WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default hiker on a budget (needing new boots)

Hey guys i'm on a bit of a budget cuz i not working right now but i need some good, new hiking boots (in a $100-200 range). So i was wondering if i could get some sugestions of diffents model, styles and makes. (productlinks are good too) Thanks alot apperiate the help!! Happy Hiking!

Images

Hi tec. The vibram soles are harder than the regular soles so you'd have to determine whether you like that or not. Not all hi tec's are vibram but some of the newer models are.

Images

look at the inov-8 line of products. really comfortable and also really lightweight.

Journal Entries

Default new boots

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but don't buy on name brand, buy on comfort and proper fit. Fitting boots properly is a lot more involved than I thought it would be, and you need to go somewhere (usually an outfitter) that has experienced sales staff. The curve of your Achilles tendon, shape of foot, high or low arch, width of foot at base of toes, etc. are all critical to getting a boot that fits properly and will therefore be more comfortable on the trail. Also, the kind of hiking you plan to do and where is important. Trail runners, i.e., fancy sneakers, may suit you just fine. Or you may have weak ankles and plan on a lot of rocky trails, so heavier, stouter boots might be better. Really good boots that fit don't have to be expensive. What fit me best was half the price of the "name brand", heavily advertised boots. Once you get a good fit, then shop for price, appearance, service, etc. Good luck.

thanks Mango thats smart logical advise btw i plan to be doing a lot of long distance hiking so durablity is important

Quote Originally Posted by achangeincourse View Post
    thanks Mango thats smart logical advise btw i plan to be doing a lot of long distance hiking so durablity is important
    In that case find a shoe that you like and plan on replacing it. The Vasque Velocity fits my foot great so whenever I see them on a rediculous sale I pick up an extra pair or two, but the first pair I paid full price. Right now I have a pair that I just started using and a brand new pair sitting in the closet for when I wear them out. At one time I had three brand new pairs in the closet.

You have to realize that shoes are just like tires on your car. It is a disposable item, but with a decent lifespan. I will put dozens of sets of tires on my car before I get rid of it just like I will put dozens of pairs of shoes while carrying a certain backpack or tent.

Look for outlet shops - LL Bean or New Balance. You may be able to find something that works for you there. Look at Sierra Trading Post or Campmore for last year's models.

A lot depends on your feet. I know people who can walk into Goodwill, buy some sneakers and hike on them for hundreds of miles. Others have hard to fit feet and have to buy $200 boots. I've bought inexpensive running shoes that started to fall apart after two weeks.

The frustrating part is that few of the hiking shoes/boots last very long. Running shoes will last 400-500 miles before they break down such that it can damage your feet. Boots will last a little longer, 700-1000 miles if you're lucky. Only the really heavy mountaineering boots will last a full thruhike. You pay for those in blisters.

Check out Dicks Sporting Goods. They always have shoes on sale, and they carry a decent selection of hiking shoes and boots. I've bought two pairs of Merrell Moabs there and I was really happy with both pairs.

They have a clearance deal on some Columbia light hikers.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...70470.970471#1

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    You have to realize that shoes are just like tires on your car. It is a disposable item, but with a decent lifespan. I will put dozens of sets of tires on my car before I get rid of it just like I will put dozens of pairs of shoes while carrying a certain backpack or tent.

thats a great point thanks, with that in mind i think i will just try to find a fairly inexpensive pair of boots that really fit and just replace when needed like you said.

++ New Posts ++