WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bears ?

Default Bears ?

We are looking to do a 5 day leisurely section hike week after next (Springer on north). We hope to do 50 miles or so.

I haven't been able to find much on the bear population in N Georgia...

So i'm wondering how concerned we should be ..
    "My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, totally worn out, proclaiming: What a Ride!"

Images

Don't be too concerned. You have a decent chance of seeing a bear in GA.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I'm not concerned about seeing a bear i'm just concerned about having our stuff destroyed...

I saw where some shelters in the Smokies have fence around them.
    "My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, totally worn out, proclaiming: What a Ride!"

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by waldick View Post
    I saw where some shelters in the Smokies have fence around them.
    The fence is only there to keep the bears from carring away the shelters.

To be honest, every sighting of a bear for me has been their hind end running away as fast as they can.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just got done with Springer to Dicks Creek Gap. I did not see any south of Neels Gap. But did see around 8 north of there most of the sightings for me were just north of Low Gap Shelter in the Morn. All of them ran away I do not think it is a worry. Make sure your cam is out as mine was put up at the time. It was funny one was walking the trail in front of me heading north, I spooked the crap out of him. You should have a very nice hike temps will be cool and trees will be in good color. Have fun!
    I don't know

Springer to Atkins, VA

Encountered one bear at Hawk Mtn shelter...actually while walking to the privy...bear bolted quickly...encountered another bear just south of Indian Grave gap...while coming down Rocky Mtn...bear was just off trail and bolted quickly. This was two weeks ago. Enjoy your hike...beautiful time of year.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke View Post
    Encountered one bear at Hawk Mtn shelter...actually while walking to the privy...bear bolted quickly...encountered another bear just south of Indian Grave gap...while coming down Rocky Mtn...bear was just off trail and bolted quickly. This was two weeks ago. Enjoy your hike...beautiful time of year.

Well if you were seen on the Hawk Mtn privy - you would bolt too.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Just be sure to bear bag your food, and as previously said, have your camera ready. There are bears around the area you propose to hike.

Yeah, i intend to bear bag. Last year we hiked a section north from Rockfish Gap in SNP and when we got to the Loft Mountain campground a bear had apparently completely destroyed a tent and i mean shredded. They had pictures posted and the people claimed they had put all food stuff in the bear safe. The ranger there said he thought the bear might have been attracted by toothpaste?!?! So we put our entire packs in the safe....just to be safe .

Anyway i just wanted to know if this year we should be equally vigilant.

Quote Originally Posted by waldick View Post
    Anyway i just wanted to know if this year we should be equally vigilant.
    This year, you guys should be OK.

Images

Default Keep your camera REAL ready

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    ...have your camera ready.
    I came around a corner just north of Justus creek and was looking straight at a bear about 50 feet away. Before I could get my camera out of the zippered hipbelt pocket he was gone! *poof*

It was truly amazing. It didn't look like he was in a hurry, but in seconds he was totally invisible, and not a sound!

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

By this time of year the N. Georgia bears have had their fill of hiker meat...they're really a lot more docile.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

Lots of bear here in N. GA and all the ones I have seen have had tons of Southern hospitality. We saw some huge wild hogs around Poplar Stomp, largest I have ever seen, this time last year and my wife saw a mountain lion few months ago around Hogpen (on her road bike). Good luck! Hopefully you will get to see some critters....they are more afraid of you than you of them...usually....

On my section hike I saw one at Stover Creek.. Dang bear... wasn't even interested in my tuna fish... Heard another as I was going up Hightower Gap... Man he was so rude... couldn't even stop playing in his berry patch to say hi....

Those Georgia bears are so RUDE... They moon you as you come up the trail...... Hog up the privys..... and grunt...whats up with that anyway...Dosn't bears take bear ettiquett classes when they are young??...

Best advice.... practice safty protocalls and hope to get good pictures...

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

You might see a bear or 2. In May of 2004 my wife and I saw a small bear on the trail just north of Low Gap Shelter (GA) on our section hike. Once the bear saw us it turned & went off trail in seconds. A brief look and flash, the bear was gone. November of 2002 on the AT in the Smokies, hiking down from Shuckstack Fire Tower going toward Fontana Dam. My wife saw a large bear 20 yards off trail. I had walked right by and never saw it.
    We now have 2 bears that raid our bird feeders that hang in the trees beside our house. There are more bears around these days here in Asheville (many reasons why). Most bears fear people. Trouble starts when a bear get a taste of "people food". Watch out when that happens. We take the bird feeders down at night or when we are not home.
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

The shelters in the Smokies have been renovated. No more fence in front of the shelters. Bear cables are now in place for use to hang food and or packs.
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

Well we got back Wednesday from Neels Gap. Didn't see any bears, we didn't even see any bear poop...

The only wildlife we saw between Springer and Neels Gap were squirrels, chipmunks and crows...and hundreds of scouts....

Although we did see a huge group of turkeys on FS42....

Default Bear

I think it's bear season until mid november so hunters will be out there for sure. I'll be out there too, I'll be the guy glowing orange. Happy Trails.
    Cheers

Journal Entries

I hope to see one at relatively safe distance

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

I'm a little over 2400 miles on the AT cummulative miles over the last 36 years and have never seen a bear on the trail with the exception of the Bear Mountain Zoo....yet my tech did Damascus to Carvers 2 months ago and saw 4 bear on his first day...some hikers have the bear magnet and some dont.
    I'd be curious as to how many someone like LW with 24,000 miles on the AT has seen.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++