WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Obese Thru-Hiking

I can't seem to find the wisdom in the advice of other's when they state that physical preparation of any kind is really not necessary for a thru-hike, one needs only to arrive at the trailhead with their "head straight", that the mental aspects of the hike far outweigh any physical advantage one may begin with, and that they will eventually just get their "trail legs". To me this flies in the face of conventional wisdom and would seem totally detrimental to arrive in such a slothful condition to begin such an arduous journey. I was wondering what are other's thoughts on this?

Images

Folks with a lot of extra pounds can and DO complete thru-hikes. It's not the best strategy to show up in terrible shape, but if you've seen the scarecrows called NOBO thru-hikers in New England, you could also appreciate that training to the point of having very little body fat at the start of a thru-hike can also be detrimental.

Personally, I'd say starting a few cheeseburgers on the heavy side is better than a few salads on the lean side. Starting with a whole cow of extra weight is NOT the best approach.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

hike as far as you can, there's only one way to find out if you should or not, that's by doing it

Images

The only way to "get in shape" for a thru hike is to hike 15 miles a day (up hill) ... might as well do the 'getting in shape' part on the trail instead of your neighborhood.

If you start the trail in decent shape, you will enjoy the hike much more. A lot of people go home the first few days and weeks because the experience is simply too hard. By being in shape, you may be able to end the day with a smile, not a grimace.

OTOH, many hikers don't spend a lot of time preparing for their hikes. Most go home, but a few have the stubbornness to keep going, despite the pain.

I have always trained before starting a long hike. I walk every day. At least once a week I do a long hike. I eat well and try to lose some weight before I go. I think it has made a big difference in my enjoyment of the experience. Yes, it still takes a while before I am comfortable doing big miles, but not that long. I figure if I can backpack 15 miles a day before the hike starts, I'll make it. And I do.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

I agree with everything stated so far. The Ladies tend to tone up on a thru and look better, while the guys tend to whither away and be fairly gaunt in the second half...at least in our experience. If you hit the trail heavy, just take your time and in a few weeks you'll start to be more comfortable. The constant exercise will take the pounds off. Just expect a hard time in the beginning.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    To me this flies in the face of conventional wisdom and would seem totally detrimental to arrive in such a slothful condition to begin such an arduous journey.
    Hiking the AT doesn't have to be an arduous journey unless you make it that way. Its just walking. It isn't climbing Denali or something crazy like that. There are plenty of camping spots, regular water, towns every few days. It may be hard by scared townie standards, but in the realm of outdoor activities hiking on the AT is a cakewalk.

Even the most athletic person can make a thru hike miserable by overdoing it by their own standards.

I did absolutely no training whatsoever for my hike. In fact, the last 2 weeks before I left I did even less activity-wise than usual, and I drank all the beer and ate all the desserts that I wanted. I live in Indiana, so it's pancake flat here and there's nowhere to hike.

I was not painful at all in the beginning. The pain did not come until I tried to do too many 20's in a row, in SNP through PA. I am just not built for that sort of thing.

That said, I was very very tired the first few weeks, but it was mitigated by taking some zero days every so often in the beginning, anyway. Actually I was pretty much exhausted-feeling the whole trip, so I don't think that training to begin with would help.

In the end unless you are really wanting to do the 'big miles' straight-away, I see nothing wrong with not training to begin with.

DapperD:

Obviously, for all sorts of reasons, it helps if you're in good shape when you start your trip, and obviously, for those planning a long hike or a thru-hike, instead of adopting the attitude "The Trail will whip me into shape in a few weeks!", well it obviously makes more sense if you're reasonably fit at the outset.

So I don't think anyone is saying your physical shape at the outset isn't a factor.

Of course it is.

But the mental factor is also really important.

I've seen all sorts of folks who were in GREAT shape.....they were healthy, fit, ran marathons, bicycled, swam, you name it. But they weren't happy on the Trail and they quit in short order. On the otherhand, I've seen all sorts of folks who weren't athletes at all, and were in so-so shape to start, yet they persevered and stuck it out thru the tought times. They got in better shape, they tweaked their packs, they stuck it out thru tough terrain and bad weather. And they were still out there long after the "athletes" had quit and gone home.

Being in good shape at the start is a great help, but being (or becoming) mentally tough is just as important. You can be a former decathalete. But if your head ain't right out there, you are going home.

Images

Kinda like life, isn't it?

Starting in decent shape is also about much more than just extra pounds. When you're muscles, tendons, and even bones are used to exercise you're much less likely to have injuries or issues with them -- like shin splints for example.

Again, poundage aside, a couch potato - no matter how mentally tough - stands a greater chance of these sorts of injuries.

your not you're (no edit)

Images

Just take it easy and go slow for the first few weeks. Not a big deal.

If you really want to prep for the hike, hike trails around home for a few months prior to the trip. Of course, if you are thinking of doing the trail, gotta figure you like to walk in the first place .

Given the right attitude and/or determination and barring any serious physical ailment anyone could complete the trail. Most that quit do so because of boredom, but they'll tell you any another excuse, such as injury, money...if the true reason so many get off were for injury, money or whatever, then the drop off rate wouldn't be so big in the beginning.

However, I do believe it's best to do some physical preparation, but not so much as cardio conditioning, rather impact/weight training because hiking is not a low-impact activity. And of course any hiking you can get in before a thru is a good thing. I also walked barefoot of pavement to toughen up my feet, so blisters was one less pain to work through during my hike.

I also believe you shouldn't look so much at physical preparation for a thru-hike. More or less use your hike as a total body transformation, a new start to be continued after your hike – sort of like a jumpstart to a new life style. Not many do that, that's why so many overweight hikers out there, which I kind of find baffling.

It is amazing how many "plus sized" hikers one sees on the trail down south, but I guess thats the average american these days. Don't see too many up north here, unless thier weekenders. I supose you either get fit or go home.

Men seem to shed the pounds a lot quicker than woman for some reason, much to the fustration of the ladies.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

Men seem to shed the pounds a lot quicker than woman for some reason, much to the fustration of the ladies.
    But don't they get some legs.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    But don't they get some legs.
    Legs only another hiker can love
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    The only way to "get in shape" for a thru hike is to hike 15 miles a day (up hill) ... might as well do the 'getting in shape' part on the trail instead of your neighborhood.
    That is simply not true. A broad all-inclusive fitness like that produced by a program like www.crossfit.com equips you for LIFE, not just thru-hiking. A person who can leap flatfooted onto a 30in tall table, run a mile under 7:00, and load 2X bodyweight on a barbell and deadlift it or squat deep with said barbell on their back won't have any problem thru-hiking...or much else short of BUDS, SFAS or the NFL.

In 2005 I arrived at Springer in a slothful condition.. I was technically obese (about 20% over "ideal body weight") and the only physical preparation I had was falling down the stairs in my own house.. I started out really slow and was in EXTREME pain much of the time for about the first 400 miles.. About the time I got to Harpers Ferry I think I had gotten my trail legs.. Yes you can get to into shape on the trail, but the pain takes away from the enjoyment.

I did learn to take massive doses of Ibuprophren but I still am not sure of the consequences of this.

Looking back on it I wish I had gotten into better shape before I started the trail. I would have enjoyed it more.

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

Since I've gotten out of the Marines 6 years ago, I've put on a bit of weight...ok, more than a bit. I've recently started an exercise routine to take some of that weight back off before I start out on the trail in a year or two.

My reasons for exercising ahead of time is simple. If I can manage to take off 40 pounds before I leave and I take a 35-40 pound pack with me...I'll be hauling the same weight uphill WITH a pack that I am now without one. So, in essence, I'll be slackpacking the entire trail.
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++