WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Facebook page is a good idea. I have been looking into that too.

Images

It's better than mailing out 30 postcards every time you get near a PO, that's for sure. (Only select, really awesome people get postcards. And relatives. So, maybe 29.)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

I'm really psyched though, been compiling food for month one, I'm already living vicariously through myself... Just the food part, I mean... I can feel myself eating delicious trail food as I pack it.

Wow, I must be delerious, delicious trail food?

(It really is good, I've spent a while finding food that I actually will want to eat.)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

tick tock..... tick tock.....

Images

One more day DOWN!!! And my train ticket arrived in the mail today- there's an option to order online, and either get it delivered, or pick it up at an online kiosk thing, and I do NOT trust those things, so I got it delivered. WAHOOO!!!

Thumbs up

Nice!!

Another week and it will be December!

Images

Images

Wait, confetti is better:

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBCS#1 View Post
    While it is difficult, I try to think about the trail as little as possible. A couple of years ago, I left Springer with the intent of thru hiking, but in the six months prior, I devoted nearly every waking hour either researching the trail or thinking about it. By the time April rolled around my enthusiasm had declined significantly since the previous November. In the spring I will be heading out of Damascus, where I left the trail two years ago, and hope to have a clear head so that it all seems fresh and new.
    Hey - I hear you OSUBCS#1. I've spent the last 7 months researching, buying, selling, switching out gear, shakedown hiking and logistics planning that I started to feel totally over saturated with information. As a result I started to feel like I needed a break from WB. I used to dream about the trail every day and lately I noticed that I have not really been thinking about it. So here I am. Looking to become inspired again to begin my adventure. Thanks much ShelterLeopard for making me feel the excitement again. I'm leaving a little later (4/14) but I hope to see you all out on the trail. Real life is starting to get me down and now I can feel excited about the future. The information I have received from WB has made my hike possible and I want to thank all those who share their experiences and advice. Well, enough from me for now - I hope to see all the class of 2010 out on the trail...

LostKey (formerly known as Speakeasy)
    "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" Bob Marley

Images

148 days and counting. I'll be in the Smokies this weekend for a 3 day hike then I'm going to do my last section hike from Sam's Gap, NC to Dennis Cove, TN the week after Xmas.

All my equipment is purchased, tested and used frequently. All my magazine subsciptions are expiring. The last day at work is March 31st, 2010. That gives me about 3 weeks to pack up my belongings and put them in storage and say goodbye to Moncks Corner, SC because, after the thru-hike I ain't acommin' back!

Of course where exactly I will be going after the hike is yet to be determined.

Excited? You better believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by coheterojo View Post
    148 days and counting. I'll be in the Smokies this weekend for a 3 day hike then I'm going to do my last section hike from Sam's Gap, NC to Dennis Cove, TN the week after Xmas.

All my equipment is purchased, tested and used frequently. All my magazine subsciptions are expiring. The last day at work is March 31st, 2010. That gives me about 3 weeks to pack up my belongings and put them in storage and say goodbye to Moncks Corner, SC because, after the thru-hike I ain't acommin' back!

Of course where exactly I will be going after the hike is yet to be determined.

Excited? You better believe it.

Wow... big changes ahead! How exciting!

I can't wait to get out there. I don't know how to explain it but I feel as if my life doesn't start untill I'm standing on springer.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWalker View Post
    I can't wait to get out there. I don't know how to explain it but I feel as if my life doesn't start untill I'm standing on springer.
    I know EXACTLY what you mean...

Images

Good luck 2010'ers! Wish I could join you, but alas, my time will come.... Hope all you section hikers are planning good trips for the spring! Hope to see some of you out there this comming season!
    -El Duderino
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hi everyone
    I am also getting very excited about this nobo starting around mid March, just applied and paid for my visa to the USA today should have it in a week or so then off to book my flights. Its a long way from West Australia to Atlanta. I will not be rely on any parcels etc at post offices, will be purchasing my food at the towns approximately every seven to 8 days ( I think).
    I have done a few long distance hikes in Australia and am fairly fit, although the unknown will be a challenge. New Country, new food, etc etc.
    Hopefully I will meet a whole lot of other hikers and make a lot of friends on the way.
    Cheers
    gipcgirl

You will meet lots of people on the trail for sure. Most of them you will want to befriend but some you will probably want to stay away from. Im sure you have some weirdos down under as well...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStover View Post
    I know EXACTLY what you mean...
    Me too!!!!!

March is not coming fast enough! Counting down the days to giving work notice, then put everything into storage and head east. All gear is good to go and just need to figure what to do as far as online journaling to friends and family. Will probably keep it simple to Facebook and email, then do something extensive afterwards from the paper journal. Will take a big memory card as I want to take more people pictures this trip, was too heavy on scenery stuff last time.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnywalker View Post
    i Can't Wait To Get Out There. I Don't Know How To Explain It But I Feel As If My Life Doesn't Start Untill I'm Standing On Springer.

Word!!! Ditto!!

Looking forward to starting out May 1st from Springer with 10-12 other circle expedition members. We have one more practice hike the last weekend in March.
    Meanwhile, I have fifteen 2010 hopefuls coming to my home next weekend for four days of realistic preparation for their own thru-hikes.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++