WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I hestitate to make such a mundane suggestion but...why don't you try doing some longer hikes with your dog? One of at least two weeks should let you know whether you enjoy the burden of hiking with your particular dog. Your info says you plan to attempt a thru in 2011, so you've got plenty of time to try it out.

People to talk to about the dogs and hiking include Leigh and Josh of the Hiker Hostel, in Dahlonega, GA. They love dogs and started their AT thru-hike with two of them. To make a long story short, though, when they go on long hikes now, the dog stays home.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

If you hike the AT with a dog you have to let go of the idea of keeping up with friends or being done by a special date. My mind set was that I was just going for a long walk with my best friend. If you aren't tuned in to your dog you'll probably go home early. When your dog is about 6 months old you want to socialize your dog to all kinds of people and all kinds of animals. Your dog should be indifferent to people and other animals. On a recent hike I passed two dogs separately who had their hiking hat on. They barely acknowledged my presents as they went by. Another mind set is that you don't have your dog on the AT to interfere other peoples hike. With that comes staying out of shelters and using your tent.
    Winter was never a burden to hike with. We didn't burn up the trail and Winter enjoyed watching Animal Planet as she lay in the motel AC. Her favorite food on town stops was the pre-cooked cheap charlie chickens. Winter traveled all over this country and was comfortable in the woods or in cities. She kept me warm when it was cold and made every hike better than it would have been with out her. I've had many dogs over the years...but there was only one Winter.

Backpacking with a dog is both good and not so good. There's always the tendency for a dog to bark and run towards anyone approaching camp, hence the need for a leash when camping close to the trail. And with the current crazy regulations in the Smokies and other Parks against dogs, I don't even bother entering them and find other places to go.

A dogpack is required unless you feel like carrying all their food yourself, which on a 10-15 trip will break your back in addition to all your other gear. And I believe a dog and his scent helps to keep raccoons and bears out of camp and away from the hung food bags.

On the AT I never stay in the shelters and instead set up camp wherever I feel like it and my campsites are not dependent on the spacing of shelters every 8 to 10 miles. And I keep my dog leashed at all times when in camp, but not so when I'm moving.

The one big advantage to a dog is that he or she is a reliable and loyal companion for the backpacker, and in this day and age of fickle outdoor human companions, a dog doesn't need to be convinced of the importance of nature or the importance of sleeping out every night. They're born for it, something you can't say for humans.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I know of at least one person who has hiked extensively on the A.T. with a pit bull, and I'm convinced that this is a maligned breed of dog, meaning are there are a lot of real idiots who own and keep pit bulls for wrong reasons? Absolutely. But a well cared-for, well-behaved, well-trained pit bull can do just fine on the the Trail. I've seen it.
    Oh yea. They outlawed the breeding of them in California recently I believe. Goes to show that there are not only alot of idiots out there who are bad owner/breeders but also alot of misinformed people too.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Oh yea. They outlawed the breeding of them in California recently I believe. Goes to show that there are not only alot of idiots out there who are bad owner/breeders but also alot of misinformed people too.
    I've told this story before...but hey, I like it.

My girlfriend at the time had a cute and lovable mainly pitbull mix. Everytime he'd see my truck pull up, he'd become very happy because he knew a hike was going to happen.

The pooch was had the typical pitbull build: Short, stocky and muscular. A "keg on legs".

Someone said to my girlfriend "Your dog is supposed to look like you...not the guy you are dating".
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Read and reread some of the posts on this thread and Jack Tarlin's well written recent article, that I think went into the WB archives, about hiking with a dog. I don't think most hikers who are contemplating hiking with a dog are FULLY aware of how it will affect their hike, the demands it places on the dog, and how it impacts others.

I love dogs, but not every dog and not every dog owner should be hiking together.

Images

from hiking a month with a dog, I can say its alot more work, assuming you are a responsible owner, you have many more things to be concerned about, carrying enough water for the two of you, food, their feet, other hikers (had to stop many from feeding my dog), other dogs, going into town, rain soaking them and their gear, ticks (assuming your dog has a tick treatment, you will be the one checking your own self more often for ticks.... i also gave my dog massages at night, after i decided her hike was done and sent her home, i realized how much extra work it is, but her companionship was also very rewarding and was difficult for several days to go with out....

and don't assume just becasue your dog is in the 'top hiking breeds' (whatever that is) that your dog will automatically make it, i've got a good trail dog, she isn't thru hiking material though (neither am i), it is really hard on dogs and ultimately comes down to the individual dog and its owner....
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

I've hiked with a dog, and I've hiked with my kid, and there's a certain similarity to hiking with a dog and with a 5-year old. Not that it's bad -- but it is very different.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I've hiked with a dog, and I've hiked with my kid, and there's a certain similarity to hiking with a dog and with a 5-year old. Not that it's bad -- but it is very different.
    '
    LOL, I have two grown sons. My experience was that it was easier to train my dog than my sons. Winter would learn and do anything I said for a piece of bacon...my sons...not so much.

Jolly Rancher NOBO '09 Harley&Me's Avatar

I thruhiked this year and my dog was with me for ~1500 miles (Hot Springs NC to Hanover NH). Feel free to contact me with any questions (you can also check out my blog at harveyat.blogspot.com
    Here is my 2 cents: I absolutely loved having my dog with me and it absolutely made my AT experience. That being said, it was A LOT of extra responsibility (especially in towns). You really have to have a good "trail dog." The best way to find out if your dog is ready to tackle this journey with you is to take him/her with you on your practice hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    '
    LOL, I have two grown sons. My experience was that it was easier to train my dog than my sons. Winter would learn and do anything I said for a piece of bacon...my sons...not so much.
    I thought with bacon you could make a guy do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Basically, a hike with a dog restricts you the most when you're in town. You can't stay in most hostels or bring your dog into buildings, if you aren't bothered by that, then it should be okay.

The main thing, in my opinion is that you really need to be aware of your dog, especially around shelters. Your dog can NOT sleep in shelters with other hikers. Allergies, wet dog, annoying dog, invasion of personal space and fear of dogs all make taking your dog in a shelter impossible. Don't do it- ever. Even in a downpour. I'm sure you know this already, but many hikers don't.
    Another thing, if you chose to eat at a shelter, make sure your dog doesn't beg (a lot of people can't stand begging dogs) or invade people's personal space. To bring a dog near other hikers, he really needs to be well trained.
    Apart from considerations of other people, I think dogs really like hiking. Some people maintain that dogs shouldn't carry a pack, but I think it makes them feel useful (just carrying their own stuff, of course- not much). They take to constant walking very well. There are a couple places that are difficult for even the sturdiest dogs. I know several dogs that have been injured around the Chairback Gap in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. And don't foget, they don't even allow dogs in Baxter State Park, so you'll have to kennel him. If you look in the Appalachian Pages 2009, there's a woman who'll pick up, kennel and drop off your dog at Abol Bridge (for a price, of course). Good luck, and sorry to run on so much!

Back when I did it there were no ' towns". I had a Samoyed with me. He walked 10 times farther than I did.I even had a gun strapped to my pack .Most of what he ate I killed, and mixed with grits, if their wasn't enough meat.
    From what I read now you can have Pizza Rut deliver in certain spots. What a shame.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doooglas View Post
    Back when I did it there were no ' towns". I had a Samoyed with me. He walked 10 times farther than I did.I even had a gun strapped to my pack .Most of what he ate I killed, and mixed with grits, if their wasn't enough meat.
    From what I read now you can have Pizza Rut deliver in certain spots. What a shame.

Damn..and I thought I had hair on my chest...after the post above I don't feel like such a man. Killing food AND mixing with grits. Daaaaamnn...

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++