WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Penguin Mints... They are used by computer geeks.. Each one contains aboutthe same amount of caffeine as a 12 oz can of Coke .... Light weight too!
    Also I liked to mix Carinatinon Instant breakfast with a little instant coffee..
    http://peppermints.com/html/products.html

Two years ago I tried some semi-hard candies from Trader Joe's. Strong coffee flavor, and they supply a steady stream of both caffeine and sugar to your tired body. They keep me going all day. I've tried others, but these are my favorites because you can't just chew and swallow them.
    For real coffee, I just bring grounds, put them in my bandanna, and soak them in a pot of boiling water. Using a rubber band around the bandanna keeps the grounds in place. Some solids make it into the water but I just consider them to be added fiber .
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Canation Instant Breakfast (now called "Essentials", I think), NIDO, and a spoonful or two of Cafe d'Oro instant expresso. Served hot.

That, with a couple Logan Bread bars makes up my trail breakfast. Lots of calories, lots of vitamins and minerals, lots of fat, lots of fiber...but still a light breakfast that doesn't weigh down my gut on the trail and takes little prep or cleanup time.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Starbucks Via, Shot Bloks, and tropical flavor Hammer Gel.

Caffeine is a food group! *twitch twitch*

Many great suggestions and I appreciate everyone pitching in. I agree coffee and caffeine are a separate food group, probably the top of my pyramid.

surprised nobody mentioned chocolate covered espresso beans

My two cents... (If anyone wants to know)

I don't drink coffee very often. But I do need a hot beverage in the morning, on and off the trail. There is something thats just really satisfying about it. I figured I'm already boiling water for hot cereal or something anyway. Just some tea or powered drinks -- it'll make a gross day seem not so bad if you start off with a warm belly.

Also, they make a powered instant green tea too. It's not bad and has a good amount of caffene in it.

Quote Originally Posted by davechi View Post
    ......Also, they make a powered instant green tea too. It's not bad and has a good amount of caffene in it.
    I'm a green tea fan. Do you know who makes it, where is it available, and is it made from real tea?

Also, is powdered tea significantly lighter or less bulky than tea bags? At least you don't have anything to pack out. And it's faster to brew.

Images

If you've got a fire going, just burn the tea bags. Or take loose tea and use a re-usable tea bag. But, you have to wash those...

There is a very different taste between bag tea and powdered instant tea. I like the powdered stuff hot, and do not like it cold. I love the bags hot, and they're just as good cold. So, in conclusion, I have absolutely nothing helpful to add.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

The little one-cup plastic tubes of Taster's Choice (the best instant regular coffee; much like drip coffee tastewise).

Tea bags. Very light. Burn well. More for a hot drink in the evening than for the caffeine.

Sugar in an empty vitamin bottle.

That's my portable coffee shop.

Nido some day if I can ever find it.

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Default Caffeine Suppository

Hiking or not, I don't use Caffiene on a regular basis, but for those of you that always seem to need a Caffeine fix, I would suggest asking your doctor for this product.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/caffeine-er...ositories.html

............Remove the wrapper and moisten the suppository with cool water. Lie down on your side. Insert the pointed end of the suppository into the rectum, then use your finger to push it in completely. Wash your hands thoroughly after using Caffeine/Ergotamine Suppositories...............

Images

You live in New York- you can go to an ethnic foods store, if you really want it. In Jersey, I can get NiDo either in the powdered milk or beef boullion section of shoprite.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Lipton makes crappy Green Tea bags, but Yogi Tea company has great tea. We carry a tea ball to make coffee and tea on trail. Very easy to store in my pot and easy to clean. They cost about $3

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Lipton makes crappy Green Tea bags, but Yogi Tea company has great tea. We carry a tea ball to make coffee and tea on trail. Very easy to store in my pot and easy to clean. They cost about $3
    oh and mix a chocolate carnation with the coffee to make a killer breakfast drink

Images

Heck yeah! (Mocha...)

maxwell house coffee bags makes a good cup of coffee. make two cups of hot water one for the coffee and one for my hot oatmeal breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by trippclark View Post
    I used to get headaches on day 2 of hikes that would not go away for many hours. I figured out, finally, that it was withdrawal from caffeine.
    I used to get those from not drinking coffee. No amount of ibuprofen or anything over the counter would make those headaches go away. So horribly annoying.

My suggestion: QUIT YOUR COFFEE ADDITION!!!!!

I quit. I was unemployed and I turned to starting a 6-pack at 8 or 9 in the morning instead of coffee. Didn't do much as far as me being capable of finding a job for awhile . . . but it got me off coffee!!!

Finally I quit the beer and turned to green tea. I'm so much better off!!!! Anti-oxidants, baby!!! I still drink some occasional coffee but I no longer need 2 to 3 cups a day and no more headaches from lack of caffeine. I can go a week without, no problem. It's purely an addiction. It's not needed.

On the trail in the morning when it's chilly or downright cold (but NEVER on a warm morning) I want a hot drink to "warm the bones." What floats my boat is hot chocolate or General Foods latte mix...

http://brands.kraftfoods.com/gfic/pr...uct=4300000250

There are different flavors so it doesn't get boring for me. Never again do I wanna be hooked on coffee. Bad!

Chocolate covered espresso beans Available in bulk at some health food stores or ask about them at your local coffee shop.

Quote Originally Posted by AggieAl View Post
    Try the new instant Starbucks coffee. It is pretty good and saves weight and avoids having to mess with grounds.
    Agree with you here. I tried it the first time a couple of weeks ago at home to see if I'd like it and i LOVE it. It isn't perfect but it's by far the best tasting instant coffee that I have ever had. With a little cream and sugar in it, you can't tell it from any other cup of coffee and certainly doesn't have any of the "instant aftertaste" to it.

Them thar leetle tea bag coffee packets is real nice in the mornin'.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++