WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do you Trowel?

Quote Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
    Odd question for you guys/gals:

When no privy is available, and the you've "got one touching your underwear," do you pull out a trowel and dig a hole, do your business, and cover it up? Or do you just find a remote area to do the deed and carry on about your hike?

The reason I ask, is because in the thread about "trail annoyances" several poster's mentioned stumbling on piles of crap and toilet paper. Quite frankly, this surprised me as I thought it was common courtesy to dig a hole and then cover it all up.

What's your take?[/
    no trowel. overturn a rock or log, deposit, cover and walk on

Images

I did buy one of those "yuppie REI trowels", but I'm planning on buying those snow stakes too. If I'm happy with the stake, the trowel will definitely stay at home.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I did buy one of those "yuppie REI trowels", but I'm planning on buying those snow stakes too. If I'm happy with the stake, the trowel will definitely stay at home.
    you don't need either. plenty of "tools" in the woods

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I use the forest tools.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you don't need either. plenty of "tools" in the woods
    Hey, no need to call names.

Gotta go with Wolf on this one.

I mean I know they don't weigh much and they come in sorta handy, but at the end of the day, the orange shovel just looks goofy, period, kinda like those turquoise-blue high-top gaiters.

I see a guy with a trowel and I smile, especially if it's past Virginia.

Evacuating one's bowels while on a hiking trip is not such an involved process that it requires gadgets or tools.

Images

Seriously though, I get the trowel because if I do start a fire, I'd prefer it to be like this:

http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...ota-fire-hole/

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I use the forest tools.
    For me, that also includes a wad of leaves rather than TP that animals sometimes dig up. Personally, I have actually found leaves to work better than TP!

I can't find the reference right now, but 6 months back I read a pretty convincing article that said the best thing to do was to leave the "log" on the surface exposed to sunlight, that the bacteria and feces broke down much faster. His argument was that it was more sanitary. Now obviously where you are is important. He said to go 100 feet from the trail and away from any water source. If I was anywhere near a campsite/trail I would bury, but... I can see "let it shine" argument too.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStar View Post
    I can't find the reference right now, but 6 months back I read a pretty convincing article that said the best thing to do was to leave the "log" on the surface exposed to sunlight, that the bacteria and feces broke down much faster.
    i actually do that more often than not

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    Dig a cat hole. It's the nice thing to do.
    How often do you have a cat around when you need one?

If I was bushwacking off trail I might leave a steamer above ground. Usually though, in the very least I would cover it with forest litter. I never go within 50 yards of a trail, and I rarely use toilet paper. On the seashore I will go well below tide level, in a remote area, or bury it well off the beach. Winter gets tricky. Important to do it remote in winter. If you poop into a plastic bag, dump the frozen turd someplace remote, but bring the the plastic bag home, or burn it some place remote. I must admit however, there is one plastic bag of turd out there with my name on it. It haunts me to this day. Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post

. . . which is often referred to as "frosting a rock,"
    Ace of Cakes!!!!!!!!!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStar View Post
    I can't find the reference right now, but 6 months back I read a pretty convincing article that said the best thing to do was to leave the "log" on the surface exposed to sunlight, that the bacteria and feces broke down much faster. His argument was that it was more sanitary. Now obviously where you are is important. He said to go 100 feet from the trail and away from any water source. If I was anywhere near a campsite/trail I would bury, but... I can see "let it shine" argument too.
    It's what the rest of the animal kingdom does, and I've found many dessicated turds on rocks. Since they're full of mouse bones, I assume they're not hiker turds, but you never know! Personally, I go waaay off trail, drop the bomb, and mix it into the soil with a stick before covering with duff.

Images

I won't go above ground. I've gone rock climbing in an area where illegal immigrants frequently pass thru. Someone left a duce in that canyon and reeked it up something fierce from wall to wall of the canyon. I'd never subject other outdoor enthusiasts to that if I have other options.

Just dig the hole...unless of course there is trajectory involved in which case a trench may be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    It's what the rest of the animal kingdom does, and I've found many dessicated turds on rocks. Since they're full of mouse bones, I assume they're not hiker turds, but you never know! Personally, I go waaay off trail, drop the bomb, and mix it into the soil with a stick before covering with duff.
    Those are probably owl pellets. Owls can't digest the fur and bones to they hack them back up in a nice neat pellet. I have both bought and collected owl pellets for various scout projects and just for my own kids to dissect and learn.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Reprobate View Post
    How often do you have a cat around when you need one?
    My wife has 7, but she would let me take them hiking.
    Alcohol was involved!

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

That was supposed to be won't not would.
    Alcohol was involved!

I dig a cathole and bury my human waste. I have used sticks, stakes and trowels to dig the cathole. One advantage of digging with a stick--you get to leave the stick behind when you are done. If you use a trowel or a stake, you usually have to clean off at least some dirt (or other "matter") from the stake/trowel before putting it back in your pack.

I was hiking on a trail other than the AT this past summer. Right next to a fork in the trail, someone had left a potenially recordbreaking-sized "fecal deposit" above ground--accompanied by an equally impressive amount of used toilet paper (also above ground). A creek was only 30-40 feet away--downhill from the "pile" and the paper. I had previously planned on stopping and having my lunch at that fork in the trail and refilling my water bottles in the creek. I changed my mind when I saw that "masterpiece". I am constantly amazed at the inconsiderate behavior of a small minority of our fellow hikers.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++