WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2012

It's decided, I'll start mid march 2012. Currently I'm investing in gear and will try it this april in France. It really sucks that all this stuff is much much much more expensive here in Europe!!!

I smell a holiday Far East! see you on the trail.

Planning a NOBO thru starting sometime (tbd) in March 2012

Far East - I hear ya!

Gear here in the UK is way too expensive. I've been waiting until friends/family have been visiting the states and then buying stuff online for them to bring back.
    We also seem to have less variety and fewer stores to go and try gear out - that's been my big issue, not being able to test stuff I want before having to buy it.

Still - I'm almost fully geared up and looking forward to some shakedown hikes in the summer before the big one next year

Happy Trails everyone - can't wait!!!!

Hi HockeyGirl!

Here in Germany it's more a question of price than of selection. I found a store where they are currently ordering all my stuff... So I should be fully equipped in march ready for a four week shakedown hike in France!
    Do you already have a visa and a starting date for 2012? Seems like I have to bring a lot of papers to the embassy...

[QUOTE=Old Hiker;949088]
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Man View Post

Advice to any new North Bounders....You have to give your brain freedom out there and just flow along as your mental state allows. ........ QUOTE]

Great! Just GREAT!!! Now, I have to find a brain as well and once I find one, I have to let it go free?!?!

There goes MY weight planning.
    I wanted to say hello to all the fellow 2012 hikers in planning/dreaming/saving modes.
    2012 has been on my radar for a couple of years now.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=Old Hiker;949088]
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Man View Post

Advice to any new North Bounders....You have to give your brain freedom out there and just flow along as your mental state allows. ........ QUOTE]

Great! Just GREAT!!! Now, I have to find a brain as well and once I find one, I have to let it go free?!?!

There goes MY weight planning.
    Pretty sure the brain lightens a lot the first few days ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Will finish someday ;)

Default Another One for 2012

2012 is the year for me! NOBO
    I have not decided on start date yet, Mid March or Early April.
    Have most of my gear, need to take care of a couple financial aspects this year yet and some more conditioning.

Living the dream!

Default Class of 2012

K-Man. You doing the approach trail on March 19th. I'd starting on the 19th, doing the approach trail, and will start the official AT on March 20th, my birthday.

I'm WalkinTom's wife. Thought I'd chime in even though he's stated our 2012 plans. Currently, besides hiking, I am a spreadsheeting fool trying to keep our finances in line and make the trip possible.

Also, while he said we're NOBO in March, I think we will become flexible if his job will give him time off starting later - either flipflopping of even a complete SOBO.

2012 North bound Thru-hiker Hiking Dutchman's Avatar

Hello! 34 year old male.. who is for sure going to hike this trail 2012! I would love to get planning with some of you about this hike... Has anyone heard that as a thru-hiker you can continue down the other side of Mt. K into Canada for another 700 miles? I think I want to do that.

Default Got 2012 in my sights!

Thinking about a NOBO route. Would like to take the dog along for at least part of that but that is TBD.

Would be heading out early March or if the winter is mild, even before.

Looking forward to it !!

Hope your and my mojo's are working out and we can make it as planned!

Doug

Far East - have to say I'm lucky on that front - no papers as I have a US and UK passport.
    One less hurdle for me!
    Good luck with the visa

Images

Hi all! My fiance and I will be heading nobo in late March or early April. It seems there will be a lot of couples out there. That's great!

I'm a semi-experienced 'packer, so I have most of my gear already. Max is brand new at it (I feel very blessed that I have found someone willing to attempt this with me) so we're working hard to outfit him. He's a very big guy, so it's a bit of a challenge!

We're getting married at the end of October, so we'll be honeymooning on the AT!

Default Depending on job and finances

The wife knows I am feeling the tug of the trail again and she told me to go ahead. But I have to keep telling her its the time and money thing, plus we've not been seperated since we got married. Family things for an old fart are a bit different now with her health things. But I was surprised she said to just go ahead. Tentative trip at the very end of feb. for the trip to Springer and start on march 1st. Had some free time about 30 years ago and did the section from Springer to Damascus then went and visited friends before returning to the west coast. Now in Jax. FLorida.

I'm planning on a 2012 March nobo thru hike. I'm looking for people that I could hike it with. I know that I will meet people on the trail since I'm going to begin it at such a popular time, but I'd like to have the reassurance before I begin that I definitly have a friend to hike it with. Anyone interested? I check my mail on this website almost every day, but I also check my facebook, so here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=546945155

Anyone know if 2012 will ever get its own forum?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho_Nomad View Post
    Anyone know if 2012 will ever get its own forum?
    Nah. Mods think the world will end in Dec 2012, so why bother?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    It's decided, I'll start mid march 2012. Currently I'm investing in gear and will try it this april in France. It really sucks that all this stuff is much much much more expensive here in Europe!!!
    Have you tried shopping online?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    Do you have access to the military BXs - PXs? Know a military member who does? Shop the catalogs, etc. Try to have the things sent to an APO box, if possible.

Good luck!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++