WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

Thumbs up A. T. Museum seeks new Volunteer Museum Coordinator ~ NOTICE & JOB DESCRIPTION

NOTICE: Appalachian Trail Museum Volunteer Coordinator Needed A job description for the A. T. Museum Volunteer Coordinator has been sent out by Larry Luxenberg, Museum President. He has asked that it be circulated to anyone who may be interested and posted where appropriate ~ i.e., here on Whiteblaze.net, and other locations in the hiker community. We are seeking to fill this position this fall. Mr. Luxenberg, Terry Harley-Wilson (Museum Vice-president) and Gwen Loose (Programs Coordinator) have been working on the job description and will review the applications.

Please click on the attachment to see the A. T. Museum Volunteer Coordinator job description.

Sincerely,Robert "Red Wolf o'da Smoky's" Croyle, Membership Secretary[email protected]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Job title changed to "Museum Manager"

Quote Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
    NOTICE: Appalachian Trail Museum Volunteer Coordinator Needed A job description for the A. T. Museum Volunteer Coordinator has been sent out by Larry Luxenberg, Museum President. He has asked that it be circulated to anyone who may be interested and posted where appropriate ~ i.e., here on Whiteblaze.
    Larry Luxenberg just sent out today that the title of "Museum Coordinator" is to be changed to "Museum Manager".
    So, see the new thumbnail PDF with this change made.
    Robert"RW"

Default Correction: Museum Manager ~ a paid position

Quote Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
    Larry Luxenberg just sent out today that the title of "Museum Coordinator" is to be changed to "Museum Manager". So, see the new thumbnail PDF with this change made. Robert"RW"
    Dear Friends of the Appalachian Trail Museum, A correction needs to be made in regard to the job description. Larry Luxenberg, Museum President, asked me to change the wording from "Volunteer Museum Manager" (which may denote a non-paid position) to "Museum Manager" (which, in fact, is a paid position). Please excuse this oversight and confusion by us. The PDF with the job description has also been corrected and may be viewed in the attached thumbnail.

Exclamation Museum secures $50,000 matching grant funds ~ construction to begin !

MUSEUM SECURES ALL NEEDED FUNDING ~ NEW CONSTRUCTION PROCESS BEGINS ! ! !

Appalachian Trail Museum Friends,

The attached PDF is being sent out today to all the trail and hiking clubs ~FYI

Thank you to all who have supported our efforts in a wide variety of ways in reaching this milestone goal.
    We all can be proud that our efforts have helped us to reach this point of opening up the other parts of the Museum building, the Old Mill ~ a major milestone in our on-going work of preserving our Appalachian Trail history !

Sincerely,

Robert " RED WOLF o'da SMOKY'S " Croyle
    A. T. Museum, Membership Secretary
    [email protected]
    www.atmusem.org

Thumbs up Save the Date / 2011 A. T. Museum Volunteer's Recognition Dinner ! ~ November 5th, 20

A. T. Museum 2011 Volunteers Recognition Dinnner ~ NOV. 5th ~ F.Y.I.

I wanted to pass this email along to you:

"Hello all,
    We are planning our second annual AT Museum volunteer recognition dinner for Saturday, November 5th, 2011, 4:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the Ironmaster's Mansion at Pine Grove Furnace State Park. This will again be a covered dish event. It's a time to reminisce, share your "Museum Stories," and to socialize with others who have helped to make the museum's second season a success.

More details will be provided in the next few weeks, but please mark your calendars now, and we'll look forward to seeing you on November 5th.
    Margy Schmidt

Manager

Appalachian Trail Museum

[email protected]

717-486-4083"

Arrow National Public Lands Day at Pine Grove Furnace State Park ~ this Saturday !

F.Y.I. ,
    Received today the following from Margaret Schmidt, A. T. Museum Manager:

"

Pine Grove Furnace State Park
    Come join us in celebration of
    National Public Lands Day

Volunteer Project Day
    September 24, 2011
    9:00 – 12:00

Projects:
    trail work, invasive species removal,
    and painting

Lunch at 12:00 - provided by the Friends Group

Furnace Fest volunteer meeting immediately following lunch
    Furnace Stack Pavilion

Please register by calling the park office (717- 486-7174). "

HAPPY TRAILS,
    Robert Croyle, A. T. Museum Membership Secretary
    [email protected]

Thumbs up 2nd. thru-hiker, Gene Espy gets his day in Macon, Georgia !

"GENE ESPY DAY" PROCLAIMED ! ~ THIS FRIDAY, SEPT. 30, 2011 !

F.Y.I. ~ see attachment for more...............

HAPPY TRAILS !
    Robert "RW" Croyle, A. T. Museum Membership Secretary
    [email protected]

And the controversy continues...

The word “second thru-hiker” is not a typographical error in the proclamation, although it may not be entirely accurate. Espy actually may have been the first.

Jim McNeely, an attorney from West Virginia and an avid hiker, recently researched the journal of Earl Shaffer, who is credited as the first person to complete the trail in August 1948. McNeely has produced evidence that Shaffer bypassed about 170 miles of the trail by taking shortcuts on country roads and traveling for short distances as a hitchhiker.

The Macon Telegraph page 2 Espy, now 84, said even though he would love to be acknowledged as the first pioneer thru-hiker, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy still recognizes Shaffer. And that’s OK with him. “I got what I intended out of the Appalachian Trail,’’ he said. “I got to see God’s work in nature.’’
    I wonder why Gene felt the need to kill 15 rattlesnakes or creatures of God's work in nature? Did he eat them?

Default A recent Museum website additonal link ~ A. T. C. historical artical

Recently, a "History of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy at 75 years" link was added to our website www.atmuseum.org .
    Although a history of the A. T. C. up to 2000, it also contains much information about trail history, prominent trail figures, hikers,etc.
    in some 64 pages ! To view it, please click-on the following link (please allow up to 30 seconds to download link after clicking on): www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/atj/00-trailyears.pdf

HAPPY TRAILS !

email: [email protected]

Thumbs up Gene Espy Day ~ Today Sept. 30, 2011 !

Since today is "Gene Espy Day" in Macon, Georgia, proclaimed as such by the Mayor of Macon to give honor to Gene for his 1951 thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail ( the second thru-hike as recognized by the A. T. C. ), I thought it would be fitting to post this photo taken last June at the Appalachian Trail Museum's Hall of Fame banquet. This first inductee group into the Hall of Fame had only one of the six inductees actually there to receive his ceremonial A. T. Hall of Fame walking stick, Gene Espy ! The other five each had a representative to receive it. Many thanks go to John "Bodaciuos" Beaudet for the excellent, sourwood, cut-out-of the-woods, walking sticks he handcrafted last winter ( I had the pleasure of helping him hunt out a few of them along a dirt and gravel road up on a Tennessee mountain last autumn). It was an auspicious moment the day after the banquet when Gene and I arrived at the Appalachian Trail Museum for Gene's first visit to it; we were met at the door by Larry Luxenberg, Museum President. Indeed, one happy milestone for all of us who have labored and donated to create our A. T. Museum !

From Left to Right: Nancy Ann Shaffer Nofziger (for Earl Shaffer), Dan Garvey (for Ed Garvey), Gene Espy,
    ATC Executive Director Dave Startzell (for Benton MacKaye), ATC Chief Operating Officer Steve Paradis (for Arthur Perkins), and PATC President John Hedrick (for Myron Avery).
    For more info on some of the various inductees, please go to either of the attachments ~ one has been awhile on our website, www.atmuseum.org. and the other is the recent PDF posted earlier in this Whiteblaze.net thread.

HAPPY TRAILS !
    Robert " RW ", A. T. Museum Membership Secretary

PS: here are the aforementioned attachments. ~ RW

Arrow 3 A. T. Museum presentations at the 2011 ALDHA Gathering !

A. T. MUSEUM ~ PRESENTATIONS AT 2011 ALDHA Gathering !

The Appalachian Trail Museum has three presentations on the 2011 ALDHA Gathering Schedule !
    The following are the synopsis of each:

SATURDAY, Oct. 8 -- 10:30 - noon, in Murdock Hall, Rm. # 301
    ~ Terry Harley-Wilson will lead a panel discussion of "The Subculture of Long Distance Hiking of the A. T." The panel discussion will relate directly to the themes covered by the new Appalachian Trail Museum exhibit "Take a Hike! The Subculture of Long-Distance Hiking on the Appalachian Trail." These themes are central to all cultures and include the needs for food and water,shelter, spiritual and religious needs, and personal expression.

SUNDAY, Oct. 9 -- 1:30 - 2:45, in Murdock Hall, Rm. # 322
    ~ Larry Luxenberg, Museum President, leads the A. T. Museum Meeting. ALL are invited to attend, A.T. Museum members and non-members ! As you may already know, we have reached certain financial milestones and are able to begin the next phases of construction on our building ! The new construction plans plus other subjects oriented to our A.T. Museum, new exhibits and 2012 activities, will be discussed and questions answered. WELCOME ALL !

SUNDAY, Oct. 9 -- 3 - 5 p.m., in Murdock Hall, Rm. # 322
    ~ The Museum Symposium: "The Legacy of Benton MacKaye" will be presented by Larry Anderson, author of Benton MacKaye's biography "Benton MacKaye, Conservationist, Planner, and Creator of the Appalachian Trail" and by Larry Luxenberg, A.T. Museum President. F.Y.I ~

Benton
    MacKaye

Conservationist, Planner, and
    Creator of the Appalachian Trail

Larry Anderson

“There is no biography of Benton MacKaye and this is likely to become the standard work on this important American for many years. It is a major contribution to the history of the development of the wilderness conservation and recreation movement, as well as a thorough and engaging account of the life and work of one of its most innovative leaders.”
    — Kermit C. Parsons, former dean of the College of
    Architecture, Art, and Planning at Cornell University

Planner and originator of the Appalachian Trail and a cofounder of the Wilderness Society, Benton MacKaye (1879-1975) was a pioneer in linking the concepts of preservation and recreation. Spanning three-quarters of a century, his long and productive career had a major impact on emerging movements in conservation, environmentalism, and regional planning. MacKaye’s seminal ideas on outdoor recreation, wilderness protection, land-use planning, community development, and transportation have inspired generations of activists, professionals, and adventurers seeking to strike a harmonious balance between human need and the natural environment.

This path-breaking biography provides the first complete portrait of a significant and unique figure in American environmental, intellectual, and cultural history. Drawing on extensive research, Larry Anderson traces MacKaye’s extensive career, examines his many published works, and describes the importance of MacKaye’s relationships with such influential figures as Lewis Mumford, Aldo Leopold, and Walter Lippmann.
    Author Larry Anderson is the former president and co-founder of the Harvard Common Press and the author of many articles on conservation, the environment and land-use planning. At the 2001 ALDHA Gathering, he delivered the first symposium co-sponsored by the A.T. Museum and ALDHA. The subject, of course, was Benton MacKaye. Appropriately enough, that year’s Gathering was at Dartmouth College, home of MacKaye’s papers.
    The 464-page hardcover book is now available online for $45 through the Johns Hopkins University Press, located at
    www.press.jhu.edu/press/books/titles/f02/f02anbe.htm

Arrow Furnace Fest ~ this weekend at Pine Grove Furnace State Park ( Museum's home)

Pine Grove Furnace State Park 'Friends' plan weekend Furnace Fest !
    Published: Tuesday, October 12, 2010, “The Patriot-News” by Elizabeth Gibson

The event, hosted by Friends of Pine Grove Furnace State Park, runs from 6:30-9:30 p.m. Friday,
    1-6:30 p.m. Saturday and 1-5 Sunday. Admission is free.

Friday events include country line dancing from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Friday at the furnace pavilion,
    followed by a historical slide presentation, "Mountains, Metal and Men." On Saturday and Sunday, there
    will be pumpkin-carving, hayrides, vendors with harvest arts and food. There will be a chance to win a new
    refrigerator and range.

Organizers still have room for last-minute vendors. Vendor fees are $25 for one day and $50 for both festival
    days. Festival volunteers also are needed. Information: Jason Zimmerman 486-7174.

Additionally, I want to pass along a request relayed to me from Margy Schmidt. The following is a request for volunteers:

Volunteers are needed for Fall Furnace Fest at Pine Grove Furnace State Park
    Furnace Fest events will run from 11:00 am - 7:00 pm on Sat, October 15 and 12:00 - 5:00 on Sunday,
    October 16. We are signing up
    volunteers for the event. If you are interested in helping the park out
    with this important fund raising festival you can respond to
    [email protected] . Let me know
    when you are available. We really need volunteers on Saturday Thank-you.

Sincerely,
    Mary Caldarelli
    Furnace Fest Volunteer Needs:
    ~Scare Crow Making ~Pumpkin selling ~Greeters ~Hayride

For more detailed info, please see the attachments.

HAPPY TRAILS !

Default Appalachian Trail Museum ends 2nd. season ~ opening date for 2012 season

THIS WEEKEND IS LAST WEEKEND OF 2011 SEASON

Larry Luxenberg, Appalachian Trail Museum President, sent me the following note ( FYI ):
    "The Museum will close at 4 p.m. Oct. 30 and reopen at noon on March 31 next spring".

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Many thanks to all you who have helped our Appalachian Trail Museum achieve, in this our second season, the high degree of success we've enjoyed. Through your many forms of support, not only of financial or material donations and volunteer labor, but also through your physical presence while visiting, you have had a huge impact on the Appalachian Trail Museum's creation, operation, and growth. With a lot of excitement,we anticipate another excellent seaon in the new year 2012! Thank you for all the help with our A. T. Museum.

HAPPY TRAILS!

Robert "Red Wolf o'da Smoky's" Croyle
    Appalachian Trail Museum, Membership Secretary
    [email protected]
    www.atmuseum.org Jennifer Pharr Davis_Roadshow_PR_PA[1].pdf

Default Volunteer Recognition Dinner postponed because of recent wintery weather!

WEATHER DELAYS VOLUNTEER RECOGNITION DINNER !

Margy Schmidt, Museum Manager, recently sent this letter to whom it may concern ~FYI:

"Dear Volunteers and Friends of the AT Museum,
    Because of the extended power outage and schedule conflicts caused by last Saturday's snow storm, we have decided to postpone our volunteer dinner until November 19th, 4:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Ironmaster's Mansion at Pine Grove Furnace State Park.

I hope that those of you who were planning to attend on the 5th will still be able to come on the 19th, and that those who had other obligations may now be available to join us.

So that I can have a good estimate of how many to plan for, please respond by Monday, November 14, to let me know if the new date will work for you.

Hope you are all well and survived this early taste of winter,

Margy Schmidt
    Manager
    Appalachian Trail Museum
    [email protected]
    717-486-4083"

I am sure that I do not speak alone when I say "Thank you, Margaret Schmidt, for the past two years of tireless service for us as the museum manager of our Appalachian Trail Museum. Your work through the opening of the A. T. Museum and for its first two seasons has been not only an inspiration to us all, but a great source of help and guidance to many of those visiting thousands who have come through its doors. Thank you and know that you will be missed. Best wishes for all your future plans"!

HAPPY TRAILS !

[email protected]
    (912) 231 - 8874 ~after 6pm only please

Arrow A few good volunteers needed next Monday at the Appalachian Trail Museum

VOLUNTEER HELP NEEDED ~ REQUESTED

Margy Schmidt, A. T. Museum Manager, just sent out the following letter requesting your volunteer help:

"Hello all, I'm looking for a couple of volunteers for next Monday morning, 11/14, about 9:30 a.m., for some miscellaneous maintenance around the museum. I have a roofing company scheduled to repair caulking on the chimneys tomorrow. While they are up there they will clean the gutters, and it will save us some expense if we take care of the clean up of the debris from the ground. Also there are several large branches down on the lawn from last week's "Shocktober" snowstorm. I'd like to get them moved over along the driveway where the park crew can get to them with their truck. Lastly, a volunteer is coming that day to repair the front door, and may need an extra hand removing the door, and holding things in place.

Please let me know if you are available. We will reschedule if the weather isn't good.

Also, I'd like to remind you that our volunteer party has been postponed until the 19th, starting at 4 p.m. at the Ironmaster's Mansion. I'm looking forward to seeing you there. Thanks for everything,

Margy SchmidtManager
    Appalachian Trail Museum
    [email protected]
    717-486-4083"

HAPPY TRAILS !
    Membership Secretary
    [email protected]
    www.atmuseum.org

Thumbs up Excerpts from Museum President's recent letter

EXCERPTS FROM RECENT LETTER & VOLUNTEER RECOGNITION DINNER !

Here are some excerpts from the Museum President's letter to the A. T. Museum Board of Directors,which was just received today. ~ F.Y.I.

“I wanted to update everyone on recent developments. Our second season is just about over and by most accounts was another highly successful year. We’ll have one more group this Saturday and then will close until March 31, 2012.

One remarkable feature of our first two years is that we’ve been open every day that we were scheduled to as well as additional hours and days with two exceptions: missing one day for Hurricane Irene in August and another for the October snowstorm. That record is a tribute to our museum manager Margy Schmidt’s remarkable leadership as well as our great group of volunteers. One volunteer, Joanne Paine, came from California to spend the month of June with us and kept it open every morning for thru-hikers.

On Saturday we’re having our rescheduled Volunteer Party at Ironmasters Mansion from 4 pm until 8 pm. During the year we had 50 docents putting in 1589 hours as well as many other volunteers. After this season Margy will be stepping down. A search for her successor began two months ago. We have received applications and a search committee is in the final stages of selecting a new Museum Manager from among these talented candidates.”

Watch this Whiteblaze thread for more Appalachian Trail Museum news & info as we go through the upcoming holiday season.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !

Robert " RED WOLF O'da SMOKY'S " Croyle, Membership Secretary
    [email protected]

Smile More excerpts from Museum President's recent letter................

MUSEUM PRESIDENT'S RECENT LETTER ~ more excerpts

Here are some more excerpts from a recent letter (last week) from Larry Luxenberg, Museum President, to the Appalachian Trail Museum Board of Directors. ~ F. Y. I. :

“On October 5, we had a meeting of 20 people including representatives of the park and the PA. Dept. of Conservation & Natural Resources, many hiking clubs and our architect to reach agreement on our plans for the museum construction.

Last week we received the signed copy of the 25-year lease extension. We also got two major grants – a $30,000 grant from the South Mountain Partnership and a $50,000 anonymous challenge grant as well as a $10,000 contribution from the Hershey Corporation.
    Volunteers from Norfolk Southern Railroad built a kiosk outside the Museum where we can display flyers and information about the Museum’s programs, park activities and the A.T."

We will still need a lot of volunteer help, both physical and financial, to reach our Appalachian Trail Museum construction goals.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ! ! !

Robert"RED WOLF o'da SMOKY'S" Croyle
    Museum Membership Secretary
    [email protected]

Wink And more 2011 news

TRAVELING EXHIBIT & HIKER PICTURES !

"During the spring the Museum unveiled its new traveling exhibit on the culture of thru-hiking. The exhibit was the result of nearly a year’s work by Terry as well as some of her colleagues at the Mather Museum. It was funded by a grant from the Quimby Foundation.

Also, during the spring we launched the athikerpictures website. This was the result of the Polaroid project that Terry spearheaded, which involved digitizing nearly thirty years of Polaroid pictures of thru-hikers form Harpers Ferry."

More news will be following later.

HAPPY TRAILS !

Robert"Red Wolf", Membership Secretary
    [email protected]

Arrow Item # 9 ~ special features / www.atmuseum.org website

SPECIAL FEATURE # 9 : early magazine article

One of the first magazine articles featuring the Appalachian Trail, which points out some of the sights one would expect have access when the trail was completed. Click on the following link to view or go to www.atmuseum.org :

www.atmuseum.org/feature articles pdf/1928 Mentor.pdf

~ note the thumbnails for pages in the left margin of the clicked-on link

HAPPY TRAILS !

A. T. Museum Membership Secretary
    [email protected]

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++