WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Stockbridge Mtn Shelter - NY

Friends,

Stayed at the Stockbridge Mountain Shelter in Harriman St. Park last night. Its located two miles from the AT on the Long Path, turning onto the yellow trail at the Wm Brien shelter.

Awesome shelter, worth the detour. Its perched on top of a 1200 foot mountain with 360 views. Its next to a large flat rock that's like a sun porch. I laid in the November sun and soaked it up. It has stone walls, a wooden floor and a new tin roof. Two built in working fireplaces make it very cosy. The sun, fire and stars made it one of the best nights I've had.

Water is unreliable, so pack it in. Firewood can be hard to find.

Peace,

Bill

Images

Yep, that's a nice shelter.
    Not only is water unreliable, I'd say it's nonexistant in the area of the shelter. On the other hand, there's plenty of tent space up behind the shelter. So much in fact that Boy Scout troops often camp up there.
    Now the interesting thing. If you continue northbound on the Longpath and start down the other side of the hill, on your right is the Cave Shelter. It's shown on the Map of Harriman State Park.

There is a stream 100 feet south of the shelter. It was running when I was there, however, I think it dries up at various times of the year. I wouldn't count on it.

++ New Posts ++