WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: oversized bags?

Default oversized bags?

I'm planning a three day at the end of March, and a friend of mine has expressed some interest in joining me. It will be his first trip. I have a couple of packs, a spare tent, cooking, gear, basicly everything he will need except for boots and a bag. Thing is, he's a bit over 6 feet tall and close to 300 pounds. What would be a good choice for a bag? We'll be right here in North Georgia, I'm thinking Neel's gap to Unicoi or thereabouts. That way we can bail if he doesn't feel up to it.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Does he get out and hike at all ? Exersize any ? Look on craigs list, does Porter rent any ?
    Do not even wish to share what bag came to mind first, sorry, forgive me, medic background kicking in.

Images

Marmot Sawtooth X-Wide
    MontBell SSDown hugger
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

He could use a standard bag like a backpacking quilt if it's not too cold or if he doesn't toss and turn much.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

EMS has wide body bags in synthetic at a very responable price.

geek

Images

Do you have a Gander mountain near you? They sell The Backside brand sleeping bags, They are cut very big. I have a -15 from them and it is about 7 ft long and very wide... nice and roomy.

Images

my father is just over 300 and he got a big agness synthetic rated 10 or 15 but i was surprized how small and light it packed. dont know the name but it was for big men and i think he got it at REI.

Images

Big Agness Encampment, 15 degree, comes in long also.

SMSP

Images

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    I'm planning a three day at the end of March, and a friend of mine has expressed some interest in joining me. It will be his first trip. I have a couple of packs, a spare tent, cooking, gear, basicly everything he will need except for boots and a bag. Thing is, he's a bit over 6 feet tall and close to 300 pounds. What would be a good choice for a bag? We'll be right here in North Georgia, I'm thinking Neel's gap to Unicoi or thereabouts. That way we can bail if he doesn't feel up to it.
    Are you writin' another AT book, Bryson?

Images

Montbell #2
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Tortuga View Post
    Does he get out and hike at all ? Exersize any ? Look on craigs list, does Porter rent any ?
    Do not even wish to share what bag came to mind first, sorry, forgive me, medic background kicking in.
    He does get out and walk in the mountains here a few times a week (he lives near Unicoi Gap), a couple of hours at a stretch, but has never done an overnight. I'll look in to the suggestions here and see what would be most "fitting". He has expressed interest in doing some long hiking, I want to be sure he has a good first trip. I won't be able to do much more than a couple of days at a time with him, at least for the immediate future. I think the best bet would be "gently used" for now in case he decides to try something else or just doesn't catch the bug. I like the Big Agnes option, as I have one and love it. Plus the built in pad is convienient.

++ New Posts ++