WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Class of 2012

WW, Had to postpone my thru this year also. Will be starting mid March 2012. Hope to see you out there.

Tumbleweed

Bill Walker

College students who want to thru-hike face a particular dilemna, because they usually can't start hiking until mid-May, while the bubble of thru-hikers usually begins around April 1st. What I recommend is starting at Trail Days in Damascus, Va. in mid-May. That way you can meet alot of potential hiking partners, as well as not have to face one of the most difficult states early on. Then, when you arrive at Mount Katahdin--usually around late September--you can do what is known in AT parlance as a 'flip-flop'.

You would catch a ride or fly back to Damascus, Virginia. There you would head south to Springer Mountain in Georgia to complete your thru-hike. This effectively lengthens the hiking season. Unless you are especially fleet of foot, you would not have time to thru-hike the entire AT if you began at Springer MOuntain in mid-May. Good luck. 2012 will be one of the most memorable years of your life!

Skywalker--Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail
    Skywalker--Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest Trail

I did about 300 miles of Virginia in June of this year from Harpers Ferry - going south - as a taster.
    I liked it so much that I cleared it with my wife to do a through hike in 2012.
    My problem is that I am running with my son in a marthon on the 29th April and so can't start till early May. I found water a bit of a problem at the end of June in southern Virginia...if I start in May I'm not going to get there until about that time...anyone got any advice?
    I'm not a fast walker and found that an average of 10 to 15 miles is my ideal pace (I'll be 59 next year) and will be comming from the UK - so it takes a long time for me to get used to the humidity and temperature in the USA.

Hi,
    I am pretty sure that its 6 months.
    You dont apply to embassy its all done online now with ESTAS - used to be a visa waiver done on the plane.
    You need to make sure you have a machine readable passport - thats the series of numbers and chevrons at the bottom of the picture page. You need to ensure that you have at least 6 months left on passport and couple of clear pages.
    Also suggest that you book first night in the USA at hostel/hotel - makes life a lot easier.
    I would also suggest that you get medical insurance as its not free out there.
    Enjoy yourself - its great fun on the trail.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just posted a piece on what went into our decision as to when to start our thru hike.

http://laughingdawg.blogspot.com/
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just posted our thoughts as to how Mary and I are going to get to Springer Mountain next spring:

http://laughingdawg.blogspot.com/
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Journal Entries

I plan on starting with in the first Week of April if everything goes according to plan in Georgia, cant wait!
    Look for me asking questions and posting my gear list.

Images

I hike regularly in Maryland n southern Pa. I would suggest even going over to Harpers Ferry n doing some hiking sout, should give you some work in pretty steep areas. Just hiked Port Clinton Pa on a day hike, very steep n rocky but would recommend it highly. Msg me if you need any more advice and GOOD LUCK

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++