WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ZEKE #2 View Post
    Yes I am. I've hiked from Sheboygan to the Southern Kettle Moraine area. I'm thinking about starting at the beginning in Pottawatomi State Park and hiking with my grandson as often as we can.
    I'm in West Bend, too (we are blessed with some great trails around here). "Ice Age" is just up the road near Lake 7 I think. My favorite stretch of the IAT is between Kewaskum and Glenbeulah with the southern KM a close second.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    I knocked out the northern 1/2 of the trail in late August, and was once again blown away by the SHT. I'll have to dig up my daily journal to give you more detail, but I can not over-emphasize how great an experience it is.

The campsites are amazing, always placed in the perfect location for scenery and access to water. The trail is great, throws just enough challenges at you to keep it interesting.

Go hike the SHT! (after the Ice Age Trail, of course)

yea i really want to hike atleast part of this trail and in im considering maybe trying a thru hike of it this summer, ive read a couple of peoples trail journals about it and it seems like a great trail.

Quote Originally Posted by mkmangold View Post
    "Ice Age" is still alive! (Reminds me of a Wisconism I heard once: "I see you're back in town").
    If we can convince someone to connect the IAT with the NCT, we could hike all the way up to the SHT and beyond. Where do the first two trails come the closest?
    Ben says to say "hi!" No, really.
    Well they come pretty close at the ice age trails end, st croix scenic riverway and they might be able to use that as a corridor to connect them, also the ice age trail come real close to nicolet nat'l forest and they could take that north and maybe connect with the north country some where in the upper penisula.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Southern Kettle Moraine

We're planning for a shelter this weekend (probably Saturday day to Sunday). All are welcome. Trailhead near Eagle,WI.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by puddingboy View Post
    Well they come pretty close at the ice age trails end, st croix scenic riverway and they might be able to use that as a corridor to connect them, also the ice age trail come real close to nicolet nat'l forest and they could take that north and maybe connect with the north country some where in the upper penisula.
    I was thinking the same thing. Interstate State Park is great.

We're planning for a shelter this weekend (probably Saturday day to Sunday). All are welcome. Trailhead near Eagle,WI.
    I'd love to come but Im gonna be hiking in the smokies, i just can't wait.

Images

"Ice Age" is still alive! (Reminds me of a Wisconism I heard once: "I see you're back in town").
    If we can convince someone to connect the IAT with the NCT, we could hike all the way up to the SHT and beyond. Where do the first two trails come the closest?
    Ben says to say "hi!" No, really.

I think I posted this once before, but the Tuscobia Trail shoots north from the IANST in Sawyer county toward the NCT and the Chequamegon. By my measure it is about 40 miles from the end of the Tuscobia to the NCT, and 7/8s of it would be in the Cheq. Nat'l Forest

Say "hi"to Ben from us as well!

As a former volunteer member of the Mobile Skills Crew, I have a special fondness for the Ice Age Trail and have hiked sections of it all over the state. A thru is in the plans. I've enjoyed seeing an increased in the Arizona Trail in recent years and hope that kind of thing happens to the IAT as it gradually nears completion.

anyone hiking the Ice Age this weekend (Thanksgiving weekend)? thinking of hiking parts of Kettle Moriane
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Quote Originally Posted by raru View Post
    As a former volunteer member of the Mobile Skills Crew, I have a special fondness for the Ice Age Trail and have hiked sections of it all over the state. A thru is in the plans. I've enjoyed seeing an increased interest in the Arizona Trail in recent years and hope that kind of thing happens to the IAT as it gradually nears completion.
    You're not the only one, but I have my sights on another IAT and one of Pennsylvania's other trails. Should I set my sights on a 3rd target?

It is nice to hear chatter about the Ice Age trail. Periodically checking the forum....just had been to Lapham Peak and the weekend before at Southern Kettle Morraine. It would be nice to spread the word about Whiteblaze to the Ice Age Trail hikers....AND vice versa.

I'm new to this forum but saw this thread.

I'm a member of both the IATA (Ice Age Trail) and NCTA (North Country Trail). Actually I was told that at one time there was talk of a trail to join the IAT and the NCT in Wisconsin but nothing ever came of it for some reason. Anyway, the IAT does actually go north at one point toward the NCT, in a sense: The IAT is host to one of only 2 federally designated "national side trails" (which seems to be a somewhat meaningless designation, but nonetheless) and in this case there is an offshoot of the trail that goes to WI's highest point, Timm's Hill, which is in Price County. I've wondered if extending this trail north from Timm's Hill would be a logical place to extend the trail north to the NCT, which would thereby connect the two.

But I'd also say that what is probably my favorite part of Wisconsin, the Nicolet National Forest in northeast WI, is unfortunately not host to either part of the trail. Would also be cool to have a theoretical connecting trail go through there instead.

As for me, I live near Milwaukee (Waukesha) and have hiked most of the IAT in the southern Kettle Moraine State Forest. Slowly working on finishing it with a few miles to go. There is also an award program for people who want to walk all the miles within the county, but I kind of lost interest in that once I saw that you also have to walk connecting roads to qualify. Anyway, contrary to what others say I'd say KMSF south is not especially scenic but it does have the advantage of being a relatively nearby backpacking option for those in the Milwaukee or Chicago areas. I think the northern Kettle Moraine is a bit more scenic and wooded and also has a long uninterrupted stretch. But it's about another hour away to get there. I've also hiked a couple segments in Lincoln Co. which are great. These are some of the most wild areas of the trail (wolves, bears, porcupines, etc... - I have had both bears and a porcupine there) and combined with the trail to the west in Taylor Co. may be the best IAT stretch for backpacking. More info here:

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/Org/land/...n/backpack.htm

There has also been development the last few years in a yet-undeveloped state park called Straight Lake State Park in Polk Co. not too far from the western terminus. I think this stretch is being finished this year and will then be open. Not sure how long that stretch will be at that point, but my sense is that it's in sort of a tension zone between the northern and southern parts of the state which can be interesting and this will probably be a popupar new segment given that it seems like it goes through what is now a pretty remote area.

I believe a new trail map set and atlas are due out later this year so stay tuned...

Also FYI the IATA is hosting a photo contest right now. Send in your best photos if you have any. Check out their web site for more info: http://www.iceagetrail.org

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    I think I posted this once before, but the Tuscobia Trail shoots north from the IANST in Sawyer county toward the NCT and the Chequamegon. By my measure it is about 40 miles from the end of the Tuscobia to the NCT, and 7/8s of it would be in the Cheq. Nat'l Forest

Say "hi"to Ben from us as well!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++