WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Images

I agree with most of what has already been said. They skipped HUGE sections though. Didn't mention anything about MD, PA, or NJ, skipped from Harper's Ferry to Bear Mt., flew over the Whites and briefly mentioned Mt. Washington, so they skipped from Bear Mt, overlooked CT, Mass, VT, most of NH except for 5 seconds of Mt. Washington, then went right to Katahdin.

There was definitely too much about ticks, DDT, pollution.. that stuff is important and part of the trail, but they just spent too much time on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleodeon View Post
    I agree with most of what has already been said. They skipped HUGE sections though. Didn't mention anything about MD, PA, or NJ, skipped from Harper's Ferry to Bear Mt., flew over the Whites and briefly mentioned Mt. Washington, so they skipped from Bear Mt, overlooked CT, Mass, VT, most of NH except for 5 seconds of Mt. Washington, then went right to Katahdin.

There was definitely too much about ticks, DDT, pollution.. that stuff is important and part of the trail, but they just spent too much time on it.
    I thought the part about rattlesnakes was in PA.

Images

I liked all of it, except for the system administrator dude, he was just annoying.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Rumor has it that it will be shown at the Southern Ruck. But with possible legalities and all, it's just a rumor.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    maybe it will come on a reg TV channel so I can watch it oneday

They often put their shows on DVD, so watch for that.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

i would of liked to have seen at least a two part series, a few mistakes on information but i enjoyed the film. very good camera work. the fly bys were great! the virginia highlands were longer than i remember

Default Yikes!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    If anybody wants to donate a Camcorder able to record HD, I'll happily do a documentary about the hikers over the course of the next year. With voiceovers akin to James Earl Jones... or... Tay Zonday.
    NatGeo missed it completely........the problem is Chocolate Rain!!!!

Too funny.

I watched it and liked it. I wasn't expecting a thorough documentary so I wasn't too disappointed. It was cool to see people that I've either met or know through reading various trailjournals. My gf who only partially understands my desire to do this was 100% encouraging me to do it by the end of the show.

Images

It was amazing to me to be able to see the Trail from the aircrafts view. In some places it looked like a very open path among the trees. Most of the time when I hike I'm under the canopy and can't always see much of the sky. Of
    course I'm usually checking the dirt in front of me.

a.k.a "the vagabond" Diamond Diggs's Avatar
    Images

I thought it was very good for what it was. The airial shots were great! I did notice they skipped alot of the trail, but did not expect it to be real thorough, considering it was only an hour in length. There are several thru-hikers docs. out there, and I enjoyed the other aspects of the trail that were mentioned such as the wildlife and pollution.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    Meh. Too much focus on Acid Rain and Rachel Carsonism. Screw soft egg shells, bring back DDT and crush the skeeters once n for all.
    Sorry. DDT can't crush the skeeters once n for all. It can, however, do a lot of damage to many creatures -- including possibly humans. Scientists who study the issue have shown that over use of pesticides simply disrupts the natural order. Skeeters -- even black flies -- almost disappear for a few weeks, a few months, or a few years. And then return in greater numbers than ever. Why? Scientists theorize that the chemicals kill the natural prey that eat mosquitoes, allowing the villains to return in unnaturally greater numbers.

Weary

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    ....And we found the DDT/Acid rain stuff to be preachy crap. But we expected it of NatGeo. It's why we dropped the magazine subscription. .....
    What could NG have possibly been thinking -- giving us information they know we'd rather not hear? No wonder the organization is in trouble.

Weary

I really liked the NG show.. I did not realize that the Rattler was the hikers' friend when it comes to Lyme disease. The photography was well done and I saw some views that I missed on Blood Mountain and K because of bad weather... I noticed all those dead trees around Clingmans Dome.. Did they die because of acid rain or beetles??

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    And we found the DDT/Acid rain stuff to be preachy crap. But we expected it of NatGeo. It's why we dropped the magazine subscription.
    If you expected it, why did you subscribe in the 1st place?

Anyway, on the radio, just today, I heard, the state bird of Louisiana, the brown pelican, was finally removed from the endangered species list. The use of DDT brought it near extinction. Something to consider next time you hear NG preaching crap ...

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    . I noticed all those dead trees around Clingmans Dome.. Did they die because of acid rain or beetles??
    Probably both, and judging by some comments here, apathy.

Images

That closeup shot of the cluster of baby ticks was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. A real horror show.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Default Mixed feelings

I think the photography--especially the numerous aerial shots--were absolutely stunning. I would really love to see this in an Imax Theatre if the technology used would support that.

We all can think of lots of stuff they left out tho. All in all, a pretty positive, powerful statement in support of the AT in general. But not what I was hoping for.

They only had 45-50 minutes of real airtime. That's the real bitch here. They should have had more. I'm thinking this was edited down from a lot more footage, the editors being rushed by powers-that-be. Even the script (narration) seemed like a first draft, sort of disjointed and a bit unpolished.

Glad I DVR'd it. After seeing it, I wouldn't be inclined to pay for a DVD, and if I bought one without first seeing it or hearing about it would have felt a bit ripped off. But I'm glad even this short film was made and received prime time placement.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Every hiker is a section hiker. Some just do all sections in a year and some spread them out over several years.
    Did you read the whole post? It says, JUST KIDDIN!

I was happy with the show. Really didnt want to see Claus, he was a jerk to alot of people last year. Like I said, the aerials were cool. Really good seeing Bulldawg represeting the south so well!!!We had a great gathering here in Asheville.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Sorry. DDT can't crush the skeeters once n for all. It can, however, do a lot of damage to many creatures -- including possibly humans. Scientists who study the issue have shown that over use of pesticides simply disrupts the natural order. Skeeters -- even black flies -- almost disappear for a few weeks, a few months, or a few years. And then return in greater numbers than ever. Why? Scientists theorize that the chemicals kill the natural prey that eat mosquitoes, allowing the villains to return in unnaturally greater numbers.

Weary

Gosh, that'll be a comfort to the Africans who are dying of malaria in droves after DDT was outlawed. The whack jobs said give them nets and all will be well. Right. Who lives under a freaking net 24 hours a day???? I think they'd take DDT back in a heartbeat! And I use 100% DEET when I'm out. Afraid of what it MIGHT do to me? Nope. Afraid of Nile disease and whatever else the skeeters and other biters carry? You bet.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    ....I noticed all those dead trees around Clingmans Dome.. Did they die because of acid rain or beetles??
    Well, these tjhings are under continuous scientific investigation, but the evidence so far, seems to suggest both.

The trees, weakened by the beetles, were finally killed by acid rain. That is my understanding of the most likely cause, on the basis of things I've learned over these many decades.

Weary

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++