WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Early April Grayson Highlands State Park

I searched and could not locate any information.....

What is the weather conditions, roughly of course, for this time of year. Is there still a bunch of snow on the ground....

Other recommendations for a 3-4 day outing in the beginning of April?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Images

Variable weather. Could be single digits at night and blizzard conditions (been there), or it could be 70 and sunny (been there, too.) In the last decade or it seems the snow levels have gone down a lot, but it's been a wet fall so far, so that may change.

A good four day hike in that area would start at VA 603 (Fox Creek Trailhead) and hike sobo to Damascus.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Variable weather. Could be single digits at night and blizzard conditions (been there), or it could be 70 and sunny (been there, too.) In the last decade or it seems the snow levels have gone down a lot, but it's been a wet fall so far, so that may change.

A good four day hike in that area would start at VA 603 (Fox Creek Trailhead) and hike sobo to Damascus.
    Big Cranky, going to Trail Days for the first time this year. Plan to go nobo for 5 days. A couple of questions: Weather in the high country (for gear planning purposes,) and a reputable shuttle (good location to go off trail.)
    Note: I've 53 yr old knees, so I won't be blazing along with the young '10 GAMER's. Usually a 10-15 miles per day keeps me content.

Thank you

Images

Hi, Craig,

Mid May is a great time -- warm during the day, but cool at night. Maybe 65 over 45. I'd bring my 30-F bag and a down vest or maybe a fleece sweater for around camp. Hike in shorts and a t-shirt. Bring rain gear.

Five days northbound at 13 mpd gets you 65 miles to the Mt Rogers Headquarters building. Easy shuttle, ask Mt Rogers Outfitters or PM Lone Wolf here at Whiteblaze.

If it were me, I would hike that section southbound, get a ride to the HQ building and walk back to Damascus. It's not a really hard section, but there are some good climbs, and southbound is a little easier and you get to end in the Big D.

Hope that helps.

--Ken
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the good advice. Sounds like I should be able to go pretty light! I have mostly done winter hiking, so this will be a nice change of pace.
    I'm going to try tarping this year and will consider this trip. Does this area lend itself towards that type of shelter?

Thanks again for your expertise. Can't wait to get out.

Craig

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hillsanddales3 View Post
    Hi Ken,

Thanks for the good advice. Sounds like I should be able to go pretty light! I have mostly done winter hiking, so this will be a nice change of pace.
    I'm going to try tarping this year and will consider this trip. Does this area lend itself towards that type of shelter?

Thanks again for your expertise. Can't wait to get out.

Craig
    Yes, you can easily tarp the whole stretch. Or hammock, or tent, etc.

Enjoy!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks Ken and Benjamin, I enjoyed the pics at the Grayson site. I'm looking forward to my May hike and hope to see you on the trail sometime.

Craig

Journal Entries

I was just there this weekend - temps were great - still lots of snow at higher elevations.
    http://gallery.me.com/briankeithsmith#100031

++ New Posts ++