WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of 2012

Default Class of 2012

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is thinking of hiking the AT in 2012 starting in Georgia. I know it seems far away but I wanted to start researching and planning and hiking to prepare. Let me know if you are looking for someone else to hike with sometime around the end of March that year. I am 26F and so far not quite as much experience camping and hiking but I am going somewhere almost every weekend at this point. I am from the Maryland area so if you are near and would like to hike portions of the trail let me know

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

Depending on the situation, my g/f and I might be bumping our 2011 plans to 2012, but we'll see. Personally I hope we don't, but I'm trying to understand that there are other things that need to be done.

One piece of advice I can give you though is don't spend TOO much time researching, planning, and web surfing this stuff. It gets into your brain which isn't really helpful. If you know you can't go for 2 years...spend more time hiking and less time researching up until you get to about 8-9 months out...then start planning. Any farther out than that is just mental punishment...at least IMO.

We're in the Jersey area and have been spending about every other weekend out either dayhiking or overnighting. I'm 28, she's 29...though I'll be 29 as well this October. If you'd like to meet up with us at some point, let us know...we're always up for company. Neither of us is super experienced, but we know enough to get into trouble.

PM me if you'd be interested in doing a hike with us or whatever. Good luck out there! Maybe we'll see ya on the trail in 2012...if not, you can hopefully read our trailjournals from the year before to help ya plan!
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

Images

Greetings!

I WAS going to try for 2011, but it seems that it's going to be 29 Feb 2012 for me as well. It's still a faint possibility, but........ gotta get the bills paid down for my wife to allow me to leave for 6 months plus I have to have 3 months of lesson plans ready for a long-term sub, IF and ONLY if I can get a leave of absence. I'm old - 53 (centuries ) at current growth ring count and I have to get this done before I'm too downhill to do it. My Scout Troop has been section hiking for 3 years now. This last summer from Neel Gap to Standing Indian campgrounds. The year before they were rained out after 3 miles (I wasn't along) and the first year was Springer to Neel Gap. Been camping and hiking for decades, but I'm still hesitant to offer advice, as what I do is what works for me, esp. with all the mistakes I make. Still, free advice is free and well worth the cost.

Being down here in FL, I'm envious of you guys who are able to actually train with actual elevation. That's the roughest part for me: dealing with the elevation changes. My son is going to let me in his building to do the stairs at night and that should help.

Any-hoo - hope to see you in '12!

Old Hiker
    I'm so far behind, I thought I was first!

I cant wait to meet everyone on the trail! I am questioning as to when to start now and am wondering if the end of March would be too late....

Quote Originally Posted by cat12muffin View Post
    I am questioning as to when to start now and am wondering if the end of March would be too late....
    the first week of april is the best time to start NOBO

I am also dreaming of being in the class of 2012. Had wanted this to happen much sooner, but due to circumstances I will have to wait until then. Just praying that I will still be physically able to do it. I plan to start in April and hike Northbound. Have much to do before then. And much to research to be able to do it. Looking forward to this experience.

Images

Default 2012

My retirement date is 2/12/2012.
    I am hoping to start NOBO on 3/21/2012. Fingers crossed.

Im finding as I research and read there is a lot to take in. Have you gone on some backpacking trips to break in new gear and to train? My theory is to just get as much experience in every kind of situation whether it be rain,sleet,snow or sunshine just so its not a shock out on the trail. What things have you done so far to prepare?

To "gldodd" : I think its awesome you are going to tackle the trail hardly a month into retirement. Hope to see you out there and good luck!

Hello 2012ers
    Was originally planning my hike for 2011 but due to the economy I'm (probably) changing my start date to 3/15ish/12. A little depressed about having to put it off for another year, but gotta do what ya gotta do. Nice to see there's people already planning. Hope to see you all on the trail.

Images

Jan 27, 2012 My 50th Birthday, NOBO slowly, planning on lots of weather days, and enjoying the hike!

So far, i have sectioned Springer to Davenport, and the 100 mile wilderness (Kinnebec River to Abol Bridge)

Hearing everyone elses experience makes me feel like such a newbie. I am backpacking the MD section of the AT this weekend Nov6-8. My first backpack trip alone ahhhhhh!

Default doughnut you stole my birthday

I too am planning a 2012 thru hike but not till around Feb. 24th. I am not gonna get in any kind of hurry and just go with the flow of how my body feels. Hope to meet all you fine folks out on the trail.

I am planning to thru hike in 2012, but my plans could change if I get into vet school. If I get in I then do not know when I will do my thru hike.

2012 SOBO
    Images

Hey folks, count me in...but I'll be headed SOBO. Maybe I'll see some of you guys and gals near halfway. I'm separating the military May 30th, 2012 and plan to start the trip on my bday - June 14th.

I was just on the trail last week near Stecoah and Fontana; my knees aren't used to that terrain after living in FL for 3 years. I'm going to have to do some strength training for sure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cat12muffin View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is thinking of hiking the AT in 2012 starting in Georgia. I know it seems far away but I wanted to start researching and planning and hiking to prepare. Let me know if you are looking for someone else to hike with sometime around the end of March that year. I am 26F and so far not quite as much experience camping and hiking but I am going somewhere almost every weekend at this point. I am from the Maryland area so if you are near and would like to hike portions of the trail let me know
    good luck on your hike!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

i myself plan on being a 2012'er!!!!! am done with classes in the spring of 2011.. i figured i will have to work a yr to save the money to pay bills and have ter cash to hike!!!! i also know a lot can happen from now till then... but that is my plan!!! hope to talk to yall when our yr gets closer!!!!! but i am pumped!!!! CANT WAIT!!!

I'll most likely be on the 2012 bandwagon...Probably gonna start March 24th. I said during my 2007 thru hike that I would hike this trail (at least) every 5 years. So far all of the stars and planets are aligning for that to happen.

Advice to any new North Bounders....Don't drive your self nuts planning every mail drop and creating a schedule. You have to give your brain freedom out there and just flow along as your mental state allows. The minute your hike becomes a chore to stay on schedule you are not having fun. The cliche "it's about the journey, not the destination" rang very true for me. Also, "It's about the smiles, not the miles" was a good one. =)

I think one's time is best spent before a thru hike becoming comfortable living in the woods and learning what gear works for you. Don't even go nuts trainnig to get physically fit!! I put on like 15lbs before my hike and lost all of it and then some.

The AT is just a long walking party...

Images

[QUOTE=K-Man;946763]

Advice to any new North Bounders....You have to give your brain freedom out there and just flow along as your mental state allows. ........ QUOTE]

Great! Just GREAT!!! Now, I have to find a brain as well and once I find one, I have to let it go free?!?!

There goes MY weight planning.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Default 2012!!!

I wanted to say hello to all the fellow 2012 hikers in planning/dreaming/saving modes.
    2012 has been on my radar for a couple of years now. We WILL be starting our NOBO thru around March 15ish. Hiking will be myself (40 at trail date), my wife (42 in 2012) and our two boys (16 and 10 in 2012).
    We have already put our house up for sale in anticipation and are actively working towards our goal of hiking the trail.
    Here is our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/tos.php?api_...7586481?ref=mf

We look forward to meeting other thru hikers before we hit the trail and especially on the trail.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++