WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Foothills Trail

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Foothills Trail

I can get away for a hike this weekend and was thinking about checking out the Foothills Trail. I don't have enough time to hike it all so I'm considering an out-and-back hike, starting at Oconee State Park (starting at Table Rock going west looks like straight up for 10 miles).

So, for anyone that has hiked this trail: Would starting at Oconee State Park, hiking in 15 miles and then hiking back out 15 miles be a worthwhile experience - or should I head up to TN/NC and hike a section of the AT I've already hiked a few times...
    Last edited by 10-K; 11-03-2009 at 08:53. Reason: change east to west...

Go hike the Mountains to Sea Trail.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Images

The stretch you mention is probably the least scenic of the entire trail. I'd recommend doing a different section.

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

I would include the section along the Chattooga River. By the way, the weather forcast looks great for this weekeknd, you lucky dog!

If I didn't have plans for this weekend I would be out there too.

Have a great trip and post some photos of it here on WB when you get back.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

do the chattooga river trail instead. that section isnt as scenic
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I'd have to agree that that part is less scenic. The foothills trail is a definetly a winter trail.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Thanks - nothing like first hand information. ;-) I might save the FHT for a time when I can hike it end-to-end. I've got the guide book and map and every trip report I've read has raved about the trail so it's definitely on my short list.

Images

The Jocasse gorges is a nice section of the foothills trail. There is good safe parking at the duke energy plant at bad creek. There's several nice waterfalls and beautiful rivers that you will cross. I enjoyed my out and back there last spring, water was good and the trail was mostly moderate and well maintained.

Starting at Oconee until you get to the river is not scenic. The river section is. If the water is up even more so...if you like hiking beside fast water.
    For a weekend in and out hike start at Burrell's Ford. Hike downstream to Simm's Field. Hike back. All of it is not right on the river but a lot of it is.
    Mostly easy to moderate. Don't have my guide to referance but I think thats 8-10 miles one way.
    For 4 or 5 miles one way start at Burrell's Ford and Hike upstream. Park at the information Koisk on the right just before you get to the river bridge on Burrell's Ford Road. Just follow the trail along the river. Easy
    Weekends are crowded as these sections are easily accessed. During the week you'll mostly have it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    Starting at Oconee until you get to the river is not scenic. The river section is. If the water is up even more so...if you like hiking beside fast water.
    For a weekend in and out hike start at Burrell's Ford. Hike downstream to Simm's Field. Hike back. All of it is not right on the river but a lot of it is.
    Mostly easy to moderate. Don't have my guide to referance but I think thats 8-10 miles one way.
    For 4 or 5 miles one way start at Burrell's Ford and Hike upstream. Park at the information Koisk on the right just before you get to the river bridge on Burrell's Ford Road. Just follow the trail along the river. Easy
    Weekends are crowded as these sections are easily accessed. During the week you'll mostly have it to yourself.

id start at burrells ford to, but i would head north toward and past ellicot rock. less people, beautiful scenery, even more water.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    id start at burrells ford to, but i would head north toward and past ellicot rock. less people, beautiful scenery, even more water.

I believe you know the area well from some of your past post.
    How far upstream past Ellicot's Rock can you get and is it a bushwack past the Fork Mountain Trail junction? I've hiked the FMT From 107 to the river a few times but never tried upstream from where it strikes the river.

Lots of good possible end to end and loop hikes along the Chatooga River or from Ceasar's Head SP out to Oconee SP. Browse the Hiking South Carolina book. It has a lot of trails w/ detailed maps and trail descriptions for quick reference in this area of northern S. Car.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I can get away for a hike this weekend and was thinking about checking out the Foothills Trail. I don't have enough time to hike it all so I'm considering an out-and-back hike, starting at Oconee State Park (starting at Table Rock going west looks like straight up for 10 miles).

So, for anyone that has hiked this trail: Would starting at Oconee State Park, hiking in 15 miles and then hiking back out 15 miles be a worthwhile experience - or should I head up to TN/NC and hike a section of the AT I've already hiked a few times...
    There are so many options open to you! Great question.
    I'd save the Foothills for when you have time to do the whole thing (it's only 77 miles)
    Take a look at the Shining Rock Wilderness, Middle Prong Wilderness, Mountains to Sea Trail, Art Loeb Trail, Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock & Citico Creek Wildernesses or any number of the trails in Great Smoky Mountains Nat. Park.
    If you do decide to hike on the Foothills...The Chatooga section and the old growth hemlock forest section around 107 are nice. Whitewater Falls and Jocasee are sweet. I see folks have already mentioned "the good stuff"...it's a really pretty, well maintained trail.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    I believe you know the area well from some of your past post.
    How far upstream past Ellicot's Rock can you get and is it a bushwack past the Fork Mountain Trail junction? I've hiked the FMT From 107 to the river a few times but never tried upstream from where it strikes the river.
    yea ive done the foothills trail 4 times and the chattooga trail at least a dozen. honestly though, i cant remember mileage without my log book in front of me....its been over 6 years since ive been back to that area.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Default foothills trail

Quote from solemates:
    The foothills trail is a definetly a winter trail.

What makes you say this? I was thinking about a winter thru in DEC.
    Schnikel

Quote Originally Posted by schnikel View Post
    Quote from solemates:
    The foothills trail is a definetly a winter trail.

What makes you say this? I was thinking about a winter thru in DEC.
    Schnikel
    well, i guess i meant a winter, fall or spring.

just dont hike in the summer...its too hot

amongnature.blogspot.com

What would be average temps and weather on the trail in mid december?
    Schnikel

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

I camped at Simm's Field along the Chattooga last December and it got down to the upper teens. Those narrow valleys the river runs through sometimes get pretty cold in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by schnikel View Post
    What would be average temps and weather on the trail in mid december?
    Schnikel
    december is so iffy in the south. it could be sunny and 70 during the day or it could be rainy and 40. at nights it could be mild and 50 or it could be in the teens and frost. be prepared for these weather conditions - either way it will not be that cold.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Default Just GO!!!

I'd start on the Chattooga Trail at 76 bridge and head north to Ellicot's Rock OR do the Laurel forks to Table Rock St. Park (great views in the winter) OR go from Sassafras Mt. to Caesars head St. Park only don't park at the Caesars head trail head, I hear it gets vandalized. Last you could do Oconee St. Park to Ellicot's Rock then round to the Walhalla Fish hatchery on the FHT, the section through the woods is only 6 miles or so at OSP.
    IT's supposed to be nice here next weekend just prior to a rain front so it will be warmer.
    BTW The Gorges section is a three day event if you have the time DO IT.
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++