WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bus Station

Default Bus Station

Who knows what's the closest bus terminal to Harpers Ferry W.V. ?
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Probably the easiest thing is going to Washington Union Station and taking MARC or Amtrak to Harpers Ferry.

I want to leave from Harpers Ferry not go to.....
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Images

how can you leave from there if you dont go there?? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Wolf View Post
    I want to leave from Harpers Ferry not go to.....
    Then take MARK or Amtrak to Washington Union Station and take the bus from there.

Who knows what's the closest bus terminal to Harpers Ferry W.V. ?
    Frederick, MD. It is about 20 miles.

Thanks Dove that's the answer I was looking for thinking about hiking from Catawba to there in May

The Frederick bus will take you to DC, via Baltimore. You will have to transfer to another bus once you get to DC if you are returning to TN. The only way to get to Frederick from HF other than a shuttle or hitch (not an easy hitch) is MARC, the Maryland train system. It's the exact same train you would take directly to DC, only you will have to get off it and make a transfer to Frederick. The train you get off will be arriving in DC about the same time you are arriving or still on your way to Frederick. Your choice, quick train trip to DC, or, five or six extra hours on the bus. And the train trip to DC will be cheaper.

OK that sounds doable... are there any trail towns in MD or PA that have bus service or are a easy hitch to a town that does offer bus service? Any clue on the nearest bus depot to Duncannon? I have a friend there that would possibly shuttle.

Virginia Tortoise

At one point in time, Greyhound stopped in Winchester, Leesburg and Fairfax, VA. If you could get to one of those towns from Harpers Ferry, you could take Greyhound north or south.

Images

If your hike is ending in Harpers Ferry why not just take Amtrak from there to DC? No mess no fuss. You can then take the buss from DC home.

The Amtrak station in Harpers Ferry is on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    At one point in time, Greyhound stopped in Winchester, Leesburg and Fairfax, VA. If you could get to one of those towns from Harpers Ferry, you could take Greyhound north or south.
    I think you may be talking about the good old days when you could get off the trail at Rt 50 for an easy hitch west into Winchester or get off at Rt 7 for a hitch east into Leesburg. You can still do that, but unless they have started up service, those places no longer have service. As far a Fairfax goes, you might as well go to DC.

OK that sounds doable... are there any trail towns in MD or PA that have bus service or are a easy hitch to a town that does offer bus service? Any clue on the nearest bus depot to Duncannon? I have a friend there that would possibly shuttle.
    Your friend in Duncannon could shuttle you to nearby Harrisburg. From Harrisburg Greyhound will take you to Baltimore and then you can transfer from there.

FYI

I took Greyhound from Bland VA to Dallas Tx last year and at one point the bus stopped and police came on to check id's and they had drug sniffing dogs check the bags in the luggage compartment. Wouldn't you know the dogs went nuts on my bag and the cops asked to go through it to see if I was a druggie....then I had to explain why I was traveling so light (ultralight hiking didn't register with them)....
    I attribute the dogs to being interested in my bag because I had been using iodine tablets for drinking water and I have been told they use those tablets in some drug conncoctions that are illegal

O.M. River
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

Nearest bus depot (Greyhound or Trailways) to Duncannon is in Harrisburg, PA - about 15 miles away.

As of June, 2009 there were shuttles available with local folks, some by donation (don't remember the name offhand) - check the board at Doyle's or the Shuttle List on the ATC web site for more info. There are also trains running regularly into Philadelphia from Harrisburg - the train station is a local historical landmark. BTW - buses & trains leave from the same location in Harrisburg.

There's local bus service in the area too - not from Duncannon, but I think if memory serves correctly, the route is on a road crossing a little bit further north on the trail. Check out http://www.cattransit.com/ - there's other local bus routes that cross the trail north of Boiling Springs that also go into Harrisburg.

Harper's Ferry is readily accessible by train - but have heard Amtrak sometimes runs a bit late.

Virginia Tortoise

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    I think you may be talking about the good old days when you could get off the trail at Rt 50 for an easy hitch west into Winchester or get off at Rt 7 for a hitch east into Leesburg. You can still do that, but unless they have started up service, those places no longer have service. As far a Fairfax goes, you might as well go to DC.
    You are correct. I just checked greyhound.com and to get from DC to Wytheville, VA, they now go through Fredericksburg, Charlottesville, Roanoke and then Wytheville. That makes the AT alot less accesible than it used to be in VA by bus

MARC or Amtrak are easy way to get out of Harpers Ferry. You can take Amtrak north to Pittsburgh if you do not like DC.

++ New Posts ++