Quote Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
EXCERPTS FROM RECENT LETTER ~~ MUSEUM'S PRESIDENT

Larry Luxenberg recently wrote :

" I wanted to let everyone know about some plans for the fall and to congratulate everyone on a successful opening season. We passed the 6,000 visitor mark on Labor Day Weekend and by the time we close for the winter could exceed 7,000 visitors. More importantly, many visitors have offered praise for the Museum and found it moving.

Dozens of people have pitched in but I would be remiss in not singling out a few people. Most of those visitors came to the Museum because of Joe's [ Joseph Patterson, Communications Director ] success in spreading the word. The Museum has been open every hour it was supposed to be plus some additional time and it has run smoothly through Margy's [ Margy Schmidt, Volunteer Coordinator ] efforts. She has recruited and organized a dedicated group of volunteers. From my own experience I can tell you that it's very rewarding to be a docent but not as easy as I would have guessed. I'd also like to thank Jason for his exceptional cooperation and help. In addition, Terry [ Terry Harley-Wilson, A. T. Museum, Vice-president ] has again done a tremendous job in preparing a grant application for a traveling exhibit and as a result we were awarded a major grant from the Quimby Foundation [ makers of the Burt's Bees products like lip balm ]. "
( to continue....)

" On a sad note, one of the earliest and biggest supporters, Walk'in Jim, died a little over a week ago. We had posted a notice during his illness with information about contributing to his medical fund. His music and spirit are still very much a part of the Museum.

We will be meeting at the Gathering [ info see www.aldha.org ] in a month and I'd like to use that session for some brainstorming. As usual we will be sponsoring a symposium at the Gathering and holding a silent auction. We will also have a meeting on Oct. 23 at Pine Grove for people who have been involved with the Museum to discuss plans for next year. Later that day we will have an end of season party for volunteers.

Gwen is working on more hands on activities for the children's area. This year we didn't have enough to engage kids. We will be hosting a visiting by the teachers from a Trail in Every Classroom and hope to work with them on the children's area.

We need to do more to involve current hikers in the Museum.

In addition, we need to freshen up the existing space. We've talked about getting a big screen to display the hiker Polaroid photos and perhaps the videos and slideshows we have on the other computer. Jeff Schmidt is working on programming for the Polaroid website now. Trail Angel Mary [ Mary Parry ] has put together some great videos of the museum opening and the Earl Shaffer project and has produced a long loop incorporating other shows. That loop is running continuously now.

We're also hoping to have a more regular series of programs next year, perhaps Sunday afternoons from Memorial Day to Labor Day with a significant number aimed at children. Several people have volunteered to help with the programming but we need a point person . We attracted more than 100 people for the Barefoot Sister's talk - that was a record crowd for them. Christy, our summer intern, did a program on trail design and construction and we had other programs by Dave Donaldson and Randy Motz and Georgia Harris.

This fall Bill Speed will be installing a furnace and Larry Knutson will take charge of winterizing the building.

Linda Patton and several other collectors are working on plans for a research library. We got a significant donation of books this summer and will have a nearly complete collection of A. T. books and guidebooks eventually.

Again, thanks to everyone who has helped to make our initial season successful. "

Hope to see you at the Museum Symposium at the Gathering in October !

HAPPY TRAILS !

RED WOLF o'da SMOKY'S
Robert Croyle
A.T. Museum, Membership Secretary
[email protected]

ps: more info ~ www.atmuseum.org