WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dreaming of a Thru-Hike! AeroGuyDC's Avatar

Default Camping Along the Trail

(Warning: AT Newbie Question)

As I scour maps to prepare for my upcoming (first) section hike of 112 miles, and seeing all the shelters plotted along the trail, I began to wonder if camping trailside at most any point along the trail was common? Or is it generally understood that reaching a certain shelter is the goal for sleeping for the night (whether in a tent or in the shelter)?

Suppose that I reach a point of exhaustion or hunger, and decide to just "stop there" for the night. Aside from private property, is it common to see tents along the trail outside of the normal shelter areas?

Quote Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Suppose that I reach a point of exhaustion or hunger, and decide to just "stop there" for the night. Aside from private property, is it common to see tents along the trail outside of the normal shelter areas?
    yes it is ....

It's not that common to see at all, most camping on the AT is usually confined to designated campsites or around shelters. However, you will see it from time to time. And, as long as there are no camping restrictions in the area, it's fine to do as well. At least as far as I know.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yes it is ....
    LW has a lot more experience in this area (and most others re: the AT) than me... I defer to him on this one.

there are other designated campsites along the trail as well, except in the national parks (Smokies, Shennandoah, Whites). The main thing is that hikers try to be near a water source at night so they can cook dinner and fill up waterbottles for the next morning. There is no restriction on where you can camp outside of the 3 forementioned parks. Actually finding a suitable spot might be an issue in some areas. Thick rhododendron or briars or marshy conditions my limit your options.

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    There is no restriction on where you can camp outside of the 3 forementioned parks.
    There are other areas where you aren't allowed to, though not nearly as large as those two areas. Right beside Nuclear Lake in NY is one, inside Clarence Farnstock Park (I believe that's the one... the park just east of the Metro North stop in NY) is another. Whatever guidebook you have should tell you the restrictions, and they should be posted on site as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    there are other designated campsites along the trail as well, except in the national parks (Smokies, Shennandoah, Whites). The main thing is that hikers try to be near a water source at night so they can cook dinner and fill up waterbottles for the next morning. There is no restriction on where you can camp outside of the 3 forementioned parks. Actually finding a suitable spot might be an issue in some areas. Thick rhododendron or briars or marshy conditions my limit your options.
    SNP does not restrict you other than having limits as to how far or close you can be from certain things, campgrounds, water sources, roads etc. they ask that you follow LNT guidelines.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

water sources and campsites are listed in either the AT data book or the Thru Hikers Companion. might be worth while to purchase either of those for your trip as well.

Dreaming of a Thru-Hike! AeroGuyDC's Avatar

Thanks to all of you for your responses. This forum is awesome.

I have the 2009 version of the AT Data Book, but have not yet deciphered point to point accommodations like water, camp sites, etc. just yet. I probably could have answered my own question by looking at the AT Data Book. Neverhtheless, I appreciate all of your responses.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Stop where you want - except in certain areas that have rules like GSMNP and SNP, etc. I prefer already established and used campsites myself which are numerous down south and by water sources (see maps).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    SNP does not restrict you other than having limits as to how far or close you can be from certain things, campgrounds, water sources, roads etc. they ask that you follow LNT guidelines.

And you need a permit (which you can get upon entering the park). And rangers do check them.

Hiking Blog

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    There are other areas where you aren't allowed to, though not nearly as large as those two areas. Right beside Nuclear Lake in NY is one, inside Clarence Farnstock Park (I believe that's the one... the park just east of the Metro North stop in NY) is another. Whatever guidebook you have should tell you the restrictions, and they should be posted on site as well.
    CT has restrictions also. So does DWG area, and no camping when you first enter NJ. The Whites do as well, usually near the huts. Also some areas in PA. Guidebooks usually tell you.

Hiking Blog

Aside from private property, is it common to see tents along the trail outside of the normal shelter areas?

Just follow Leave No Trace. Enjoy Camping!
    21.1% Done

Images

Be quiet in between the campsites and shelters, you might be passing someone asleep in their hammock.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

The last few years I've stopped at shelter areas most of the time just to eat my meals and tented in the woods off of the trail. I likt to stelth camp as long as I don't break any rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Jim View Post
    I likt to stelth camp as long as I don't break any rules.
    You see, to me that is just called camping. Stealth Camping in my book is when I do break the rules.

Images

Ah!!! So that's how you spell "Stealth". I'll have to read your book.

Images

Default ATC's Hike the Trail, etc.

I have the 2009 version of the AT Data Book ...
    Now you have ALDHA's Companion too! Camping regulations vary from place to place. Refer to your maps, read your handbook and pay attention to posted signage.

See also ATC's Hike the Trail, Plan a Hike and Camping and Shelters. Click on the page titles or my screen name to locate the Straight Forward thread called ATC's Hike the Trail. Alternatively, point your browser to www.appalachiantrail.org and click on The Trail tab.

Dispersed camping is a neutral term preferred by AT resource managers.

Default New Yori - no

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    There are some specific areas in NY like the ones you mentioned plus Harriman Park where camping is prohibited or restricted. But apparently you can't camp anywhere in NY except at shelters/designated sites- at least if this thread is accurate. But I'm still in doubt. The latest (2007) NJ/NY Guidebook states stipulates the camping restriction but the previous version did not. I have the 2008 ALDHA Companion which does not mention the restriction but the 2009 version does.

I never got an answer to my question on the other thread of who or what organization made the change. My suspicion is the the NYNJ Trail Conference simply implemented a policy change through editorial discretion i.e. the Guidebook. So I'm not sure how "legal" this restriction is east of the Hudson.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    There are some specific areas in NY like the ones you mentioned plus Harriman Park where camping is prohibited or restricted. But apparently you can't camp anywhere in NY except at shelters/designated sites- at least if this thread is accurate. But I'm still in doubt. The latest (2007) NJ/NY Guidebook states stipulates the camping restriction but the previous version did not. I have the 2008 ALDHA Companion which does not mention the restriction but the 2009 version does.

I never got an answer to my question on the other thread of who or what organization made the change. My suspicion is the the NYNJ Trail Conference simply implemented a policy change through editorial discretion i.e. the Guidebook. So I'm not sure how "legal" this restriction is east of the Hudson.
    Good question. All I can say for sure is you get any hassell from me as long as you are being smart about it in my section.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++