WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    how you been man?
    Chance, whats up man? I hear you are a month into your PCT thru. Kick its ass. I'm in Haiti for the next year starting a disaster relief organization. Hope to see you at Trail Days one of these years.

-McB

If you are interested in the Haiti thing check us out on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/GrassRoots-United/111440292223121

Default Still available for questions, if you have 'em.

I still check in from time to time, so if you have any questions let me know.

-McBride

Thank you for the most excellent post.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world...gandhi

I have a question: how did you charge your iPod shuffle? I want to bring mine for tough days (it's one of the old models), but because it takes a charge from a computer, not batteries, I'm a bit on the leery side. I'm thinking of getting a Zen instead, but I like my old iPod, the only thing that's ever given it trouble is temps under -10F.
    Credendo Vides

Quote Originally Posted by KnittingMelissa View Post
    I have a question: how did you charge your iPod shuffle? I want to bring mine for tough days (it's one of the old models), but because it takes a charge from a computer, not batteries, I'm a bit on the leery side. I'm thinking of getting a Zen instead, but I like my old iPod, the only thing that's ever given it trouble is temps under -10F.
    I have one too - I was thinking maybe it could be recharged on a library computer, or if a motel/hostel whatever had a computer available. Can you do me a favor and leave me a PM if you get a response?

TF
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

I used one of the iGo Charge Anywhere wall chargers for my smartphone. In addition to charging your device, it has an internal battery that recharges so you can get another charge while on the trail. We found lots of places will let you charge your phone if you ask - restaurants, hostels, etc. With this, you can just plug in the wall unit when it is handy without having the cord with phone on the end hanging out in some high traffic area. I kept it easily accessible during the day for "opportunistic" charging at picnic pavillions or park restrooms while stopping for lunch. It also has two USB ports for charging two devices at once.

http://www.igo.com/mobile-device-cha...t/ps002730001/

Have you considered using a hammock?

Great article, thanks a ton!

Quote Originally Posted by KnittingMelissa View Post
    I found a 'Apple USB Power Adapter for iPod/iPhone' in a hiker box, it is the lightest way to go in my opinion:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Power-Ad...p_ob_e_title_0

Quote Originally Posted by jtbradyl View Post
    Have you considered using a hammock?
    Yeah, not really my thing. A lot of people swore by them but most ended up changing to a tent halfway through. I met a guy in Damascus that started his NOBO in Key West FL and he had just switched out of the hammock situation.

biggest downside for me was gear getting wet in the rain due to the lack of a place to put it. Even if it was underneath the hammock, the stuff still got wet. thats just from conversations with people and through observation.
    that and the weight savings was not really any at all when compared to a tarptent or similar single wall tent.

hope that helps.

-McBride

Still checking in from time to time; though I am living in Haiti so I'll check when I can.

-McBride

Default how did you

how did you cook in freezer bags without burning them or melting them??

how was the sushi place in front royal?

Images

Thanks for your time. Very informative!
    The hand may be quicker than the eye, but it is often proven that the mouth is a thousand times faster than the brain!

Gipsy

Still checking in...

Quote Originally Posted by nsdemon View Post
    how did you cook in freezer bags without burning them or melting them??
    Surprisingly enough freezer bags hold up with boiling hot water inside them. I would use my cat stove to boil water and put my dinner (dried pasta or whatever) into the bag, then pour the water into the bag, let it sit, drain, and add sauce or whatever else, give it a shake, and eat out of the bag.

Sometimes I would put a can of beef stew into a freezer bag and boil half a pot of water while holding the stew in the pot like a tea bag. It takes a little finesse to avoid melting the bag but the water is hot and clean afterwards and I used it for a cup of tea.

I hope that's clear

Still checking in from time to time.

-McB

Images

Hey mcbride - are these the stuff sacks you speak so highly of for your food bag? http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/p...ear-zipp-sacks

Tons of helpful information in this thread, its great to see the perspective AFTER the hike. Thank you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by McBride View Post
    Still checking in from time to time.

-McB
    Thanks for the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rowan View Post
    Hey mcbride - are these the stuff sacks you speak so highly of for your food bag? http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/p...ear-zipp-sacks

Tons of helpful information in this thread, its great to see the perspective AFTER the hike. Thank you.
    yep, that's them. Mine was slightly older maybe, because I notice 2 zippers on that bag. Either way its way better that having to dump out your food everytime you want a cliff bar.

-McB

McBride - Your post has been one of the most helpful pieces of information I have found. I am a hiking newbie planning an AT hike-thru. I have performed a great deal of product research but hearing from experienced hikers is always better. I have my pack planned to be about 28 pound including food & water or about 16.7 pounds without those items. Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us who have limited trekking experience!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++