WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Blackberry on the trail

OK, I carry my blackberry on the trail. I leave it off and just check in with the wife about twice a day. I have a question some of you might know the answer to. Is there a way to stop the dern thing from picking up emails when I turn it on? I only want to turn it on, call in, then turn it off. All the emails burns up the battery fast.

Go to:
    Options
    Mobile Network
    Data Services - Off
    Adventure is the invitation to the common person, to become uncommon. ~ wm
    Bivouac is a French word for "mistake". ~ Ed Viesturs

Seriously? It's gotta be a generation thing.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by makoboy View Post
    Go to:
    Options
    Mobile Network
    Data Services - Off

Too freaking easy!! Thanks!!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Seriously? It's gotta be a generation thing.
    It sure is a generation thing. Youth today communicate by texting, my teenage daughter does 5,000 texts a month. Good thing we have the unlimited plan!

I just finished a section hike going NB and passed several SB thruhikers, all college aged. The second one I met knew my name before I even got a chance say hi, seems the first thruhiker texted him and told him he'd probably be passing me soon. On several occasions over the week I met more hikers who were in communications with each other over a 3 state area! I had never seen this before but it seemed perfectly logical.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    It sure is a generation thing. Youth today communicate by texting, my teenage daughter does 5,000 texts a month. Good thing we have the unlimited plan!

I just finished a section hike going NB and passed several SB thruhikers, all college aged. The second one I met knew my name before I even got a chance say hi, seems the first thruhiker texted him and told him he'd probably be passing me soon. On several occasions over the week I met more hikers who were in communications with each other over a 3 state area! I had never seen this before but it seemed perfectly logical.

I only carry mine to communicate back home a couple of times a day. The wife feels much better if she knows sort of where I am at and that I am OK.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I call home every evening for the same reason, keeps everyone home from worrying.

I'd much rather have someone texting at a shelter that talking. Also there are times when a text will get out on a weak signal that would make talking impossible.

Images

Default blackberry

i thought the thread was about brandy
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    I only carry mine to communicate back home a couple of times a day. The wife feels much better if she knows sort of where I am at and that I am OK.
    If I'm section hiking for a few days, I tell my wife I'll call her when I get off the trail. If I get signal, I might call one night, but usually not.
    It's a great day to be alive !

As long as you keep that blackberry (or as I say: a "crackberry") away from others, then most folks are fine. When someone brings those dang things into shelters or texts around others, then thats a problem.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

I always find blueberries above tree line in Maine/NH. . . blackberries and raspberries in Vermont. . .

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    As long as you keep that blackberry (or as I say: a "crackberry") away from others, then most folks are fine. When someone brings those dang things into shelters or texts around others, then thats a problem.

Are you telling me what I can or cant do on the public trail? Why do you have to assume I am going to be in your face with my one or two phone calls per day?

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

and remember that text sometimes gets the message out when not enough signal for voice
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Are you kidding. I would much rather share a shelter with a hiker that is minding their own business and quietly texting away, or typing in their notes for the day or reading an ebook (how would you know what exactly they were doing unless you're not MYOB) than some jackass who yammering on about their latest 20 mile day or what kind of gear they have or what trail is the best.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Are you telling me what I can or cant do on the public trail? Why do you have to assume I am going to be in your face with my one or two phone calls per day?
    Sure, text away, its a free country and its a national scenic trail, so, why not? But I do assume you or anyone else will use their cell phone around me and not realize it. As an American your entitled. And, as for folks texting at shelters, I spent most of July in Vermont on the AT, didn't see one person texting at a shelter, but then again, I only stayed one night at a shelter and everyone was just hanging out enjoying their hike.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Are you kidding. I would much rather share a shelter with a hiker that is minding their own business and quietly texting away, or typing in their notes for the day or reading an ebook (how would you know what exactly they were doing unless you're not MYOB) than some jackass who yammering on about their latest 20 mile day or what kind of gear they have or what trail is the best.
    Ahhh yes, how soon I forget...after a long day of hiking the AT, all I really want to do is stay at a shelter and enjoy watching someone move their thumbs and fingers all night texting away obsessed with their crackberry (and sometimes laughting at the text, hey, good times hearing someone do that). I agree with you but take a different opinion, as a jackass is a jackass, regardless if they are texting or talking about their sore feet all dang night.

Leave it home and call from town.
    I don't understand the thought process of hikers spending large amounts of money to save 4oz. on their sleeping bag, 12oz. on their clothing, 12oz. on their tent, 10oz. on their mat and 20oz. on their pack and then carry cell phones, GPS, Blackberry's, etc. and complain about others pack weight. If it makes you more comfortable then by all means take it and hyoh but don't push it on others. I do like camping near shelters because of the social aspect but I have to aadmit, texting annoys me...don't know why, it just does. Sorry for the rant.

geek

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Seems like some people have very little tolerance for what others do. It might be polite to talk or text away from others but if you don't like it you can walk away. I've tolerated much worse on the trail without complaining, if I don't like what's going on I move on. It's no big deal to walk another mile down the trail and pitch my tent somewhere else.

Images

Exclamation Warning

I have this little charger with a usb jack that I used on my Motorola phones. I figured it should be good for my BBerry. From 2 AA batts I get about 35% overnight so I leave it hooked up all day too. LSS; Bberry is dead, battery is ruined and I'm happy I have friends along who let me text to my wife all is well. In the end you can pick up a spare battery on eBay for $10 and take it with you... the charger is made by eveready and if you got a moto it's fine but if you have a BB with work files and data on it.... better beware
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

Ahhh yes, how soon I forget...after a long day of hiking the AT, all I really want to do is stay at a shelter and enjoy watching someone move their thumbs and fingers all night texting away obsessed with their crackberry (and sometimes laughting at the text, hey, good times hearing someone do that). I agree with you but take a different opinion, as a jackass is a jackass, regardless if they are texting or talking about their sore feet all dang night.
    Why does it bother you so much? Just curious to how something silent and harmless could make someone a jackass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++