WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: free maps

Images

They no doubt believe they serve their club's interests and the public better by selling a guide with a broader focus. Does not Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Georgia and North Carolina include a map which covers all of GSMNP? Certain individuals posting to this thread probably think that's wasteful of paper too until the day it becomes useful to them.

Why must map standards be uniform trailwide? Next y'all will make a fuss about the overlapping guides in Pennsylvania south of Susquehanna River. There's a good reason for that too.

emerald

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    They no doubt believe they serve their club's interests and the public better by selling a guide with a broader focus. Does not Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Georgia and North Carolina include a map which covers all of GSMNP? Certain invividuals posting to this thread probably think that's wasteful of paper too until the day it becomes useful to them.

Why must map standards be uniform trailwide? Next y'all will make a fuss about the overlapping guides in Pennsylvania south of Susquehanna River. There's a good reason for that too.

emerald
    Emerald, I feel like either we've gotten off on the wrong foot or you have a serious reading comprehension issue to go along with those citation problems.

I've repeatedly stated that, "Maps printed with information upwards of 10 miles away from the AT...printed one sided...well, that just falls into the category of "needlessly wasteful through-hike related things."

And, "It's not the weight of the map but instead how wasteful it is for a through hiker."

Or, "I realize that some hikers want the depth of information found on the current map set. But others, discouraged by the current size (weight) and cost will look elsewhere or chose to not carry them at all. "

Finally, "All of those things can be accomplished on streamlined maps infinitely better suited for through hikers. "

I mean, can I be any more clear? I haven't at any point challenged that there isn't a logical reason behind the current club-published map sets. The PATC must genuinely believe that by basically reprinting the SNP maps with the AT highlighted they're serving the greater good. That's fine and it's in their best interests to do so.

What I do take offense to is your repeated assertion that the ATC maps are great for through hikers. If PA wants to publish 12 maps and two guidebooks, and that works for them then great...but, don't try to tell me that's the end all, be all for someone who'll pass through the state in a week's time.

In a Long Distance Hiker's hands the ATC map set is wasteful of more than just paper. And don't try to wag that big foreboding finger at me thinking I'm going to be scared by the presupposed reality that somebody on the internet told me I'd live to regret my words.

You clearly want the last word in this one so here you go. It's yours.

Now's where you tell me that it's worked for thousands of other people before and there's no reason to fix it.

Or, (my personal favorite) that if I'm so invested in it I should fix it.

Maybe, through hikers are just too small a group to individually cater to...because, you know, I haven't already provided one example of a similar trail with maps better suited to through hikers.

Take your pick. I mean, we've already drifted far enough away from Rajun Cajun's original question.

Images

You know, you might be all right or as near as possible for a through hiker after all. Maybe you do get it. The world and the A.T. doesn't revolve around through hikers and through hiking.

Maybe some day someone will come up with a better solution that doesn't weigh more than maps, doesn't require batteries, a place to recharge them and generates income to compensate the individual(s) who provide(s) the service. When someone does, I'm sure we will hear all about it here, provided we are still in business.

As far as the opening post will take us in the direction of something better, I'm all ears. Free maps on the Internet are one thing, but what is someone to carry in the field and how much does it cost relative to the gold standard? NPS and ATC both have free maps on the Internet and I've linked them many times. Who has something better, that's customizable, to carry in the field that can be printed on equipment everyone has in his or her home office?

Yeah... back to the subject.. I just read that thread and IO felt like I walked into a kindergarten class.. anyways, for those who have purchase maps but haven't sprung for the super duper ATC sanctioned ones, which ones did you buy and how did you like them? If I could get just the maps for each section I would be happy, I just don't want all the extras in the box pictured..

"Maybe, through hikers are just too small a group to individually cater to...because, you know, I haven't already provided one example of a similar trail with maps better suited to through hikers."
    Based on what's available for a smaller annual number of thru-hikers on the PCT, I don't think this is the case, perhaps more just randomly what individuals decide (or not decide) to work on.

The AT is the most populated of the long trails in the U.S. but the PCT has a couple of better map options for thru-hikers than I've seen for the AT. That could be, however, because maps are more needed on the PCT.
    FWIW, the couple of options I'm thinking of are the maps included in the three Wilderness Press PCT guidebooks, and the PCT Atlas.

What I suspect is that since the existing set of guidebooks (AT Guide, AT Companion) are smaller, lighter, and likely cheaper without the inclusion of any form of trail map that they'll remain that way. But who knows! Erik the Black only recently did the PCT Atlas; if there's a perceived market, it seems like someone might eventually deliver some form of maps designed for AT thru-hikers.

Alternatively, perhaps someone might opt to do something like what Halfmile did for the PCT to offer free USGS map images with the trail trace shown, something that folks could print for themselves. Of course USGS maps for the AT are free online anyway; I imagine that some freeware of shareware option wouldn't be hard to find to make it easy to print out desired map sheets, albeit without the trail trace.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Carrying a bunch of single sided maps is one of my few pet peeves.

It may not have the information you want, and it's not free, but Mapdanas (example http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23996 ) might provide the information you need without so much cost. ???

Beth

Printable AT Maps

Click on the Share Button to print.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

The GMC Long Trail maps are excellent (especially the second edition) - not quite enough detail for Mt. Mansfield but fine for everything else. They actually do go out far enough to show parallel roads and trailhead access points. They use a small type size but the cartographer's artistry makes them very clear.

At least to my eyes. I took them to another trail club at the start of a map revamping process and the (well into their 70's) eminences grises of the club proclaimed the type size too small and unreadable on the Long Trail maps, compared to their old maps - which somewhat resembled the old KTA A.T. maps (but were drawn much better). We wound up having to compromise at 1:50,000 scale, but did at least get them double sided printed for 75 miles per map.

PATC is revamping their maps currently; if folks want them to revise as double sided, I suggest contacting them directly to make that point. I don't know that any of their relevant folks pay attention to WB.

I'll also make the point (since I've skipped saying this for about ten map threads now) that map and guide sales supply a proportionally very large income to the hiking organizations that maintain the footpaths you hike. With the revolution in mapping technology this revenue base is seriously threatened. What is the next model to pay for our footpaths? I wish I knew the answer.

I accept with information:
    1. major blueblazes up or around mountains.

2. where can I expect to camp (stealth or otherwise).

3. where's water. if water's not marked where can I expect to find a wet weather drainage.

4. where does this road go? where does this trail go?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++