WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Yellow Jacket
    Images

Default More SPOT abuse...

Even I was a bit angry after reading one...

From today's NPS Morning Report-

"Grand Canyon National Park (AZ)
    Hikers Evacuated After Three SPOT Activations In Three Days

On the evening of September 23rd, rangers began a search for hikers who repeatedly activated their rented SPOT satellite tracking device. The GEOS Emergency Response Center in Houston reported that someone in the group of four hikers – two men and their two teenaged sons – had pressed the “help” button on their SPOT unit. The coordinates for the signal placed the group in a remote section of the park, most likely on the challenging Royal Arch loop. Due to darkness and the remoteness of the location, rangers were unable to reach them via helicopter until the following morning. When found, they’d moved about a mile and a half to a water source. They declined rescue, as they’d activated the device due to their lack of water. Later that same evening, the same SPOT device was again activated, this time using the “911” button. Coordinates placed them less than a quarter mile from the spot where searchers had found them that morning. Once again, nightfall prevented a response by park helicopter, so an Arizona DPS helicopter whose crew utilized night vision goggles was brought in. They found that the members of the group were concerned about possible dehydration because the water they’d found tasted salty, but no actual emergency existed. The helicopter crew declined their request for a night evacuation, but provided them with water before departing. On the following morning, another SPOT “help” activation came in from the group. This time they were flown out by park helicopter. All four refused medical assessment or treatment. The group’s leader had reportedly hiked once at the Grand Canyon; the other adult had no Grand Canyon and very little backpacking experience. When asked what they would have done without the SPOT device, the leader stated, “We would have never attempted this hike.” The group leader was issued a citation for creating a hazardous condition (36 CFR 2.34(a)(4)). [Submitted by Brandon Torres, Canyon District Shift Supervisor]
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

This bunch should pay for the NH kid's 25,000.00 fine and then all would be well with me.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Look for more of these type of incidents as SPOT (and similar technology) becomes more available and affordable....
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

That's ridiculous... Stories like this really irritate me. These people really irritate me, I mean, come ON. I was going to start ranting, but that post was getting pretty long, and those "hikers" won't read it anyway.

Images

Perhaps the Spot should only be sold/rented with mandatory liability insurance to pay for the rescue or false alarms that the users initiate.

That would price to device out of reach for the incredibly stupid and pay for the increase in false rescues resulting from their use.

I don't know Ithink if there is not an emergency then the SAR folks should induce one--beat someone senseless then evacuate them nd isue citations afterwards. I agree with Mags--look for this sort fo thing more frequently.

Unfortunately as technology makes instantaneous communications easier folks are less likely to do without these sorts of devices. Heck even I have trouble walking out the door without my cell phone anymore and have actually turned the car around to go get it.

Personally I think instead of the SPOT they should rent satelite phones that only call the SAR office so they can at least attempt to assess the situation before firing up the chopper. The SPOT is great but in many cases inadequate for the general idiot on on the trail...
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Journal Entries
    Images

I think the SAR folks should release the names of all involved!!

Before the spot device is activated or rented, the user should be required to sign a form which says reascue costs will be charged if a non-life threating or non-emergency conditions are determined to exist. These costs can range from $10,000 to over $100,000.

If too many people start to use the spot device irresponsably, the usefullness of it will be diminished. The big problem with the the SPOT device is there is no way of telling why the 911 or help button was pushed until someone gets to them.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

These kinds of situations need to be avoided. A solution needs to be found. Ridiculous indeed!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post

Unfortunately as technology makes instantaneous communications easier folks are less likely to do without these sorts of devices.

It is a culture of connectivity. Not only as a culture are we expecting connectivity as much as possible..but it is assumed other people want (and have) this connectivity as well.

On hikes, group or otherwise, I tend to turn off my phone off just prior to the hike. I lead a group hike not long ago where I was taken to task because the woman was running late...and could not get a hold of me. She assumed I had a cell phone and it was on.

(I now tell people to meet at say 8:15 and we leave at 8:30. If you are running late..bring a map and hoof it. People out West tend to think of meeting times as a suggestion rather than something concrete. Being an East Coast transplant, I tend to not think this. )

I wrote an essay on this a year or so ago:

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...nectivity.html

Some people from SPOT, wilderness rangers and myself were also interviewed for a podcast on this subject:
    http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...ws/wb_pt1.html
    Last edited by Mags; 10-21-2009 at 13:56.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I blame man vs. wild.

"Oh gosh! I've encountered some salty water! I'm in a true emergency situation and I'm in need of rescue!

Oh look! Rushing water! Let's jump in with our clothes on!"
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    It is a culture of connectivity. Not only as a culture are we expecting connectivity as much as possible..but it is assumed other people want (and have) this connectivity as well.

On hikes, group or otherwise, I tend to turn off my phone off just prior to the hike. I lead a group hike not long ago where I was taken to task because the woman was running late...and could not get a hold of me. She assumed I had a cell phone and it was on.

(I now tell people to meet at say 8:15 and we leave at 8:30. If you are running late..bring a map and hoof it. People out West tend to think of meeting times as a suggestion rather than something concrete. Being an East Coast transplant, I tend to not think this. )

I do the same thing Mags on any hikes I plan with folks. I always tell them the leave time from the trailhead is 15 minutes prior to when I actually want to leave. And I will leave your butt behind too.

And I always carry a phone but turn it off before it goes in my pocket or my pack. On long hikes I usually bury it in my pack and it only comes out at night, in camp. The wife does like the fact that I can check in occasionally. Then it goes right back in the off mode.

Images

spot needs a "I need a pizza button"

push the button and dominos delivers.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

SPOT needs a feature in which the user can record a 15 or 30 second message, then once the 911 button is hit, the message is sent to the dispatch centre.. So say you broke your leg and required a rescue you could send a message, "Leg broke, need rescue" thereby giving responders some info to determine the seriousness of the incident. Perhaps the dispatch centre could also have the ability to send a signal back to the SPOT unit indicating that help is coming or not...

Then again, if this where the case then why not just carry a sat phone...

In the end people need to be self reliant and understand the risk involved once you depart from civilization..

I'll stick to my signal fires, worked for century's and requires no fancy technology..

Images

Sounds like they should be required to pay the cost of all 3 "rescues". Fined on top of that and then thrown into a locked cell with BUBBA for 24 hours - to see what a real emergency is!

Shame these people didnt walk off a cliff.................

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DAJA View Post
    SPOT needs a feature in which the user can record a 15 or 30 second message, then once the 911 button is hit, the message is sent to the dispatch centre.. So say you broke your leg and required a rescue you could send a message, "Leg broke, need rescue" thereby giving responders some info to determine the seriousness of the incident. Perhaps the dispatch centre could also have the ability to send a signal back to the SPOT unit indicating that help is coming or not...
    what are ya kidding me? it has a hard enough time sending simple 1-line data transmissions every 10 minutes.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    This bunch should pay for the NH kid's 25,000.00 fine and then all would be well with me.
    Amen to that.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I thought this was a joke when I first read it. I would never, ever do something that stupid - call three times? Didn't they ever hear the "kid who cries 'Wolf!' story?" I agree that they should pay for the "rescues" as well as a hefty fine. Then, someone should take their "toy" away, as obviously that's what they think it is.

If you can't rescue yourself, then don't go into the woods. If you honestly need rescueing, that's another story - but don't waste a rescue group's time and resources. When you file a false police report, you are charged accordingly and you do pay a fine!

The reason I probably will never buy the Spot is that I'm too worried that it would accidentally go off in my bag, a SAR will come looking for me, and I'll be charged for it. It probably wouldn't happen, but it isn't worth the risk. I don't even make $25,000 a year!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    spot needs a "I need a pizza button"

push the button and dominos delivers.
    True- forget SAR, how about just a device with a pizza button?

As for me, I only carry a cell phone in the first place in case I break my leg (or come across someone else who broke their leg), but I almost always have it off on the trail. The only people I call when hiking are family, the only time I call them is in towns, I may occasionally call from the trail if five days or more have gone by and I won't be getting to a town anytime soon, but I'd much rather be disconnected.

And it's easier than waiting for the pay phone in town.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++