WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default HEET, bloated bottle?

There's a discount store nearby that is selling Heet (yellow bottle) for a $1., but the bottles looks like they're ready to go into labor any minute. Are these bloated bottles considered safe for usage with the diy stoves?

Can't go wrong for a buck. Buy one, test it out, and if it works fine for you go and clean out their inventory.

Journal Entries
    Images

I would not wait, that is cheep. I don't know about the bottle swelling. The Heet I buy looks swollen to and it works just fine for me.
    I don't know

Thanks for the quick replies. I will go back there, tomorrow, and do a clean sweep on the supplies they have.

PS, I did buy one bottle just in case you all said yes, I figured I'd only be out a buck if ya all said nay.

Just out of curiosity....... What's been your best/favorite stove you've built so far?

Thus far, my fav has been the cat stoves including Zelph's cat stove.

I don't like keep HEET fuel in the original HEET bottles anyway; after one unhappy experience --- I think the cap didn't reseal really well --- I've always repackaged my HEET, typically into an empty soda pop (plastic) bottle.

Hi BrianLe,

Do mine sharing what went wrong with that bottle you think you may have left uncapped?

Btw, I've used up a bit of the bloated bottle testing stoves already. It appears I have a winner. I will for sure be going back for more.

I haven't had a bad experience with the heet at yet, but I did have a bad experience with one of my FF stoves. Scarrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy. I really have to be careful using that wicked on. Also the Tiki one gave me a scare, had to put that one out quickly today.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    I don't like keep HEET fuel in the original HEET bottles anyway; after one unhappy experience --- I think the cap didn't reseal really well --- I've always repackaged my HEET, typically into an empty soda pop (plastic) bottle.
    Same experience here BrianLe. Had heet all over my pack once. I typically use the small 12oz soda bottles. It's a perfect fit.

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Plastic bottles tend to expand when they are exposed to heat. It shouldn't affect the product inside.

"Do mine sharing what went wrong with that bottle you think you may have left uncapped?"
    Nope, didn't leave it uncapped, and it wasn't really that big a disaster as I always keep whatever fuel bottle I use in a gallon ziplock, and carry it in the external mesh of my pack. My vague recollection is that once opened, I had to keep it upright because the cap just didn't fit that tightly, or something along that line. After that I always repackaged. I have a sense that I tested this with a second HEET bottle and found the same problem, but I'm not positive --- Red Beard's post, however, reassures me that it's less likely to have been just idiocy on my part.

Anyway, never had a problem with a plastic soda bottle, and it's pretty easy to transfer.

Since all gasoline now has atleast 10% ethanol in it their is no need to add methanol to fuel to absorb water. The product is probably being phased out.
    "Today I have grown taller from walking with the trees." Karle Wilson Baker

Thumbs up Use it...

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Reprobate View Post
    Plastic bottles tend to expand when they are exposed to heat. It shouldn't affect the product inside.
    I had a couple of unopened bottles in the house for my stove making experiments and they bloated like that. As long as the foil seal is intact, the product is usable.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Thank you all for the info. Noing that there have been others with knowledge of the bloated bottle occurance and it's safe usage, is a big help.

Gosh darn, where's the edit button? I'm known for my spelling errors. Oh and just never see them till after I post. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Yes, I see them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Since all gasoline now has atleast 10% ethanol in it their is no need to add methanol to fuel to absorb water. The product is probably being phased out.
    Not all gasoline. I have some local non-chain stations that have big banners across their stores advertising that they only sell 100% gasoline.

Arrow Keep using it...

Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    A knowledgeable mechanic friend told me that the ethanol is not as effective in absorbing water as methanol. He recommended I keep using the Heet Yellow in the winter months.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Stoviegal View Post
    Gosh darn, where's the edit button? I'm known for my spelling errors. Oh and just never see them till after I post. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Yes, I see them all.
    just in case nobody answers this particular question you can't edit unless you are a donating member.

It's WB's way of saying give them money or you just have to look like an idiot because you can't type.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Good deal for a buck.

There are two types of caps on the yellow bottles, a pry off and a twist resealable one. Go with the twist style. The pry ones can leak once the foil seal is removed. I've never had the twist cap bottles leak.

daryl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++