Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It seems to me, and understand I don't have any experience with cuben backpacks or ZPacks, but from what I've seen Zpacks are made for UL wts. and minimal volume gear. Also seems most of the carrying wt is on the shoulders and not a whole lot of wt gets transferred to the hips. I know it is VERY Appealing to have a 6 oz or less pack, but DO UNDERSTAND that calls for a very specialized kit on a thru-hike with virtually NO FRILLS or many features in the backpack! They are not for everyone and are, IMO, probably not the best overall pack for thru-hiking when someone is newly downsizing to UL or has little experience with minimalist type gear. For short duration, like long weekends or someone who is experienced with UL wt and small volume(compressible) gear absolutely doable pack. Just my 2 cents.

I'll be carrying a McHale S-Sarc. I can't compare it to other packs for you because it's the only backpacking type pack that I've ever owned. It's a great pack though.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wandering_bob View Post
    Six Moon Designs Traveler
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=59

Panel loader
    3800 cubic inches ( 62 liters )
    26 oz frameless or 31 oz with 2 removable aluminum stays in place

Sierra weight with 7 days' food in bear canister and 1 liter of water was 32 pounds.
    Did the zippers survive a thru hike? I've never been able to get zippers to last that long, especially in the desert.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guthook View Post
    Who knows though. There's plenty of time to change my mind several times before April.
    That's exactly how i feel
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

I stated my thru this year with a 6MD Traveler. I couldn't stand it. The panel loader feature was nice but I just wasn't carrying enough stuff in it most of the time. There was always extra space and there wasn't a way to compress it enough for it to be comfortable.Most of the stitching on the seams started coming undone too. Even on places that didn't have any pressure, or reason to be coming undone.

That said i love my 6md lunar solo.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Six Moon Designs Traveler
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=59

Panel loader
    3800 cubic inches ( 62 liters )
    26 oz frameless or 31 oz with 2 removable aluminum stays in place

Sierra weight with 7 days' food in bear canister and 1 liter of water was 32 pounds.
    That looks to be dyneema weave within ripstop.
    Should be a tough pack.
    You don't eat much, I guess

Doooglas:

My Sierra pack..........

Base weight = 14.5 pounds
    Bear canister = 2.2 pounds (Bearikade Expredition)
    Food and fuel = 12.7 pounds
    1 liter water = 2.2 pounds
    Total weight = 31.6 pounds..........call it 32

Food weight = 27 oz per day
    Fuel weight (2 Esbit tablets) = 1.0 oz per day
    Hydration packets = 0.95 oz per day
    total consumables = 20.95 oz = 1.8 pounds per day

Images

low alpine appalachian 75+15 liters 4.6k cubic inches

I used the ULA Circuit with a base weight of 13-14lbs for most of the trail (not counting the bearcan in the sierras). I think I only had this back "full" once or twice on the trail and most of the time I needed to let my sleeping bag loft to keep it full enough to carry well.

Images

I used a Nimbus Meridian the whole way (same as Nimbus Ozone but with a removable top pocket). I liked it because it could carry up to 35 or 40 lbs comfortably. Since I was the first through section D (southbound from Walker Pass to Cajon Pass), I could not rely on the water reports being current or the caches being stocked. I carried up to 7 liters (nearly 15 pounds) plus 5 days food (another 10 pounds or so) and fuel and you can see how the weight got up to 40lbs. North of Kennedy Meadows, the water sources are great through the Sierra and carrying more than a liter is crazy unless headed from a water source to a dry camp nearby. The added weight of a couple extra days' food and the bear can still netted to less weight when I took our all the extra water.

I did use all 7 liters on the trek from Tylerhorse Canyon across the aqueduct to RT158 and did the last couple of miles dry. The spigot at the bridge near Cottonwood Ck was not working since the aqueduct had been drained for maintenance. This is a hot, hot section and although there was a nice breeze, I found I really went through the water. By the time the nobo herd reached this point in mid-May the aqueduct was again carrying water and the spigot worked so most hikers would have been fine with 5 liters.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Gregory Whitney. I love it. It is light, internal frame and very durable.
    In nice weather, my pack weighs a light 50 -55lbs with 3 liters of water and 8 days of food.
    In bad weather, it is about 5 pounds heavier.

Images

Have made a change from heavy weight to UL over the years

Day pack - Salomon Raid Revo 20 (good for runs, rides, family excursions)

Overnighter / Weekender - Gossamer Gear Murmur (newest)

Summer Weekender - Osprey Stratus 32 (love the mesh back)

Winter - Gossamer Gear G4 (great pack for hammocking & lots of down)

Long hike - ULA Catalyst (great pack for heavy loads)

In the attic - Gregory Baltoro 70 (way too heavy for big mile days)

Gave away - GG Mariposa, Gregory Z Pack (neither fit me well)

I totally represent consumerism gone awry
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

total consumables = 20.95 oz = 1.8 pounds per day
    20.95 oz. is about 1.3 pounds.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I'm now a two-time PCT thru-hiker. First time I started with a Gregory Makalu Pro, broke the hip-belt by Big Bear and bought a Granite Gear Latitude Vapor there and lightened up a bit. Really enjoyed that pack. Finished with it.

in 2009 I started with a ULA Conduit and went all the way. I loved it. It was perfect for me. I don't care at all about carrying weight on my shoulders, so I never used the hip-belt (I find free hips improve my hiking speed/comfort more so than a couple pounds off my shoulders). My base weight is 8 pounds and I never carry more than 4 liters of water or so (in the desert, for the rest of the trail I usually carry between none and 2). And I resupply somewhat often and hike a good pace (25ish before the sierras, 20 in the sierras, 30+ after the sierras).

I think the granite gear zone is probably ideal for most hikers. Functional hip-belts but still a good empty pack weight. Very flexible for various gear lists and the hip-belts are usually removable if you end up lightening up significantly while on trail.

Seems like ULA is the big hit on the PCT.

Seems like ULA is the big hit on the PCT.
    Indeed, and on the ground, not just on forums. I, however, liked my GG Mariposa Plus just fine, and am using it on the AT starting this Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Mystery Ranch Trance (2007). But I avoid re-supplies.
    I find it interesting to see a realist here.............

Brian from ULA makes great packs, but I used and will use again this year a Gossamer Gear G-5 it's 8 oz. THe smallist I have seen on the PCT is a homemade one by Warner Springs Monty. It's 4 or 5 oz. He thru-hiked in 2007 with a base weight of under 5 lb.

My packs base weight on the AT in the summer is around 7 lb, on the PCT around 10 lb . It's important to go very light weight on the PCT mostly because you are often walking on a section of trail where if you stumble and fall off the trail well you die. A heavier pack increases your odds of falling if you do stumble.
    I agree with ARambler , unless you really go slow starting the PCT after the KO party might be to early.

I started right after the KO in 2008 and it seemed like just the right time to start to me, though certainly this depends on the year. A late April start got me into the Sierras in early June, and it worked out great (again, in that year at least).

I don't recall all that many places where if you stumble off the trail that you die --- certainly there are some of those on any trail, but mostly ... it's just trail.

I guess just different perspectives, different perception of the same data by different people!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++