WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Very odd that after all these years of using Gore Tex footwear, that my feet have never gotten wet, go figure.
    Currently: Asolo's Fugitive GTX (yes with Gore Tex liner).
    Partially agree! I use the Fugitive as my winter boot and the FSN 95's as my 3 season boot, both gtx. Perfect? Heck no. In the old days you had your leather/nylon hiking boots that let in water like a mesh seive, and so any amount of water would get in, and I'm talking about shallow creek crossings, deep puddles, etc. With the old style hiking boots(Nike Ascents/Nike Approach, etc etc)you'd get wet quick and learned to live with it.

But the Asolos and other gtx boots will keep this from happening, you can cross submerged to about 4 or 5 inches and not get wet socks, just cuz of the goretex. Thing is, if you stand in water or walk all day in wet snow no boot will keep your feet and socks dry except possibly the Sorel type pak-boots, but they're clunkers and aren't so easy to backpack in for many miles.

And no gtx boot will keep water from drippng down your legs and into the boots. I've found walking in wet deep snow to be a failing test for the goretex brand, it just won't keep out the water after about 3 or 4 hours. Maybe gaiters would help, hain't ever tried 'em as they seem a frill.

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Very odd that after all these years of using Gore Tex footwear, that my feet have never gotten wet, go figure.
    Currently: Asolo's Fugitive GTX (yes with Gore Tex liner).
    Yes, very odd indeed. Just curious- were your boots used on section hikes or in a thru-hike capacity? What was the longest duration these boots were used in total wet conditions? Do tell.

GA --ME; and then some... Okie Dokie's Avatar

My experience with Gore-Tex in footwear has been positive...over 8,000 miles backpacking, plus walking an average of at least 3 miles daily outside in all kinds of weather doing my job for the last 16 years...if the water, in whatever form -creek, puddle, ditch - wasn't as high as my boot tops my feet stayed as dry as my perspiring feet would let them...

The one item I absolutely would not compromise on as far is Gore-Tex is concerned is the outer shell of my sleeping bag...carried a Marmot Nighthawk sleeping bag on my thru - 2.5 pounds of wonderful down, 30 degree rating, Gore-Tex outer shell - and have always thought of it as one of the top three investments I've ever made...have hunkered down in it in a rock crevice during an 80 mile-per-hour wind/rain storm in the White Mountains and watched it turn water like a duck's back while I ate peanut M&Ms...

Gore-Tex is a good product...it simply will not breathe as well as it repels...I've seen no products that will...once you really get a handle on what it can, and can't, do for you you can truly put it to work for your benefit...
    We shout out "I exist!", and it stirs not the slightest sense of obligation from the universe...

I think anyone can get one or two, even three nice experiences with Gore-tex.

It doesn't hold up for someone that gets out there a lot more than that.

The people who seem happy with Gore-tex in their hikers shoes or boots never got in water over their shoe or boot tops.

That is "light-duty" for hiking.

I have walking shoes that can do all that. I have DWR bead up water and rub off.

I am happy that Gore-tex brought hiking to the mainstream.

I still think it is only a fashion garment and "merchandising".

I think people should be warned against it: you get wet and cold, you are going to stay wet and cold unless the Sun comes out and they can dry out all their clothing, inside and out. If you are out for 4-6 days, or longer, the trip or vacation of a lifetime is over. If you are on a thru-hike, it is over unless you are re-supplied.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jayboflavin04 View Post
    Thinking bout going on a trip in a couple weeks. When do you folks switch from a non-waterprook trail runner. To a gortex type boot?
    The difference between goretex and non goretex is like the difference between sprinkling and dunking. How wet do you want to get when you are out on a hike? The probability of getting wet feet with non goretex shoes is higher than goretex. Anyone with enough hiking experience must deal with wet feet at some point, with or without goretex. A good packtowel can be used to help dry out alot of the moisture inside the shoe. To each their own, experience will teach you your preference.
    Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee. Gen 13:17

If you want dry feet, use a boot with an all leather upper. Some are sold as "waterproof leather" boots, but will need to be resealed (or "greased") periodically.
    Ironically, oil based leather boot sealants contaminate Gore-tex and make it leak, so if you have a Gore-tex liner use something specified for use with the same. I don't use leather boots as a rule anymore. I use breathable trail runners and wear waterproof socks inside them, even in weather down to the 20s (sometimes teens).
    Completely waterproof footwear is hardly breathable. I'm a sweaty foot person and my feet have always been hot in Gore-tex. For some reason I haven't felt the same heat in a well waterproofed leather boot (maybe because my most recent Gore-tex boots are also well padded with foam - a good insulator). My Columbia Gore-tex boots began leaking shortly after I finished the Georgia section of the AT in 2006. They were 4 months old. I still wear them in cold weather because they're comfortable, but the Gore-tex has been contaminated by sweat or has rubbed through or torn.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I think anyone can get one or two, even three nice experiences with Gore-tex.

It doesn't hold up for someone that gets out there a lot more than that.

The people who seem happy with Gore-tex in their hikers shoes or boots never got in water over their shoe or boot tops.

That is "light-duty" for hiking.

I have walking shoes that can do all that. I have DWR bead up water and rub off.

I am happy that Gore-tex brought hiking to the mainstream.

I still think it is only a fashion garment and "merchandising".

I think people should be warned against it: you get wet and cold, you are going to stay wet and cold unless the Sun comes out and they can dry out all their clothing, inside and out. If you are out for 4-6 days, or longer, the trip or vacation of a lifetime is over. If you are on a thru-hike, it is over unless you are re-supplied.
    You have some strange remarks:
    "It doesn't hold up for someone that gets out there a lot more than that."
    ** Well, you've just discounted Okie Dokie and his "over 8,000 miles backpacking" in gtx.
    ** Or Dooglas saying "Non goretex boots are useless," or "never get soaked thru."
    ** Or Winger's "my feet have never gotten wet."

Or this jewel: "The people that seem happy with goretex in their hiking shoes or boots never got in water over their shoe or boot tops."
    ** What the heck, are you talking about crossing a knee deep creek and expecting your boots to keep your feet dry? There's a reason we carry Crocs.

And your last comment about getting wet and cold: "people should be warned against it: you get wet and cold, you are going to stay wet and cold unless the Sun comes out and . . . can dry out clothing, inside and out."
    ** Say what? Is your pack so incredibly light that you don't carry in-camp dry clothing and use the wet stuff for hiking only? You will stay warm in a wet t-shirt under a wet gtx rain jacket while backpacking. And anybody with sense always keeps a whole set of dry clothing for camp and sleeping.

And your last blurb: "If you are out for 4-6 days, or longer, the trip or vacation of a lifetime is over. If you are on a thruhike, it is over unless you are re-supplied."
    ** Maybe for you, the rest of us hike wet, camp dry. Only a newb would let all their clothing get wet, and only a newb would depend and rely on goretex to keep them dry nomatter what.

** And what everyone seems to forget, even soaked and / or frozen gtx boots will eventually dry, just hike in the things and forget about it. On my last 23 day trip, I went thru a whole series of wash and rinse cycles, 3 days with wet boots and socks, 5 days when they were dry, 2 more days of wet, 8 days of dry. It's called "Backpacking". Out for 4-6 days or longer and the trip is over? Uh, maybe not.

Images

NEVER, unless you enjoy having water trapped inside your shoe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++