WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just a heads up. I burned a batch of popcorn in an old MSR Sierra cookset because the edges of the bottom are lower than the middle and all the oil ended up there - made a burned mess, and the side trip off the trail to get it to share with friends was totally wasted.
    Not that you'd want anything that heavy anyway, but I thought you would like to know one of the downsides of those (heat efficient concave bottom) pots. A wide pot will capture more heat than a narrow one, and sometimes the weight isn't really that much different between (in my case) an Evernew 1.3 liter pot with handles removed (no top), at 3.5 oz. and a Snow Peak 700 ml cup (handles but no top) at 3-1/8 oz. The cup stays at home, never used. I take the big pot every time - room for lots of food without spilling while stirring, and it holds everything I need, including some small packets of food, so there's really no wasted room. For a cup I've found that old Wyler's lemonade mix containers work well.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't know if the MSR Blacklight Gourmet set is the same, Tinker. But at any rate I don't plan on doing popcorn in it. Thanks for the info though. I had been thinking Titanium, but the alum is very light also and the price was such a bargain. So I feel I am set. Thanks again, Wise Old Owl.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries
    Images

I received the MSR Blacklite Gourmet Non-Stick aluminum Cookset in the mail today. Pretty impressive. I think on a thru-hike I would only use one of the pots. Maybe the lid, butmight use foil for that. Nice set. You gotta be careful with teflon. I plan on it. But a beauty of a set. Nice bag too.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Does anybody have an update on what pot they used for the pocket rocket?

I won't be 'cookin'.... All I need to do is boil water for those small bowls of instant mac-and-cheese and oatmeal bowls.

The only container I saw was a 12 inch tall blue 'coffee kettle' in the camping section of walmart........ and at academy sports I saw a small blue metal cup....... But Im guessing I need a lid on it to boil faster.

(I have been planning to buy a JetBoil flash, but at academy that is $89, but the pocket Rocket is only $39.... So Im trying to find a small pot or whatever, thats cheap, so I can justify the cheaper pocket rocket instead of the jetboil)
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    I hear oft mention of "Walmart Grease Pot." I don't generally shop at Walmart and cannot advise from first-hand experience with this item.

Fact is you may find what you need at someplace other than REI or EMS, and it will cost a fraction of what the fancy titanium stuff goes for.

Images

Why not contact a local Scout Troop or two? They may have a smallish aluminum pot kicking around in their chuck box not being used. We always had one or two. Maybe for a $10-$15 donation to the Troop (maybe a gear trade or expertise trade of some kind), they would let you have it.

Check out the local Salvation Army, Goodwill, thrift stores as well. I've seen them there every now and then.

The OLD patrol mess kits had small pots that weren't used much. They had lids and a pour spout, plus a tab for a pot lifter.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    The OLD patrol mess kits had small pots that weren't used much. They had lids and a pour spout, plus a tab for a pot lifter.
    The Cowboy Coffeepot!! Many a Scout's life has been saved by a hot cup of coffee (it distracts the adult contemplating strangulation)...

Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I now use the GSI Soloist pot and lid. I left the rest of the items that comes with it home. I recommend it and its size for one person. This is solely based upon my very own experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post

I won't be 'cookin'.... All I need to do is boil water for those small bowls of instant mac-and-cheese and oatmeal bowls.

The only container I saw was a 12 inch tall blue 'coffee kettle' in the camping section of walmart........ and at academy sports I saw a small blue metal cup....... But Im guessing I need a lid on it to boil faster.

(I have been planning to buy a JetBoil flash, but at academy that is $89, but the pocket Rocket is only $39.... So Im trying to find a small pot or whatever, thats cheap, so I can justify the cheaper pocket rocket instead of the jetboil)
    I use these two: Total cost 16 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this for boiling water for Mountain House packages.
    Instead for $39 for the pocket rocket, get a knockoff for $6. Mine works perfectly.

Images

I have the pocket rocket and I use this: http://www.amazon.com/GSI-50139-Outd...s=gsi+halulite

It doubles as a mug so I don't have to carry one. I ditched the spoon and use a titanium one. If all you need to do is boil water this works great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++