WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have my own business had to buy Health insurance directly. For a family of 4, I pay $600 a month. That is eyes glasses, $30 co-pay for generic meds and the doc and a $100 co-pay for a hospital visit.

Shop around, for a single person, along with dropping coverages you don't need, it might be cheap. And the best part is the Blue Cross premium is taken from my checking account, so you don't have to rely on an employer giving you coverage, or milking some government program. Just save up the money, leave it in an account and go.

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    Wow, I don't know where you live, but here in Florida, a 30 year old male in good shape can get a policy around $40 a month. Cheaper than your cable bill, I'm sure.
    Not really, I don't watch TV.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rashmi777 View Post
    hello, i am rashmi, it is a good site. debt management plan refers to a repayment plan designed especially for you.If you do, then debt management could be just what you have been looking for.
    ================================
    Rashmi, I think you are a dirty rotten spammer that just joined this site today so that you could spam people.

Yo Momma didn't raise you right.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Images

Yea, they charge waaaay to much for fixing crap. Don't let them screw you or your insurance company over!

A little work goes a long way.

Health insurance is a must for everyone in today's world...we should not compromise on it...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyScott View Post
    Health insurance is a must for everyone in today's world...we should not compromise on it...
    Sounds like someone in the insurance business.
    I dropped mine in 1985 (was paying aprox 340 a month)

Had to go to the hospital in the states twice since then. both times it cost me less than $500 (each)

so, I wouldn't agree with your statement.
    I figure I saved about $80k so far. (probably more cause rates are probably up from that price)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Default Comments?

I thought comments were to pertain to the article itself and include corrections and suggestions for additions or improvements.

What I see increasingly looks like a thread debating the necessity of medical insurance, politics and what some believe to be exorbitant costs associated with medical care rather than comments that might lead to an improved and released article.

Health insurance is something that you should not do without. The reason to have it is in case of catastrophic circumstances.

Firsthand example: When I was 17 my brother was in a catastrophic accident. The cost was well over $250k. That was in 1989. AND he elected to stop reconstructive surgery after the third procedure. My parents out of pocket medical expenses stopped after $5k. And it STILL wreaked havoc on their finances for years. The costs add up all over the place, unbelievably fast.

Secondhand example: I had an employee two years ago, who was on her way home after working second shift. It was about 11PM and she was on a roadway that was not very busy. As she crossed an intersection with the sigal another driver struck her car at high speed, Tbone style. She suffered from intense dizzy spells and nausea for over 4 months. The other driver also claimed to have been crossing with the light - the case was initially written up as no fault until a witness came forward weeks later. It was over half a year before she received an insurance settlment for her totalled car.

Neither of these real life incidents were readily predicable. Either could happen to most of us. My brother was caught in an explosion and nearly died. My employee was obeying traffic laws and could not avoid being struck. It could happen to me or you.

Insurance is a buffer against total ruin if that unlikely event does occur. I don't know why the same people who think that they will win lotto often believe that they simply will not be struck by lightning.

No, I don't sell it; but I do have it.

The term health insurance (popularly known as Medical Insurance or Mediclaim) is a type of insurance that covers your medical expenses.The concept of health insurance is new in India but its awareness is growing fast. Health insurance comes in handy in case of severe emergencies. Life is unpredictable, insurance can make it safe and secure from bearing huge financial loss. A health insurance policy is a contract between an insurance company and an individual. Sometimes it is associated with covering disability and custodial needs. The contract is renewable annually.

Journal Entries

Health insurance is unfortunately necessary. The entire medical industry is a giant scam. They charge different people different prices for the same things, and if you dont have a big-name insurer to negotiate your pricing for you, you may pay 10x as much for the same thing as those that have insurance. Different facilities charge dramatically different prices, and no one gives you price up front, or provides a guarantee of what you get for your money, sometimes..hundreds of thousands of dollars.

A second problem is that unfortunately we keep people alive too long today, when they shouldnt be, because we have the technology to do so. That puts tremendous burden on everyone thru exorbitant medicare/medicaid costs. Hospitals and doctors perform whatever procedures they can get away with to pad their pockets. They also must use best available technology or they could be liable if something went wrong. Best available technology in some cases is ridiculously expensive.

My dying dad had a tracheostomy done so he could be on a ventillator to breath without tube down throat. A 30 min procedure, which requires all of putting a 1/2" slit in his throat, and inserting a tube. The cost for this ultra-simple procedure.....$435,000. His medicare also had been used up so he was liable to pay out of pocket, or his estate was. Which the hospitals know.

The day he died , as he was dying, his heart failing, a scumbag surgeon came by to consult on a gastro procedure that would have made no difference at all, his body had been shutting down for several days.

In all, he maxed out his medicare, supplemental insurance, and died owing millions of dollars in expenses, because he wasnt allowed to die a the time he should have. Medical expenses are a leading cause of bankruptcy, even WITH insurance, supplemental insurance, you name it.

Heres a tip. Dont probate an estate until after several yrs, and those bills will go away. Screw the hospitals when you can, because they do it to you everyday.

Images

People have now had over a year and a half to comment upon this article and haven't suggested any substantial improvements. I take that to mean it's quite satisfactory as is.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    My dying dad had a tracheostomy done so he could be on a ventillator to breath without tube down throat. A 30 min procedure, which requires all of putting a 1/2" slit in his throat, and inserting a tube. The cost for this ultra-simple procedure.....$435,000. His medicare also had been used up so he was liable to pay out of pocket, or his estate was. Which the hospitals know.
    Hell, I did one of those in Iraq in 45 seconds with a pocketknife and an empty bic pen tube.

It does amaze me in our country that something as simple, basic, and necessary as health care is so expensive and unavailable.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    People have now had over a year and a half to comment upon this article and haven't suggested any substantial improvements. I take that to mean it's quite satisfactory as is.
    IMHO opinion the article is a bit too simplistic.

For example, it mentions short term health insurance as a viable option, but does not address how one might renew or replace such policies once the term expires. That seems to be a significant down side, in my opinion, but does not get sufficient attention.

Get a heart attack or diagnosed with cancer on the trail and your initial bills may be covered with your temporary policy, but you will soon be effectively uninsurable. Right?

To put this another way, your temp insurance plan might help you for a bit, but then you could be screwed for a lifetime. Unless you live in a state like Massachusetts, or can get on a spouses policy, etc...

Another thing the article doesn't cover is the difference between protecting your heath care options with insurance vs protecting your assets. That leads to the whole idea that no one insurance solution is best for everyone.
    Last edited by rickb; 07-24-2011 at 10:42.

Images

If you can afford health insurance then you should get it.
    If you can not afford health insurance then don't get it.

Its a matter of how well off you are.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    It's because Josefpeter woke the subject up to post his link to SPAM, just as his other posts, I guess it's some kinda robo posting thing where they fake knowing the subject.
    Seems to happen regularly on here.
    For some reason it's almost always the old postings they wake up, maybe to go under the radar.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Not health insurance related, but my GF and I have renters insurance through all state which will covers our belongings whilst traveling... Not that I anticipate being mugged for my pepsi can stove on the trail lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    If you can afford health insurance then you should get it.
    If you can not afford health insurance then don't get it.

Its a matter of how well off you are.

Panzer
    I'm surprised no one sees what is really wrong with this statement. Not that you are wrong, I mean, but basically it means, if you are poor, you can just die.

... maybe so, but your health care system and health insurance companies are predatory.

Best hiker insurance = duct tape
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++