WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Health Insurance Article

Attached is some information on health insurance for people who may be doing a thru hike or similar trips. If you have any questions of items that should be added let me know.

For those who care I teach Finance and Insurance at New Mexico State University where I am Director of the Insurance and Risk Management Center. I was also an independent insurance agent for many years.

Images

Younger adventurers may be covered by a parent's health insurance policy especially if they are full-time students.

Images

I would leave out the reference to the current bill in Congress.

I disagree with COBRA being the best option. If a person is young, healthy and insurable it is probably not a good option. If you know you have a job to go back to, and you are healthy and insurable, short term is the best option. If a person is uninsurable COBRA is the best option, however, if they are not planning on returning to that employer, they are taking a huge risk. They won't be able to get coverage until they find a job with an employer who offers coverage.
    Individual policies are the best option for those who are healthy, and will not be returning to their old job. For these people it is stupid not to buy a High Deductible plan that is Health Savings Account qualified.

I'm not sure about the Workers comp for self employed people.

I live in a first world country.
    No problems.

Images

Default Link recommended elsewhere today

Go to www.eHealthinsurance.com and see what's available.

I'm 54 and have a catastrophic policy that costs me $250 a month,not bad considering my age.The trick is to save some money for the small emergencies so you can..gasp...actually pay for them yourself,kinda like we did in the 60's and 70's.

It's called personal responsibility.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Younger adventurers may be covered by a parent's health insurance policy especially if they are full-time students.
    no longer have to be a full time student. Recent change for us. Kids can stay on until age 26 regardless.

Health insurance is too costly, and does not cover enough. It needs to be cheaper and more available. I am a 30 year old male, in great shape, I work out, ect, and still could not find an affordable policy anywhere. Fortunately(or unfortunately) I have VA healthcare. I rarely get sick, so it is not much of an issue.

Images

I went to the hospital recently and now I owe them $2300! I'd love to know how they come up with these ridiculous prices.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    I went to the hospital recently and now I owe them $2300! I'd love to know how they come up with these ridiculous prices.
    And what made it a rediculous price?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I went to the emergency room with a migraine years ago. I was throwing up, could barely see, and in a ridiculous amount of pain. I got one shot, and my bill was $700. Tell me that is not way overpriced, as well as unaffordable for the working man.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    The amount that it came to - $2300
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

When I took a leave of absence from my job(to hike) and my health benefits were put on hold I picked up the low cost pay from month to month Careington Dental Plan that provided for my dental needs/emergencies while hiking. Might want to check them out if you have no dental coverage while hiking. Careington gives good discounts for virtually all dental services. It is however not dental insurance.

Default thanks for the advice

good stuff thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    Health insurance is too costly, and does not cover enough. It needs to be cheaper and more available. I am a 30 year old male, in great shape, I work out, ect, and still could not find an affordable policy anywhere. Fortunately(or unfortunately) I have VA healthcare. I rarely get sick, so it is not much of an issue.
    Wow, I don't know where you live, but here in Florida, a 30 year old male in good shape can get a policy around $40 a month. Cheaper than your cable bill, I'm sure.

I went to the emergency room with a migraine years ago. I was throwing up, could barely see, and in a ridiculous amount of pain. I got one shot, and my bill was $700. Tell me that is not way overpriced, as well as unaffordable for the working man.

And you just accepted that amount? Let me tell you how you get that knocked way down. ASK FOR AN ITEMIZED BILL! Once you have that document you can see what exactly they are billing you for. There are alot of things they will try and bill you for that never happen. For example, they will try and bill you $150 for laundry services, nevermind that you never had them launder anything, you had the opportunity to use it, so they try and bill you for it. Getting billed for services not rendered is not legal. Also, that shot? Under current US law(if you live in the US) hospitals, urgent care facilities, or doctors cannot gouge a treatment over 10% of the current going rate for that medicine or procedure. All you have to do is call the local urgent care, or doctor's office and ask how much a certain medicine is. Then confront the billing department. They will try and tell you that cost is what they had contracted with the insurance company. Tell them you're not with an insurance company. Getting these over inflated prices down isn't hard, but it does take a bit of effort. Effort that most people choose not to exercise.

Images

As a note. It is illegal to charge a cash paying person less than the amount that medicare will reimburse for a proceedure or a shot for that matter. Punishable by 10,000 dollar fine per occurce based on a percentage of your charts. So for example suppose I was audited on 20 charts and I did this one time. It is a $10,000 fine on 5 percent of my 11,000 active charts.

Now I'm not saying this is fair to the doctors or the patients but it is a fact of life and healthcare in this country.

Recently a doctor in new york wanted to charge a flat rate to come to his clinics, he was threatened with fines and a lawsuit from medicare if he didn't raise the price and charge more.

Does the system need fixed? Hell Yes. Did ObamaCare fix it or even address it Hell No.

Sorry about the soap box but some things get under my skin.

BTW My thru-hike is scheduled for 6 years from now when my youngest son finishes High School. My plan is to provide free medical care from GA to ME. This will be expensive on my part (300 plus/per for license in every state) and the extra weight of equipment / meds, but I feel it will make the entire experience even more enjoyable.

HYOH
    Doc Mike

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    And you just accepted that amount? Let me tell you how you get that knocked way down. ASK FOR AN ITEMIZED BILL! Once you have that document you can see what exactly they are billing you for. There are alot of things they will try and bill you for that never happen. For example, they will try and bill you $150 for laundry services, nevermind that you never had them launder anything, you had the opportunity to use it, so they try and bill you for it. Getting billed for services not rendered is not legal. Also, that shot? Under current US law(if you live in the US) hospitals, urgent care facilities, or doctors cannot gouge a treatment over 10% of the current going rate for that medicine or procedure. All you have to do is call the local urgent care, or doctor's office and ask how much a certain medicine is. Then confront the billing department. They will try and tell you that cost is what they had contracted with the insurance company. Tell them you're not with an insurance company. Getting these over inflated prices down isn't hard, but it does take a bit of effort. Effort that most people choose not to exercise.
    Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to do this next time if I ever need to go to the emergency room.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to do this next time if I ever need to go to the emergency room.
    Remember not to be a jerk - the employee that you'll be talking too didn't create the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Remember not to be a jerk - the employee that you'll be talking too didn't create the bill.
    Yeah, I am nice to people, usually. I have been a wage slave in a crap job before, so I know what it is like.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++