hour walk or ski today.
    21k run or run/walk tommorow.

Regarding hiking shorts falling down. lol
    I'm seriously thinking about suspenders, because keeping the belt tight
    might make me more prone to a hernia, by letting my stomach stay weak.

Images

Hiked 9 3/4 miles without blisters or chafing today. I was especially surprised because I wore my gortex leather boots on a trail where I had been previously wearing shoes on a sidewalk. I did get some hotspots, but that was mostly because I was going faster at the end than I should have because I had something I had to get to. I'll try for 10+ on Wednesday, which may really be a challenge because it'll be raining.

@JAK, don't worry about a belt giving you a hernia. If it can do that, you have some serious core muscle problems and shouldn't be carrying a pack until you improve that situation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    Someone posted about chaffing. I'm afraid even skinny folks deal with that from what I've read.
    Some skinny folks chafe, but we all have different body types. I certainly didn't chafe when I was a 140 lb teenager and could knock out 20's like they were nothing. Even last year I didn't chafe when I was ~180 lbs. Unfortunately I do chafe at 215. I'm almost down to 210. Hopefully I don't have to lose much more for chafing to go away.

Images

JUST GO HIKE!!! i left over weight and had to get off for weight loss. JUST GO HIKE, don't look for an excuse not to.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

You mean you lost too much weight?
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Hiked 9 3/4 miles without blisters or chafing today. I was especially surprised because I wore my gortex leather boots on a trail where I had been previously wearing shoes on a sidewalk. I did get some hotspots, but that was mostly because I was going faster at the end than I should have because I had something I had to get to. I'll try for 10+ on Wednesday, which may really be a challenge because it'll be raining.

@JAK, don't worry about a belt giving you a hernia. If it can do that, you have some serious core muscle problems and shouldn't be carrying a pack until you improve that situation.
    Well, I have a pretty strong core, and no hernia symptoms, but alot of well trained atheletes still get hernias at some point. One way I strengthen my core is with running. Wearing a tight belt to keep my leggings up in winter, hiking or running, might lead to weaker core muscles. So that is my point. To strengthen your core, don't wear a tight belt.

Images

Sounds good. I don't see how you could possibly wear a belt tight enough to cause you problems, especially when you're already using your core. Hernias are kind of weird though since they're not exactly caused by core weakness, but rather a weird alignment in your muscles. Without doing a bunch of research, my guess is that as long as you flex your core like you should (gut out while flexing all core muscles including stabilizers) when you have a lot of interabdominal pressure, you'd be doing about as much as you can.

Images

I really think chaffing is a matter of moisture control more than anything. Of course if you get heavier your body produces more moisture.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Well I got into the bad habit recently with these hiking shorts I really like of tightening the belt to keep my leggings from falling down too much as I run or hike or ski. I run and hike and ski better if they are kept well up. Anyhow, last week I ran a 21km for the first time in awhile, and it went great because I've been working up to it, but my gut started to hurt a little where I had the belt so tight. So I loosened it, but that got me to thinking about hernias and tight belts and whether suspenders might be better in winter to keep everything up. Less of a problem in summer, where there is less to keep up.

It is a very good post to know some details about the weight loss goals. Weight loss goals are exact purpose of a person to lose weight. By setting weight loss goals, a person has an idea that where he wants to end up, as far as body weight and fitness are concerned. Weight loss goals serve to keep a person on trail in the direction of his ideal body weight, and tend to encourage him to attach with his fitness schedule and good eating habits.

Love all the comments.

I weighed myself yesterday and I was at 214.6 which is an 11 pound loss in one week. Recall that I ate a huge lunch and pounded down a ton of water before weighing in. I guess the good thing about being a hiker is I know that water weighs a lot!

I have done some form of exercise each of the last 8 days. 45 to 60 minutes on an exercise bike OR 7 to 9 mile walks. I have been fairly successful with the dieting and I know if I cut back on the carb intake the belly fat will burn off.

Goal for next Wed is to get down to 210 and that would be an honest 4.6 pound loss.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

ARGH! I'm gonna pass you, fredmugs. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday! My weight this morn was 215 exactly. I am just a step behind. FARTLEK training on the treadmill seems to be having the most effect. My wife and I do small weights training 3x a week, as well. Not really dieting just not eating crap. Or after 8pm. Or drinking anything besides water or coffee w/Splenda.

Congrats on the good work.
    Yahtzee

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    I HAVE to be under 222 lbs. because that's when my sleep apnea disappears
    i'll bet you are loved in the shelter around 3am
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bird312 View Post
    Anyone trying to improve their health should consider this program

http://themastercleanse.org/

I believe it is one of the best available. Loosing weight is only a small part of what this can do for you.

You have to be kidding me. This stuff is a joke. The Lemonade Diet? LOL, yea OK.

Geezer

Jeez, where are the heavyweights in this thread? I came back from vacation at 272 last week, was 268 this morning. I'd been hoping for a couple pounds a week, so it's all good.
    Frosty

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Bird312 View Post
    Anyone trying to improve their health should consider this program

http://themastercleanse.org/

I believe it is one of the best available. Loosing weight is only a small part of what this can do for you.
    I guess weight isn't the only thing you "loosen."

from the link you posted:

"The Master Cleanse is such a simple program. There is nothing that works more simply than this: first, squeeze Fresh Lemon Juice, then add Rich Maple Syrup, and Cayenne Pepper into Pure Water. Drink a minimum of six to twelve glasses throughout the day whenever one is hungry. Take a laxative, morning and evening"
    Frosty

Images

Pretty sure it won't improve your overall health at all, just drop a couple pounds.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Images

The lemonade "diet", I mean.

Images

It's the hippie diet for those that would rather do strange things with their butt instead of putting the right things in the other end.

As someone who as done the mastercleanse 4 times, let me say this much. I love it. Almost all the weight I lose, I gain back within 4 or 5 days, so I wouldn't say it is a weight loss plan. For example, last time i did it i lost 17pds in 10 days and gained 10 back fairly quickly.

However, man do you feel good when you are doing it. I cannot express how much easier breathing becomes. It was a real eye-opener. I had tons of energy. Was able to go for six-mile hikes on day 6 and 7. Slept better than I had in years.

I get that it gets pooh-poohed as a fad or whatever, but it's my experience that it is beneficial for overall health. Human beings have been fasting as a means to get healthy for thousands of years. It's not a cure-all but it is also not quackery.
    Yahtzee

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++