WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I use the Princeton Tec Remix with lithiums with no issues. It is pretty bright, and lightweight.

Has anybody used the petal nao?

Images

I have no faith in any brand of headlamps!
    They all seem like cheap pieces of plastic garbage. (even though the prices on some of them aren't cheap!)
    Princeton, Petzl, Black Diamond,......they all suck. Fragile plastic housings and unreliable circuitry.

I always take two headlamps on every trip. Rarely do I return home with both of them still working.
    Temptation has me looking to try this bad boy.

http://www.surefire.com/illumination...s/maximus.html

It may not last either, but at least Surefire has a track record of dependability. I have a few flashlights that are 20 years old and still work as good as new.

Journal Entries

The sun is infallible, weights nothing, cost is free. Hike from daylight till dusk. Carry a Princeton Tech IMPULSE, 14 grams, as backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    The sun is infallible, weights nothing, cost is free. Hike from daylight till dusk. Carry a Princeton Tech IMPULSE, 14 grams, as backup.
    ...and what ever you do, don't get hurt or have a medical emergency that requires bailout during nighttime hours...suck it up sunshine and wait till morning.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...and what ever you do, don't get hurt or have a medical emergency that requires bailout during nighttime hours...suck it up sunshine and wait till morning.
    I never had a medical emergency that requires a night time bailout but neither have I been hit by a meteor or mauled by a bear and I don't prepare for that either. Once a tree next to a bridge I crossed jus a couple of minutes earlier was split in two by lightning, so I guess anything is possible. However, I have hiked at night with the Princeton Tech Impulse. Perhaps my eyesight is better than yours but I'll guess that I just don't feel I need anything larger or heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    I never had a medical emergency that requires a night time bailout but neither have I been hit by a meteor or mauled by a bear and I don't prepare for that either. Once a tree next to a bridge I crossed jus a couple of minutes earlier was split in two by lightning, so I guess anything is possible. However, I have hiked at night with the Princeton Tech Impulse. Perhaps my eyesight is better than yours but I'll guess that I just don't feel I need anything larger or heavier.
    I'm not familiar with the impulse, if it works for you, great. I'd never go hiking camping without a light, to me it's one of the ten essentials. Not everyone feels this way, and that seems to be a trend to save what I think is a negligible amount of weight. I know my comment was directed at you, but it really wasn't directed at you. Just a bit of sarcasm thrown at the whole gram weenie I can do it lighter at perhaps the expense of a real bad situation. just seems a no brainier to me.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Night hiking is one of my favorite pastimes, but to each their own.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++