WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I'm surprised no one sees what is really wrong with this statement. Not that you are wrong, I mean, but basically it means, if you are poor, you can just die.
    For a start, you might want to google up Medicaid.

Insurance protects one's financial assets (to some extent) and gives a patient more healthcare options (to some extent).

The system is messed up, but it doesn't mean the poor are left on the curb to die. On the other it does mean a middle aged guy with a house that is paid and wants to do without for a bit is taking a greater gamble than a kid with $3000 in the bank. Everyone,s situation is different, of course.

Journal Entries

Some may also look into medical cost sharing programs if medical insurance is out of reach, medical cost sharing also qualified for the Obama health care tax issue the same as medical insurance. They are at a fraction of the cost, something in the $100/month range, work a bit differently, as money pooled is redistributed to those in need. Most if not all however are christian based, though there may be ones that differ in that and if anyone knows of one please let me know.

Peace

My problem with finding health insurance is the pre-existing condition exclusion/riders issue. What do you do for health insurance if you have a pre-existing condition and can't get health insurance through an employer? Too bad for you, so it seems! Thankfully, I do have insurance through my employer, but I don't love my job and want to leave it to hike the AT. But since I don't want to go back to my employer after my hike, I can't use COBRA. So the only way I can do a thru is if I can get private health insurance, and I specifically need it to cover my pre-existing conditions, which due to their nature could be issues for me on the AT. I'm waiting to hear back but odds are not good for me...It's hard to plan a trip when you don't even know if you'll be able to go. The health insurance situation in this country is a mess, especially for peeps like me....Even if I wait til 2014, when Obamacare goes into effect so I can't be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions, will the insurance even cover ALL my conditions or will they stack on a bunch of riders? And if so, can it possibly be affordable?? Does anybody know about this?

Default aarg

Covered, but not cheap. Unfortunately, I am stuck with my current plan for a while longer.

Journal Entries

So I am curious then, I will not have insurance coverage for my hike. Should I risk it or purchase insurance for the trip? What have others done? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hikingirl View Post
    So I am curious then, I will not have insurance coverage for my hike. Should I risk it or purchase insurance for the trip? What have others done? Thanks
    Get at least catastrophic coverage. A broken leg these days can run $10K+ even without surgery.

Images

I didn't have health insurance for years as back in the day agencies didn't offer. I was younger had no chronic illnesses figured I couldn't treat myself since I'm a nurse.

Here are a few of my tricks THAT I USED for a nonhiking life -
    For bad sprains where I can't decide if it may in fact be broken get a script from a chiropractor ($50 or under) for an X-ray, while they can't prescribe drugs they can order films. Use a non-hospital affiliated imaging clinic ($50 or under), much cheaper.
    Sinus/head cold I scheduled dental visit ($35) & complained of a tooth ache in my upper jaw. I mention that I have a bad sinus thing going on & I wasn't sure if it was that or a cavity. Dentists can write scripts.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieSarah View Post
    My problem with finding health insurance is the pre-existing condition exclusion/riders issue. What do you do for health insurance if you have a pre-existing condition and can't get health insurance through an employer? Too bad for you, so it seems! Thankfully, I do have insurance through my employer, but I don't love my job and want to leave it to hike the AT. But since I don't want to go back to my employer after my hike, I can't use COBRA. So the only way I can do a thru is if I can get private health insurance, and I specifically need it to cover my pre-existing conditions, which due to their nature could be issues for me on the AT. I'm waiting to hear back but odds are not good for me...It's hard to plan a trip when you don't even know if you'll be able to go. The health insurance situation in this country is a mess, especially for peeps like me....Even if I wait til 2014, when Obamacare goes into effect so I can't be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions, will the insurance even cover ALL my conditions or will they stack on a bunch of riders? And if so, can it possibly be affordable?? Does anybody know about this?
    I am not quite sure if all of what you have writtne is accurate. If you change employers, you can port your existing insurance via COBRA. However, if you drop your existing insurance, you still have 60 or so days of no coverage before you would become party to requirements of pre-existing conditions clauses of a new health plan.
    As long as you had 12 months of current coverage, you should be fine. So if you quit your job and did not elect cobra, and you had 12 months health care coverage under your old employer, youo could switch jobs and get covered under a new employer's health plan within 60 days with no PreX clause requirements. Let's say you had a 4 month lapse of coverage (which would actually be a 6 months lapse not counting the 60 day eligibility period) between jobs, You would get immeidiate coverage under your new employer, but you might not be eligible under your new employers coverage for any PreX for 4 months, but that also depends on your employers insurance requirements. some monitor, some do not..

However - If you choose COBRA, you do not have to go back to work for your old employer. COBRA is an option to allow you to continue (or port) your existing coverage for a period of up to 18 months (might be 12 months - I cannot recall) while you seek new employment or new health care coverage. And you do not have to elect COBRA until the 60th day into your eligible COBRA period, and it is retro to the first day of COBRA. The beauty of COBRA is that it offers evidence of insurability so you can join a new health care plan after your hike and have no PreX Exclusions. as far as 2014, PPACA does not offer a gaurantee that you would pay the same for coverage as someone without your medical conditions, it just dis-allows health care plans from excluding you from receiving coverage. In other words, if a healthy 20 year old is paying $200/month and you are 55 with diabetes, cancer and cardio disease, you won't be paying $200/month, you might be paying a much higher $1600/month...However, you should be eligible for coverage and your provider will likely be paying your claims on day 1 and won't be making any money off you. Under PPACA, ther will be PreX Pools in which you would be able to enroll for teh time period of any exclusion. But this is enough for this forum. for today. at least..... Though If it is a concern to you (and it sounds like it is), you should read up on it and discuss it with your employers benefits office..
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

This article is very informative, thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    And what made it a rediculous price?
    It make them ridiculous if you compare to other countries. In Norway, we have a 60% higher average income than in the USA, but still privatized hospitals charge you much less than in the US. Of course, they compete with public hospitals where medical care are free. But still, they manage to make a good living out of their pracitice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++