WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Default Recent Appalachian Trail Conservancy Article

A. T. C. News Article

Thought I'd pass along this Appalachian Trail Conservancy news article just received from our A. T. Museum Media Contact, Joe Patterson. FYI

HAPPY TRAILS !
    Robert "Red Wolf o'da Smoky's" Croyle

Arrow Hall of Fame news release to trail and hiking clubs

HALL OF FAME NEWS RELEASE TO TRAIL & HIKING CLUBS TODAY

Joseph Patterson, Museum Media Contact, annouced today that he was set to release the following news article to the various trail and hiking clubs. As many of you have already seen much of it, just skim over the following as a sort of "refresher" ~ NOTE: STILL TIME TO GET YOUR TICKETS !

NEWS RELEASE
    April 15, 2011

First Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Banquet to be Held on June 17

GARDNERS, PA. -- Hikers and hiking enthusiasts nationwide will gather at 7 p.m. on Friday, June 17, at Allenberry Resort in Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania, for the first Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame banquet. The highlight of the banquet will be the induction of the first class of Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame honorees. "The banquet will be the culmination of a tremendous amount of work by the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Committee, chaired by Jim Foster of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania," said Larry Luxenberg, president of the Appalachian Trail Museum Society. "The A. T. Museum is pleased to host the event and to be the home of the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame." Hall of Fame inductees will be people who have made a major contribution to the Appalachian Trail, or otherwise have advanced the cause of the Appalachian Trail. Nominees include pioneers who conceived of and developed the trail; those who organized or directed major trail organizations like the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and the Appalachian Trail maintaining clubs; longtime trail maintainers; leaders who promoted and protected the Appalachian Trail; hikers who have made significant accomplishments, and other persons who have enriched the culture or community of the Appalachian Trail by their association with it.

The cost of the banquet is $30 for museum members and $40 for others. Cumberland County Commissioner and avid hiker Rick Rovegno will emcee, and entertainment will be provided by popular storyteller Pennsylvania Jack.

Tickets may be purchased online at http://athalloffame.eventbrite.com/ or by sending a check to:
    Appalachian Trail Museum
    1120 Pine Grove Road
    Gardners, PA 17324

Questions about the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Banquet may be sent to [email protected]

Allenberry has reserved a block of rooms for banquet attendees. For more information on Allenberry and to reserve a room, call 1-800-430-5468 or (717) 258-3211, or go to http://www.allenberry.com/

The Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame is being established by the Appalachian Trail Museum Society, which has opened to recognize those who have made a significant contribution toward establishing and maintaining the 2,181 mile footpath that passes through 14 states from Maine to Georgia.

The banquet will be a part of the first Appalachian Trail Museum Festival, an event that will celebrate the museum and its opening on June 5, 2010, as the first museum in the United States dedicated to hiking. During its first year, the museum attracted more than 8,000 visitors from 48 states and 18 countries.

Located in Pine Grove Furnace State Park and at the midway point of the Appalachian Trail, the museum is across from the Pine Grove General Store on Pennsylvania Route 233. The museum is open from noon to 4 p.m. daily from Memorial Day to Labor Day and on weekends from noon to 4 p.m. in the spring and fall.

About the Appalachian Trail Museum Society
    The Appalachian Trail Museum Society, a 501-C-3 not-for-profit organization formed in 2002, organizes programs, exhibits, volunteers and fundraising nationwide for the Appalachian Trail Museum. The museum opened on June 5, 2010, as a tribute to the thousands of men, women and families who have hiked and maintained the 2,181 mile long hiking trail that passes through 14 states from Maine to Georgia. Located in the Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Gardners, Pennsylvania, the museum is conveniently near Carlisle, Gettysburg and Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. Additional information is available at www.atmuseum.org.

About Pennsylvania Jack

For more on storyteller Jack Graham, a/k/a Pennsylvania Jack, visit his website: www.pajack.com/

Thumbs up Museum table at ALDHA TD 2011 Hiker Reception

A. T. MUSEUM & 2011 TRAIL DAYS ALDHA HIKER RECEPTION ~ SPECIAL NEW EXHIBIT !

Mary Parry"Trailangelmary",Trail Days 2011 ALDHA Hiker Reception Co-ordinator, annouced today the following for this hiker reception at the Rock School, Damascus, Virginia on May 13 from 11am-12noon:

"Exciting things to happen at the event: Terry Harley Wilson will be displaying the AT Museum traveling exhibit "Hiker Culture" at the ALDHA reception and Pilgrim will be selling the NEW ALDHA items at the event. The NEW ALDHA display will be at the event to promote membership to ALDHA. And of course food for the hikers! Donations will be greatly appreciated. A google spreadsheet will be up this weekend for you to enter what you will donate and deliver to the Rock School."

For more info go to the FORUM "Get Togethers" and scroll down to the thread ALDHA Hiker Reception.

HAPPY TRAILS !
    A. T. Museum, Membership Secretary
    [email protected]
    www.atmuseum.org
    www.aldha.org

Exclamation Museum gets new treasurer ~ just posted today

11:47 TODAY ~ A. T. MUSEUM BOARD NAMES NEW TREASURER !

The Museum's treasurer spot was recently vacant. Jay Sexton, a highly respected and semi-retired CPA who lives two miles from the Museum has agreed to become treasurer. He and his wife Katy were docents at the Museum last year. Margy Schmidt, Museum Manager and Larry Luxenberg, Museum President have met with Jay and he has inspected our financial records and is prepared to take over. The Appalachian Trail Museum's board members just voted today to approve Jay as treasurer, so it’s official (per Larry's email today, 4/25/2011, at 11:47am). "Thankyou" Jay for accepting this most important Appalachian Trail Museum position and "Welcome". We all look forward to working with you for the benefit of our Appalachian Trail Museum.

HAPPY TRAILS !

Appalachian Trail Museum, Membership Secretary
    [email protected]
    www.atmuseum.org

note: please see attachment below for a printable membership / donor form and contact info for Docent Program volunteers and other volunteers:
    Attached Files Attached Files

I section-hiked Duncannon-to-Harpers Ferry April 6-15 and by happenstance, arrived at Pine Grove Furnace on Saturday so I was able to see the Museum. Looks good! I liked the displays of Avery, MacKaye, Garvey, Shaffer, and Espy. It was also nice to meet Terry.

Looking forward to the reception at Trail Days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I section-hiked Duncannon-to-Harpers Ferry April 6-15 and by happenstance, arrived at Pine Grove Furnace on Saturday so I was able to see the Museum. Looks good! I liked the displays of Avery, MacKaye, Garvey, Shaffer, and Espy. It was also nice to meet Terry.

Looking forward to the reception at Trail Days.
    Cookerhiker, thankyou for the favorable comments about the A. T. Museum. Glad you found it enjoyable and that you had a good hike SOBO.

Maybe see you at the Trail Days ALDHA Hiker Reception ( Friday at the Rock School Auditorium ) .

HAPPY TRAILS !

Robert"RW"

I had a chance to visit the museum this past Saturday. In fact, I volunteered as a greeter along with Jennifer and Tom, and got to meet Margy and quite a few interesting visitors, including a thru-hiker class of '91 who found her ATC picture through the computer kiosk. That was fun for all of us.

I hope to get back there soon to volunteer again. Please support the museum by visiting and/or becoming a member.

Thumbs up Your VOTE needed

Quote Originally Posted by Limo View Post
    I had a chance to visit the museum this past Saturday. In fact, I volunteered as a greeter along with Jennifer and Tom, and got to meet Margy and quite a few interesting visitors, including a thru-hiker class of '91 who found her ATC picture through the computer kiosk. That was fun for all of us.

I hope to get back there soon to volunteer again. Please support the museum by visiting and/or becoming a member.
    Limo, we just have had a new way for EVERYONE to support the A. T. Museum ~~ by your VOTE in the new Chase Community Giving Contest for the Appalachian Trail Museum. Click-on this link: http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/ ; type Appalachian Trail Museum in the charity search bar ; under that box will appear the A T Museum link ; click-on it and your vote will be cast ! After that you may wish to write something in the COMMENTS or, by going to the Chase Community Giving page where you can vote for the top 20 charities and gain another vote, which a friend of yours can use to vote again for the A. T. Museum. With EVERYONE'S HELP we will WIN some of that Chase Community Giving money our Appalachian Trail Museum !

HAPPY TRAILS !

Robert"Red Wolf o'da Smoky's" Croyle
    www.atmuseum.org

Question Request from Margy Schmidt, A. T. Museum Manager

This request for volunteers I thought I'd pass along to you in the hope that the needed experts will come forward and offer the necesary volunteer work to our Appalachian Trail Museum :

Hello all, We have a couple of maintenance needs at the museum.

First of all, we need to start mowing the grass on the lot, and with all the rain, and the last couple of warm days, it is really growing. The museum received a generous donation of a mower, so all I need now is someone with a couple of hours to spare to do the cutting. Ideally, I'd like to have it done once before the weekend. If you have any time in the next couple of days and would be able to help out, please let me know.

I would also like to compile a contact list of people willing to mow through the summer that I would call on as needed. If you can contribute a couple of hours here or there, please let me know.

Finally, we have been having leaks around the chimneys during some of the heavy rain storms, so I'm looking for roofers or chimney experts to contact to do the repairs. If you know of anyone skilled who could volunteer, or of a reputable professional to give an estimate, please let me know.

Thanks,

Margy Schmidt
    Manager
    Appalachian Trail Museum
    [email protected]
    717-486-4083

The phone number supplied above by Margy, is the contact number for ALL VOLUNTEERS to the Museum ~greeters, helpers, etc.
    HAPPY TRAILS !
    Robert "RW" Croyle
    [email protected]

Default Refreshment donations requested

Quote Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
    A. T. MUSEUM & 2011 TRAIL DAYS ALDHA HIKER RECEPTION ~ SPECIAL NEW EXHIBIT !

Mary Parry"Trailangelmary",Trail Days 2011 ALDHA Hiker Reception Co-ordinator, annouced today the following for this hiker reception at the Rock School, Damascus, Virginia on May 13 from 11am-12noon:

"Exciting things to happen at the event: Terry Harley Wilson will be displaying the AT Museum traveling exhibit "Hiker Culture" at the ALDHA reception and Pilgrim will be selling the NEW ALDHA items at the event. The NEW ALDHA display will be at the event to promote membership to ALDHA. And of course food for the hikers! Donations will be greatly appreciated. A google spreadsheet will be up this weekend for you to enter what you will donate and deliver to the Rock School."

For more info go to the FORUM "Get Togethers" and scroll down to the thread ALDHA Hiker Reception.

HAPPY TRAILS !
    [email protected]
    www.atmuseum.org
    www.aldha.org
    Since our Appalachian Trail Museum has its' usual spot at the Trail Days 2011 ALDHA Hiker Reception, it would be appropriate for any of us
    A. T. Musem members to help out with a few donations of refeshment food items (that is if you will be there in Damascus for the Festival next week (May 13 - 15). Please see the following letter from "Trailangelmary" Mary Parry of Duncannon, PA the event organizer and click-on the link to go to the spread sheets:

"Hello,
    I am a member of ALDHA (Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association), a non-profit organization and am the event organizer for the ALDHA Hiker Reception at the Rock School on Friday, May 13, 2011.

The reason I am writing is to ask if you would like to make a donation of food for our reception. AND, since we at ALDHA realize the economy is tough these days, we will show our appreciation for your generous donation by listing you in a feature article in the ALDHA Newsletter. We will also verbally recognize any businesses that donate at the reception.

As you may be aware when hikers are in town, they eat often. We do not have any intention to take away from any Damascus food business but like to offer the hikers snacks at the reception. ALDHA will be purchasing the meat and cheese for sandwiches and other miscellaneous items but there are many other items on my wish list for serving the hungry hikers: lettuce and tomato for the sandwiches, bananas and other fruit, a vegetable tray, a sheet cake with the ALDHA logo, pastries, tortilla wraps, bread, powder drink mix, chips, nachos, coffee.

Some items have already been donated. You can visit the google spreadsheet to see more details about amounts. You can also enter your donations there or email me and I will enter them on the sheet. If you would like to donate just part of a quantity of an item that would be great too.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtvqPoobVSWGdFRVUXhpSDMtUGhCM3M1dDEtNF9VS Gc&hl=en&authkey=CPeomfwO

I will be arriving in Damascus sometime Wednesday and plan on picking up any donations during the day on Thursday.

Hoping to hear from you soon,
    Sincerely,

Mary "trailangelmary" Parry "

http://www.facebook.com/trailangelmary

FYI ~ please see attachment below for a printable A. T. Museum member/donor form and for info and volunteer contacts:

Default Spring 2011 Michaux Forest Association Newsletter

MICHAUX FOREST ASSOCIATION'S SPRING NEWSLETTER ARTICLE

The Michaux Forest Association's Spring 2011 Newsletter, recently sent by their editor, Debra Rosevear, has an excellent Appalachian Trail Museum article on page # 7. Please follow the link below to view the Newsletter.

HAPPY TRAILS !

[email protected]
    www.atmuseum.org

ps: also I have included a printable member/donor form and volunteer & info contacts in the 2nd. attachment below. ~ RW

so whats happening with the museum? anyone heard from red wolf? cant seem to keep updated. its like a secret ingredient in fine print they dont want you to know about. heard somthing about the museum being open soon. just have to try google.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    so whats happening with the museum? anyone heard from red wolf? cant seem to keep updated. its like a secret ingredient in fine print they dont want you to know about. heard somthing about the museum being open soon. just have to try google.
    WHAT? Red wolf health reports good. He'll be at trail days. Mueum is open weekends till memorial day and then open 7 days a week.

Default Blind hiker Bill Irwin at Museum Saturday, May 14

May 7, 2011

Blind Appalachian Trail Hiker to Make Stop at Appalachian Trail Museum on May 14

GARDNERS, PA. – Bill Irwin, the only blind person to have ever completed the 2,181 mile Appalachian Trail solo, will be at the Appalachian Trail Museum on Saturday afternoon, May 14. The Appalachian Trail crosses 14 states from Maine to Georgia.
    His historic hike, with his Seeing Eye dog Orient, began in Georgia in March 1990 and ended almost nine months later in north central Maine. “This amazing odyssey was the single most publicized human endeavor that year, and an inspiring example of overcoming the odds for all,” said Larry Luxeneberg, president of the Appalachian Trail Museum Society. “Bill will be hiking the Appalachian Trail with a youth group, and we are not sure when they will arrive at the museum on May 14, but we are planning for around midday to early afternoon.”
    The Appalachian Trail Museum is located on the Appalachian Trail and is in Pine Grove Furnace State Park not far from Carlisle, Chambersburg and Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The midway point of the trail is three miles south of the museum.
    “Bill continues to inspire millions of people each year as a motivational speaker. His unique message of perseverance and the will to survive tantalizes all audiences throughout the world as he encourages his listeners to achieve their impossible dreams,” Luxenberg added. “His home spun, self deprecating humor and life experiences, (over 30 years in corporate America, recovery from alcoholism, the Appalachian Trail experiences and encounters as a family counselor) allow him to make life-changing observations which translate into eventual life changing decisions in the lives of others.”

Irwin's best selling book Blind Courage, the account of his lifetime of overcoming the odds and his incredible journey, was released nationally in 1992, is in its 11th printing and also is published in the Bill Irwin and his dog Orient in 1990 United Kingdom, Germany and Taiwan. He has appeared on television programs such as" The Morning Show" on NBC, "Sonya Live" on CNN and "Heart to Heart" on CBN. Additionally, he has been the subject and cover story of many magazines.
    While at the museum, Irwin will talk with visitors and sign books. For youngsters at the museum, a children’s book about the historic hike that Irwin made with Orient will be read by a museum volunteer.
    The Appalachian Trail Museum is across from the Pine Grove General Store on Pennsylvania Route 233 in south central Pennsylvania. The museum is open from noon to 4 p.m. daily from Memorial Day to Labor Day and on weekends from noon to 4 p.m. in the spring and fall.
    The Appalachian Trail Museum Society, a 501-C-3 not-for-profit organization formed in 2002, organizes programs, exhibits, volunteers and fundraising nationwide for the Appalachian Trail Museum. The museum opened on June 5, 2010, as a tribute to the thousands of men, women and families who have hiked and maintained the 2,181 mile long hiking trail that passes through 14 states from Maine to Georgia. Located in the Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Gardners, Pennsylvania, the museum is conveniently near Carlisle, Gettysburg and Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. Additional information is available at www.atmuseum.org.

PS: see attachments below for more Appalachian Trail Museum news and a printable membership/donation form ~ JOIN US TODAY

HAPPY TRAILS !
    Robert "Red Wolf o'da Smoky's' Croyle
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    Museum is open Matty. www.atmuseum.org

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelmary View Post
    Museum is open Matty. www.atmuseum.org
    I was just in there yesterday...
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Default Hall of Fame Banquet ~ Tickets

HALL OF FAME BANQUET ~ TICKETS

We're encouraging all friends of the Appalachian Trail to purchase their tickets to the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Banquet soon. Ticket sales have been brisk, but some are still available.

The Banquet will be held on Friday evening, June 17 at the famous Allenberry Resort Inn & Playhouse, just steps away from the AT in Boiling Springs, PA. The festivities begin at 6 pm with a cash bar and silent auction of many trail-related items donated by friends of the Museum. Highlights of the Silent Auction include: a two night stay at the Paymasters Cabin near the Museum in Pine Grove Furnace State Park; seven packages at nearby Hotels and Bed & Breakfasts, including Allenberry; hand carved hiking sticks and Christmas ornaments; and Earl Shaffer's book "Calling Me Back To The Hills, signed by the late author. We're expecting to add several more items as we get closer to June 17. During the Silent Auction,
    musical entertainment will be provided by The New South Mountain Ramblers.

The banquet will begin at 7 p.m. Cumberland County Commissioner Rick Rovegno, a hiker and friend of the Museum, will serve as Master of Ceremonies, and entertainment will be provided by Pennsylvania Jack, a renowned storyteller. The keynote of the evening will be the announcement of the Charter Class of the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame.

A reception with a cash bar will precede the Banquet, beginning at 6 p.m., during the reception we will hold a silent auction.

We are offering a limited number of banquet tickets to members of the Appalachian Trail Museum at the discounted price of $30 per person. Museum members may purchase up to 4 tickets at this discounted price. Tickets are offered to non-members at the regular price of $40 per person. Seating is limited.

To purchase discounted tickets, you may EITHER

- Follow this link to the special eventbrite ticketing site we have established:

ttp://athalloffame.eventbrite.com

OR

- Mail your ticket request and payment check to this address:

Appalachian Trail Museum
    Hall of Fame Tickets
    1120 Pine Grove Road
    Gardners, PA 17324

We have established a special email address for questions concerning the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Banquet: [email protected]

Allenberry has reserved a block of rooms for Banquet attendees. For more information on Allenberry and to reserve a room, call 1-800-430-5468 or (717) 258-3211, or go to http://www.allenberry.com/

The Appalachian Trail Museum is located on the Appalachian Trail and is in Pine Grove Furnace State Park not far from Carlisle, Chambersburg and Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The midway point of the trail is three miles south of the museum.

HAPPY TRAILS !
    Robert "Red Wolf o'da Smoky's' Croyle
    [email protected]

Thumbs up Museum news release today

MUSEUM RECENT NEWS ~ 2 WEEKENDS of SPECIAL EVENTS !

Pine Grove Furnace State ParkCONTACT:
    1100 Pine Grove Road Park Office
    Gardners, PA 17324 717-486-7174

NEWS RELEASE May 17, 2011

Back-to-Back Special Event Weekends
    to Be Held at Pine Grove Furnace State Park

GARDNERS, PA -- Pine Grove Furnace State Park and the Appalachian Trail Museum, in conjunction with many of its partners, are preparing for two straight weekends of outdoor events and family programming -- National Get Outdoors Day on Saturday, June 11 and the First Appalachian Trail Festival June 18 & 19.

JUNE 11~
    Pine Grove Furnace State Park, recently named the 2010 State Park of the Year, the South Mountain Partnership, and the Appalachian Trail Conservancy are sponsoring National Get Outdoors Day to provide outdoor and education opportunities for the entire family. Events for the day begin at 8:00 a.m. with a half marathon and 5K run to support the Friends of Pine Grove Furnace, a non-profit organization that helps promote volunteerism and assist with events at the park. Other morning events include trail hikes to local scenic vistas and historical sites, a wildflower walk, a historical scavenger hunt and kayaking for beginners.

Lunch will be available at the Central Pennsylvania Conservancy’s newly renovated Ironmaster’s Mansion. Meals will include hamburgers, hotdogs, sloppy Joes, potatoes salad, watermelon, desert and drink for only $7.

“The afternoon of National Get Outdoors Day will feature the South Mountain Ramble as part of the South Mountain Speaker Series,” said Jason Zimmerman, manager of Pine Grove Furnace State Park. “ This will be a fun interactive 1.5 mile hike for the whole family that will explore the area’s rich history. Topics will include local Native American history, the Underground Railroad in South Mountain, the South Mountain Iron Industry, a local history of the natural world, Appalachian Trail Balderdash and history at the Appalachian Trail Museum, and the history of Camp Michaux.”

Registration is required for all events and, with the exception of the half marathon and 5K run, are free. To register, visit the DCNR Calendar of Events for Pine Grove Furnace State Park at www.dcnr.state.pa.us or call the Park Office at 717-486-7174.

JUNE 18 & 19~
    The Appalachian Trail Museum will hold its first festival on June 18-19 at the park. “The festival will celebrate hiker culture and feature a new traveling exhibit developed by the museum,” Zimmerman said. The kick-off for the festival will be the inaugural Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Banquet on the evening of June 17, at Allenberry Resort in Boiling Springs. At the banquet, the first class of six honorees will be inducted into the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame, which will be located in the museum’s building at Pine Grove Furnace State Park. The festival will feature a hiking program, music, storytelling, crafts, competitions and history programs. There also will be a variety of activities for children on both days. Additional information on the Appalachian Trail Museum and the festival weekend events can be found at www.atmuseum.org.

About Pine Grove Furnace State Park
    Steeped in natural and historical features, the 696-acre Pine Grove Furnace State Park is in a beautiful mountain setting in southern Cumberland County. Surrounded by Michaux State Forest, Pine Grove Furnace features two lakes, 25-acre Laurel Lake and 1.7-acre Fuller Lake, a historic area and the Appalachian Trail. The park is easily reached from I-81. Visitors should take Exit 37 to PA 233 south then travel for eight miles. For more information on DCNR, visit www.dcnr.state.pa.us.

I have attached two articles of info ~FYI. Also below is a printable membership/donation form for your convenient use. (see as follows below) .

HAPPY TRAILS !
    [email protected]
    www.atmuseum.org

Default Passing along a post from "7 Sisters" ~ FYI & ENJOY!

Appalachian Museum Celebrates Joys of Hiking

By Dave Warner
    GARDNERS, Pennsylvania | Mon May 16, 2011 11:08am EDT

Halfway along a hiking trail that stretches along the east coast of the United States from Georgia to Maine, a museum celebrates the joys and wonders of the great outdoors.

The Appalachian Trail Museum, in the tiny village of Gardners in the Pennsylvania hills, marks the middle of one of the nation's premier natural attractions -- the 2,147-mile trail of the same name which attracts thousands of hikers each year.

"The actual half way point is two miles south of here." said Larry Luxenberg, the president of the museum located in a 200-year-old stone grist mill.

The museum contains photographs of 13,000 trail pioneers and hikers, as well as a reconstruction of a shelter built by Earl Shaffer, the first person who walked the entire trail in 1948.

A festival from June 17-19 will mark the one year anniversary of the museum, which is funded by donations and grants, and include the induction of the first members of its Hall of Fame, according to Luxenberg, who is a hiker and financial adviser.

June is also the month when so-called "thru-hikers" start to arrive at Gardners on their four to six month trek north to Maine.

The U.S. National Parks Service estimates that to complete the entire trail would involve 5 million steps for the average adult.

An estimated 300 to 500 thru hikers complete the entire trail each year, but the parks service said about 4 million people hike parts of it of annually, either in long sections, or just for the day.

Ron Tipton, senior vice president for policy at the National Parks Conservation Association, and himself a veteran thru hiker, estimates about 1,000 people start with the intention of walking the whole trail, but far fewer actually finish.

He said about 90 percent of hikers travel south to north because the weather breaks right for them on a months-long trek and about 10 percent hike north to south.

The thru hikers will be passing through Gardners and the nearby Pine Grove Furnace State Park, and most will stop at the Pine Grove Furnace General Store to fulfill what has become a hiker tradition here -- eating, in one sitting, a half-gallon (4.1 kg) of ice cream.

"You really have a craving for ice cream on this trail," said Luxenberg, "You have a craving for fat."

Store clerk Barbara Delgado said hikers gulp down their choice of chocolate, vanilla, moose tracks, cookies and cream or green mint chip - some of them too fast.

"It's a lot of sugar," she explained. "They throw up."

One hiker wrote proudly in the store guest book: "I, Ryan LaMarca, also known as #8 northbound thru hiker on the AT have completed the half-gallon challenge. Easy day. Peace."

Serious hikers on the trail tend to use nicknames rather than their given names.

At a campground a few hundred yards (meters) from the store, hikers like Two Tents can be seen cooking soup on a small propane heater beside his tent. He earned his nickname because one day he was carrying two tents.

Two Tents, whose real name is Joe Huston, of Sheakleyville, in western Pennsylvania, has completed many sections of the trail. His longest hike a 21-day adventure. He described his urge to hike saying, "You carry everything on your back. You have to take care of yourself."

Lorrie Preston, a 55-year-old from a suburb of Harrisburg, is also a volunteer at the museum. She estimates she has walked some 1,400 miles of the trail at various times. She started hiking when her children finished university.

Unlike thru hikers, Preston is a section hiker. Along with some friends she hikes 10 to 20 miles a day with a planned finish near a motel and a restaurant.

What's for dinner?
    "Something hearty," she said, "steak, pizza, spaghetti. You eat good."

HAPPY TRAILS !
    Red Wolf o'da Smoky's
    &
    SEE YAH SOON AT THE TRAIL FESTIVAL (JUNE 17-19)
    www.atmuseum.org

Arrow Museum celebrates 1st. year !

A. T. Museum to Celebrate First Anniversary ~ June 17 - 19

The first attachment below is going out today to the hiking clubs and the media. Also below is a printable donor/membership form for your convenient use (see 2nd. attachment)

PS: I reprint the following from an earlier post FYI about the Hall of Fame banquet and lodgeing at Allenberry Resort. I plan to stay there through Friday night,then move to Pine Grove Furnace State Park for Saturday and Sunday nights ~camping there is closer to the rest of the Trail Festival activities :

"We are offering a limited number of banquet tickets to members of the Appalachian Trail Museum at the discounted price of $30 per person. Museum members may purchase up to 4 tickets at this discounted price. Tickets are offered to non-members at the regular price of $40 per person. Seating is limited.

To purchase discounted tickets, you may EITHER

- Follow this link to the special eventbrite ticketing site we have established:

ttp://athalloffame.eventbrite.com

OR

- Mail your ticket request and payment check to this address:

Appalachian Trail Museum
    Hall of Fame Tickets
    1120 Pine Grove Road
    Gardners, PA 17324

We have established a special email address for questions concerning the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Banquet: [email protected]

Allenberry has reserved a block of rooms for Banquet attendees. For more information on Allenberry and to reserve a room, call 1-800-430-5468 or (717) 258-3211, or go to http://www.allenberry.com/ "

SEE YOU THERE !

A. T. Museum Membership Secretary
    [email protected]
    www.atmuseum.org

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++