WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How to carry camera equipment with you?

Hi there,

I'm planning hiking the entire trail starting in March or April 2010 from Georgia.

I was curious if any other photographers had advice on how to carry equipment with them? I would not feel comfortable shipping it to myself along the way, I'd much rather have it on me, but the weather is an obvious concern.

I'm an amateur, this is just a hobby, so I don't have a lot of stuff, just two lenses at the moment and I may collect a couple more before I go.

Anyways, has anyone hiked the entire way with their equipment? What did you use to carry it in?

Thanks!

a small weather resistant digital is the standard. stays in any pocket or bag.
    matthewski

a small weather resistant digital is the standard. stays in any pocket or bag. even interchangeing lenses could be kept in paper towels and a ziplock . i dont see the need for any special cases. their are safe dry places in packs.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
    I'm an amateur, this is just a hobby, so I don't have a lot of stuff, just two lenses at the moment and I may collect a couple more before I go.
    I'm an amateur photog that sometimes takes 15 pounds on equipment on trips. For a thru I would take ONE simple lightweight camera. There are tons of em out there. I wouldn't take multiple lenses. I would have a simple freezer bag for wet conditions.

Others have made the point that a great number of your pics are going to be of the folks you meet. For most a thru is not a photography trip.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I keep my camera in a ziplock baggie. While i'm hiking i have a small pouch on my hipbelt with the camera, knife, chapstick, asprin, moleskin, that way I'm not always rooting thru my pack. BTW, set your camera default to no flash, you will use ALOT fewer batteries.

Whatever kind of camera equipment you bring, you should make sure it's easy to whip it out and take a picture. You'll get a lot more pictures than if you have to force yourself to stop and pull things out of bags and stuff.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

This is I saw on the PCT this year. Some of the guys carrying a digital SLR, had a camera bag that had loops on the back that the hipbelt could be threaded through so the camera was always right where they could grab it. The camera bag had to come off everytime the hipbelt was undone though. Some carried a bag that had its own small hipbelt and they carried it over the top of their packs hipbelt. The advantage of these bags is they also carried their wallets and cell phones in them so that when they wanted to leave their backpack alone for awhile, they had all their valuables in a convienant bag that they could easily keep with them.

Some of the lens cases you can buy from LowePro and Op/Tech can easily be modified to mount to your sternum strap or even your shoulder strap since they are designed to be worn on belts and the like. I know since I've used them in this fashion to carry camcorders on backpacking trips as they are lighter weight then any camera cases. The one I'm currently using in an Op/Tech lens case that weighs less then 4oz but also has a pocket below for filters. So in your case, you could use them to actualy carry your camera lenses as they are designed to.

Basically though, any kind of pack or bag that you can mount to the front of your pack would work.

There are all kinds of specially designed bags and cases for cameras. Even the big, heavy Pelican boxes. The choices are endless.

If you really want to go hard-core, get a submersible camera housing from a place like Ikelite or Sea and Sea. Just beware their housings sometimes cost more than the camera!

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    a small weather resistant digital is the standard. stays in any pocket or bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    a small weather resistant digital is the standard. stays in any pocket or bag. even interchangeing lenses could be kept in paper towels and a ziplock . i dont see the need for any special cases. their are safe dry places in packs.
    you have to stop talking like that. i can't understand you'

I have a digital SLR that I take on week long hikes--I haven't thru'd yet, but this has not been at all uncomfortable for me to do. I have a Lowa waterproof bag that fits the camera, an 18-55 lens, a couple of batteries and a couple of SD cards. The bag attaches to my hipbelt and I generally don't even realize its there. Its handy that way, I can pull it right out.

I have also carried a point and shoot, and there are some very nice ones you could take with you if you wanted to.

Default camera at ready

Ok your question as I understand it is how to carry your camera. You did not say what kind of camera so my reply will be based on what I carry (DSLR or a G9).

I do not carry spare lens, way to much weight. I do carry a tripod the new Jodi with ball head and a shutter release. If you are an enthusiastic amateur then you will probably want to shoot RAW. But that is not what you asked just a side though.

There have been a few good point made already i.e. baggie idea (which I use in bad weather and having the camera ready. Having the camera ready I find is important and I have tried several things. The latest and the best has been the:

http://www.backcountrysolutions.com/

a little cumbersome at first setting up but once you get used to it works fine.

Have FUN and
    Happy Trails

I thru-hiked this year (2009) and carried my camera equipment in ziplock baggies. I carried a Canon 30D, 2 lenses, extra battery and flash cards in baggies and then put those inside a small stuff sack, but it only took a few weeks for me to decide it was too much trouble and weight (for me). I then switched to a Canon PowerShot A590 IS 8MP. It's a small point and shoot with some manual functions and a decent processor for a small package. It went with me the rest of the trip and I never had a problem. It was kept in a baggie and placed in the hipbelt pocket of my pack so I could quickly get at it. I can't stress the ziplock baggie enough because it's simple, cheap, and worked well, and it was a wet wet wet trip the entire way (February through July). Hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to let me know if you have other questions. I'm more than happy to talk "thru-hiking" with you.
    Good luck on your hike!

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic View Post
    I thru-hiked this year (2009) and carried my camera equipment in ziplock baggies. I carried a Canon 30D, 2 lenses, extra battery and flash cards in baggies and then put those inside a small stuff sack, but it only took a few weeks for me to decide it was too much trouble and weight (for me).
    I have a Canon 5D Mark II which is lighter than my Canon Mark IIN but I still would only take the 5D for shorter trips. I bring it for trips that I consider photog trips, where I can stop and set up shots. The 5D with a 24-105 f4L is a great combo but I would find it just too dang heavy for longer trips.

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic View Post
    I then switched to a Canon PowerShot A590 IS 8MP. It's a small point and shoot with some manual functions and a decent processor for a small package.
    Like you, I use a simple PowerShot for trips where weight is a concern. It does the job and with some knowledge of the manual settings is surprisingly good.

I have a canon digital rebel xti and two lenses that I am hoping to bring with me. In the past when I've traveled ('07 did the WWOOFing program in Australia) I tried to bring smaller cameras but always became frustrated with not being able to take the photo I wanted. I have a canon powershot with an underwater case that takes some great underwater photos.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
    I have a canon digital rebel xti and two lenses that I am hoping to bring with me. In the past when I've traveled ('07 did the WWOOFing program in Australia) I tried to bring smaller cameras but always became frustrated with not being able to take the photo I wanted.
    No disrespect to the AT but while the views are great they do not come across on pictures like the West. Even with good equipment the haze over the mountains just looks muddy in most pictures on most days.

IMO, take the smaller, fixed lens camera with you for your thru and return in the future with your good stuff to areas you found the best.

That said, if I am fortunate to make it to K in the future I prob would bring my good stuff up with me on that day......

++ New Posts ++