WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2012

Looking forward to a late march 2012 nobo start. Looking forward to meeting you all on springer or beyond!

I'll be heading North on/around March 18th 2012. Can't wait!

So what are peoples plans for resupply? Maildrops, resupply in route, or some combination?

As someone coming from over the pond, I shall be resupplying in towns only, way too much hassle trying to mail drops from where I am now.

However I haven't ruled out the idea of a bounce box as I get going for winter gear etc.

Currently more worried I have too much equipment and it won't fit in my pack! Anyone having this issue?!

My current version of a packing list doesnt add to much over what I would normally carry on a 3 season backpacking trip. My advice is to do shakedown hikes, you will quickly find out what items you can live without and which are absolute necessities.

So what are peoples plans for resupply? Maildrops, resupply in route, or some combination?
    I think we'll be doing a combo of both. I'm a good cook, IMHO and I'm pretty good with the dehydrator. This way we can have the best of both worlds!

Images

I've only got three months to hike, so maildrops probably wouldnt work for me, so I'll resupply as I go. from what I've learned from thru-hikers I've spoken with and plenty of great info from this site, this would work for me.as you'll find out from this website, evryone is different, and a lot of people prefer a combo. With the time I have, I cant afford to be stuck in any town longer than I have to to wait for my package, although there are many hostels that will accept pkgs for thru-hikers instead of sending them to the post office.

Default Female NOBO Thru-Hiker Wanted for 2012

Hi all, I'm brand new to White Blaze. I have been planning a NOBO thru-hike for February 1, 2012 with an acquaintance, but she just dropped out. I'm looking for a new female hiking buddy. I do plan to start February 1st because my intent is to make it to Katahdin before September 1st so I can jump right into grad school. I realize it's an early start. If you're interested, please contact me.

Default Changed Start Date

Quote Originally Posted by Lib View Post
    Hi all, I'm brand new to White Blaze. I have been planning a NOBO thru-hike for February 1, 2012 with an acquaintance, but she just dropped out. I'm looking for a new female hiking buddy. I do plan to start February 1st because my intent is to make it to Katahdin before September 1st so I can jump right into grad school. I realize it's an early start. If you're interested, please contact me.
    Changed my start date to March 1st.

Hey, Im from Texas. I plan on leaving out between Middle of Feb, beginning of March. Looks like several here are doing the same.

Hope to be hiking with ya.

I have been planning this trip for many years and find this is the best time for me. So Im taking it!!

Anyone want to hook up or discuss planning, shoot me a message..Cya around the forums..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Good day to you all!

Well, finding this forum has been like a breath of fresh air. I fully intend to hike the AT come March, 2012. I've been thinking about it for years but always somehow found something more important to do, that turned out not so important at all on the other side of it.

This year I've canned that attitude, and decided to view the trail not as a five-six month break from life, but a five-six month break to actually live life. As soon as I changed my perception, nothing seemed more important than heading north to Maine.

I'll be 24 when I start, and my only real handicap at the moment is my distance to the start trail. I hang my hat down in Western Australia. Beautiful country down here, but not much in the way of elevation (we average 1,200ft above sea level), so I expect actual mountains to be worthy adversaries.

I fully intend to spend the next year absorbing and shamelessly stealing any and all good hiking tips I see on this forum, and can't wait to meet you all out on the trail.

All the best,

Cap'n Joe

Images

I'm going SOBO mid-July in 2012.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

My plans are to start hiking mid to late March 2012. I am super excited. I will be hiking with my sister. We do a lot of hiking throughout the year. My only obstacle is convincing my husband. Some days he is on board with my dream and other days he isn't. We will see. Hope to see you all on the trail!

Hey 2012ers! I'm checking back into this thread. Still on track for a 2012 with my girlfriend...now known as "Land o Lakes". Going to start the same date I did in 2007 which is March 19th. Figure why change something that worked!

I've been getting great joy out of saying..."I'll be thru hiking NEXT YEAR". Crazy that it's only 13+ months away now. Time will fly and before I know it I'll be standing on Springer looking north again.

Cheers,
    Hungus

Quote Originally Posted by K-Man View Post
    Hey 2012ers! I'm checking back into this thread. Still on track for a 2012 with my girlfriend...now known as "Land o Lakes". Going to start the same date I did in 2007 which is March 19th. Figure why change something that worked!

I've been getting great joy out of saying..."I'll be thru hiking NEXT YEAR". Crazy that it's only 13+ months away now. Time will fly and before I know it I'll be standing on Springer looking north again.

Cheers,
    Hungus
    Now you tell me. 13 months away? I didnt thinkof it that way. But it makes it look so much better. Cant wait!!
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

I would like to take a semester off from school spring of 2012 to start a NOBO thru. The only constraint is that I would like a trail partner. Anyone looking to go want to meet up?

Leaving with a friend in April '12. Starting NOBO then flipping at HF.

395 days till I start. woop

Default "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Lao-tzu

Planning for an early April 2012 nobo hike with my boyfriend. I'll be quitting my day job after 5+ years and finally 'stepping out into the unknown'!
    My main areas of concern are staying ultralight weight, warm/cool enough, a sufficient vegetarian diet, sobriety, and of-course completing the journey!
    See you on the other forums with more details/questions

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was just looking at the lineup for MerleFest this April in NC. Lyle Lovette, Doobie Bros, Doc Watson, Rory Block, Sam Bush Band, Del McCoury Band, Tony Rice, Peter Rowan, Robert Plant, Randy Travis, and literally dozens of others ... And a week later, just up the road a piece is Trail Days at Damascus. Sounds like an opportunity to hear some mountain music, hike the trail a bit, and drop in on the cultural event of the year!
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++