WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Does an AT board game exist anywhere ?

I tried the AT Bookstore website but was unsuccessful in viewing what they had there.
    Anyway , is there an AT board game out there similar to monopoly .

Game pieces could be fashioned as a Backpack ,Tent ( NOT as to leave out all you hangers ) Hammock, Sleeping Bag, Stove, Hiking poles ( reserved for Lone Wolf ) , Hikng boots. and so on.

Starting at Springer with $ 3k you must make it to Katahdin ,but you also must take a zero day in town every 2 weeks.

If a board game like this does exist .then where ?

*** Feel free to add suggestions to this game.***

Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Thanks Trippclark for the quick response.

I think the board could be the 14 states - divided by color into the four major sections of the trail.

The players roll dice with different outcomes depending on what section of the trail you're in. Snake eyes in the Georgia section results in shin splints: lose two days travel, etc.

As your game piece progresses along the trail, you're also challenged with keeping your Enjoyment Level in the positive. If your score goes below zero, you drop off of the trail. So, cards you draw would say something along the lines of:

Pack Stolen! (rare card)
    - Lose two travel days
    - Lose $350 in funds
    - Subtract 10 from Enjoyment Level

or

Trail Magic!
    - Advance 7 extra miles
    - Add one day's food
    - Add 15 to Enjoyment Level

Images

Great ideas Lux Bullseye. When did this game first reach the market?

Maybe its time for an updated version using the mental aspect as a new twist.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a board game designed for use on the trail. It's a pretty neat game and my kids like to play it at home. Doubt I'd ever really carry it on the trail and play it though, can't be adding that extra weight.

Sounds like a surprise Christmas present for a 2010 thru-hiker?

Images

This past July there was a hiker at the RPH Shelter in NY that had some kind of AT game that was printed on fabric. Kinda like a mapdana but only it was a gamedana, I guess you'd say. I really didn't pay much attention so I can't tell you any more than that, sorry.

Images

And you could be hooked into something, so every time you gain or lose an "enjoyment" point, you get a shot of endorphins (gained point) or just a shot/shock (lost point). Pre-thru hikers could play it!
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

Create your own. MyMonopoly.Com.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Shouldn't a AT game be based around some other model than Monopoly. Monopoly is about consumption, development, greed and taking everything your opponents have. Often these are the very reasons we have left everyday society to hike.

Pick another game to base it upon, a journey type game. Uncle Wiggly comes to mind. Even Candyland would be better.
    For we cannot tarry here, We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger...

Images

It's only about greed if you want it to be about greed. Name the "streets" as "shelters" and buy them with "miles".

"Uncle Wiggly" is just as bad, if you want it to be: Anthropomorphism is rampant, robbing the characters of the respect due to them for their inherent mammalhood. Candyland is equally shocking for encouraging impressionable children to think of sweets as "good," thereby fostering pediatrict obesity.

Or you can say, "Yeah, they're all games. Have fun."

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    This past July there was a hiker at the RPH Shelter in NY that had some kind of AT game that was printed on fabric. Kinda like a mapdana but only it was a gamedana, I guess you'd say. I really didn't pay much attention so I can't tell you any more than that, sorry.
    If the game involved dice it was probably cosmic wimpout (www.cosmicwimpout.com) great game for on the trail, I learned about from a member here on WB that lives in Damascus, now all my friends play...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    It's only about greed if you want it to be about greed. Name the "streets" as "shelters" and buy them with "miles".

"Uncle Wiggly" is just as bad, if you want it to be: Anthropomorphism is rampant, robbing the characters of the respect due to them for their inherent mammalhood. Candyland is equally shocking for encouraging impressionable children to think of sweets as "good," thereby fostering pediatrict obesity.

Or you can say, "Yeah, they're all games. Have fun."

TW
    Skeezicks, while anthropomorphic, is more avian.

They are all games and I do love Monopoly, but I thought a game about the trail might be more altruistic. Afterall, no one owns the shelters. The format would need a make over.
    For we cannot tarry here, We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger...

Images

All of the shelters are owned. Many by the USFS and NPS. Others by AMC. Some of the AMC shelters charge significant fees. Other aspects of the trail involve people seeking money, whether selling guides, operating motels or hostels, restaurants or other things. Those are good things. They can be part of a game, too.

Skeezicks plays the part of a stooge, basically. This is respectful of crows, generally considered to be among the most intelligent of animals, and among the few capable of using tools deliberately?

Games are fun. Few are altruistic or incapable of some kind of absurd criticism. (Except for Col. Mustard, in the Library, with a candlestick, who, as a serving officer in the Royal Army, should not be mocked).

TW

++ New Posts ++