WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Best ever: Falling Waters Trail, Franconia Ridge, Bridle Path. Eight miles, half of them above above tree line, about six thousand feet of elevation change. An incredible day trip if you can hack it.

Here's a nice list of side trails in the Nantahalas:

http://www.maconcommunity.org/nhc/sides.html

Journal Entries
    Images

What alternate routes are "better" than the AT?
    The AT skirts the side of Mount Monroe and Eisenhower, going over them might be "better". But not much, you are above treeline either way.

But just north of Carter Notch Hut the AT also bypasses the Summit of Mount Height, I think. The trail over the top of that mountain affords a GREAT view, by any standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
    where it picks up the Long Trail at the Long Trail Inn. Best Guinness on the trail or at least on what used to be the trail. Trail then climbs up Pico and accross to Killington Summit.
    My recently-completed end-to-end hike of the Long Trail was technically a blue blaze because I took the old AT/LT. And I was upfront about it when I submitted my paperwork to the GMC. Still awaiting the certificate....

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    My recently-completed end-to-end hike of the Long Trail was technically a blue blaze because I took the old AT/LT. And I was upfront about it when I submitted my paperwork to the GMC. Still awaiting the certificate....
    we took the old AT/LT down to the Inn at the Long Trail. you'd be a fool not to. also took many other blue-blaze ways on the LT. the GMC can keep their certificates

Did anyone mention the Tuscarora Trail which, until the completion of the BMT (the trail, not the NYC subway line), may have been the longest blue-blazed loop. It runs 240 miles from the northern district of Shenandoah NP to Cove Mountain shortly before Duncannon. Downsides: some road walking, you miss Harpers Ferry and the half-gallon challenge. Upside: much less crowded and better still, more remote i.e. not as much towns, houses, sprawl. Also on the ridgelines, water can be scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    we took the old AT/LT down to the Inn at the Long Trail. you'd be a fool not to. also took many other blue-blaze ways on the LT. the GMC can keep their certificates
    Agree of course - that's why I did it. And I really enjoyed the view down from the Pico ski area where I could see the Inn right in the middle of Sherburne Pass with the mts behind it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    we took the old AT/LT down to the Inn at the Long Trail. you'd be a fool not to.

How so? Wouldn't it be just as cool to follow the AT then walk to the Long Trail Inn down a 1/4" mile side trail (the Old AT). Or is that route not direct enough?

You did take the blue blaze to Deer Leap that overlooks the Inn, correct?

One really nice blue blaze is the short (~1mile) section that goes OVER Wilburn Ridge in Mount Rogers NRA. The AT skirts the ridge, which is rocky and would be somewhat cumbersome with a heavy pack. But if you are comfortable scrambling with your pack, there are some great views from the top of the rocky cliffs that you don't get by taking the AT. (This section of the AT has nice views, just not as nice as the Ridge trail.)

Also, NOBOers could take the Pine Mountain Trail at the junction with the AT at Rhododendron Gap, and get closer to the Old Orchard Shelter. This is scenic, also, but make sure to scramble to the top on some of the rocky areas for better views.

That said, the section along Wilburn Ridge is more scenic option.
    I walk the line.

Images

I was just wondering where some of the better "less populated" swimming holes up north were. And if anyone knows where theres some cliff diving/jumping.

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

Default Anthony's Nose in NY gets my vote

Going northbound after crossing the Bear Mountain Bridge. There is a blue blaze that goes off to the right (south) to the summit of Anthony's Nose. The view of the Hudson Valley from here is phenomenal. If you are going southbound from Anthony's Nose you can just scamper down an unmaintained trail down the rocks right to the bridge. At one time that was the route of the AT, but with icy ledges the rock surfaces were too dangerous so they rerouted the trail off Anthony's Nose to its mundane current route.
    Aaron

Don't forget the VA Creeper Trail nobo out of Damascus...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Does that one go up to Pico Camp? Stayed there in '06. Great site on the original AT.

Here is a picture I took in Maine off a short (straight down) blue blaze to Pierce Pond Water fall...

Rainbow refracting off the water..

The Blue Blazin Hobos used to have a website that listed various blue blaze trails. At one time, the goal was to find a way to blue blaze all the way from Springer to Katadin. They had the list sorted out by states. I sure would love to see that site back online again. Anyone know who has all that info, and how we can get it back online??

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    The Blue Blazin Hobos used to have a website that listed various blue blaze trails. At one time, the goal was to find a way to blue blaze all the way from Springer to Katadin. They had the list sorted out by states. I sure would love to see that site back online again. Anyone know who has all that info, and how we can get it back online??
    sawman does. it won't be back online

Here's a good one. Jump off the AT onto the Chunky Gal Trail and take it 22 miles to the summit of Tusquitte Bald. Jump on the Fires Creek Rim Trail and follow it two miles to County Corners. Jump of there and follow the Apple Tree Campground Trails to the NC Bartram Trail. From there, you can follow the Bartram to Cheoah Bald.

You might not see another hiker the whole way, but you'll traverse some amazing roadless areas containing abundant wildlife.

You can order the trail guides here.

Gulf Hagus

geek

Images

Wink Inn at Long Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Awesome Food ,Awesome Guinness, nice rooms

blue blaze off to the inn and blue blaze back on Easy peasey chicken geesey
    if your a good yogi , you might get dinner and a beer

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Roan High Bluff
    Grassy Ridge
    Elk River Big Falls
    Laurel Fork Trail
    USFS 230 (yes...a forest road)
    Red Fork Falls
    Upper Jones Branch Falls (located on old AT off of Campbell Hollow Road)
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++