WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2012

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dbs1crew View Post
    I guess Im the only SOBO hiker so far.
    I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be the only grumpy NOBO SOB in 2012. Getting close to 365 days out. Starting to worry about it all. Anyone else?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I wonder what % of people who plan to hike the trail 2 years from now actually do?

Just curious - I hope everyone does...
    I turn 55 yrs old on April 10, 2012, so I've set that for my start date. I've got 3 months off to gt as far north as I can. I've section hiked about 3/4 of the AT north of PA over the past 30 yrs. The plan is to do as much as possible in 2012 and finish the balance in 2013.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans".
    John Lennon

Images

466 days 'til April 15, 2012! i can't wait...i'm excited to start a month later than usual and hopefully miss out on most of the "cold" weather...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

I can't keep up with all these 2012 threads. Every time I open one I think its one I've already posted on.

I'm planning on NOBO 2012 if life lets me.

Hey also planning for an early march 2012 start. I get out of the Army about 3 months prior so it should be perfect timing. Anyone know when they will open a class of 2012 sub forum?

Hey planning on tackling the AT in 2012, would like to start sometime in late Feb/early March and leaving from Iowa. Anyone else from around the midwest going to try? Ive already figured out when ill be quitting my job and putting everything into storage. Id love to talk with some people about their progress towards getting ready, or their gear or whatever! Hoping to do a chunk of the Ozark Trail, a rim to rim hike of the Grand Canyon, backpacking in the Maroon Bells (aspen area) and a two week stint of bicycle touring this year to help me get ready! Who wants to to backpack!? lol.

G.

Images

I wanna try for an early march NOBO thru-hike also. Same here, put stuff in storage and quit employment as well. But, it all depends on how much dinero i can claw together.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho_Nomad View Post
    Hey also planning for an early march 2012 start. I get out of the Army about 3 months prior so it should be perfect timing. Anyone know when they will open a class of 2012 sub forum?
    I trade into the IRR one month prior. Hope to see you out there

Mid march... sometime midweek to avoid a crowd (i guess)

@Green, as far as progress I'm about 70% set on gear, still need to work out some clothing issues and find an alcohol stove I like. I'm just now starting to look at tentative itineraries, not that I want to follow a strict schedule but just so I have an idea of what is where along the trail. Also need to figure out what I plan on eating.

@Fog Horn, what unit are you in? Do you have a start date yet?

A buddy and I will be thru-hiking SoBo in 2012. First time for both of us, can't wait to go!

Any other SoBo'ers?

Cool enrollment in the class of 2012...

a few years back someone told me about the Appalachian Trail and i became hooked on the idea of wanting to make the hike. lately, i find my mind wandering more and more, either about the hike or about the decision i have made to get to where i am right now.
    i currently work at a homeless shelter in las vegas. though i do enjoy my work very much, i know if i have to do this for much longer, i will have to start bashing my head against a wall just to get the right mind set to come to work. so i have decided that i will be making the hike in 2012. that gives me roughly a year an a month to get all the planning done. ill be saving money out of every paycheck between now and then and counting the days till i can send in my "i dont want to do this anymore" letter. they say you need between 3 and 5 thousand saved to make the trip, which seems to be to be a pretty big gap. so, 28 paychecks = 180 a paycheck. its like making a car payment so later i can walk 2100 miles i look forward to the hike.
    i honnestly dont know if anyone will be joining me on this hike. i bring it up and pretty much every time get a look back like i am crazy. i dont see it that way at all. i think its time for me to unplug, enjoy myself, take some pictures, and enjoy my life a little bit.
    i look forward to meeting each and every one of you online here, while we all prepare for the hike, and on the trail when 2012 accually gets here.... if any of you feel like you might want to group up for this hike, drop me a line and maybe we can all start preparing together. im sure that is part of what this is all about.
    good luck to everyone planning the hike, and ill see you on the AT!!!

@Green, as far as progress I'm about 70% set on gear, still need to work out some clothing issues and find an alcohol stove I like. I'm just now starting to look at tentative itineraries, not that I want to follow a strict schedule but just so I have an idea of what is where along the trail. Also need to figure out what I plan on eating.

@Fog Horn, what unit are you in? Do you have a start date yet?
    I'm with Psyop at Bragg. I'm thinking the first of March but its my nephews bday, so I might have to wait till the second so that I can call him on his bday.

What starting time frame are you looking at so far?

Quote Originally Posted by phoddo View Post
    i honnestly dont know if anyone will be joining me on this hike. i bring it up and pretty much every time get a look back like i am crazy. i dont see it that way at all. i think its time for me to unplug, enjoy myself, take some pictures, and enjoy my life a little bit.
    I get this look too. Three of my bosses have been trying to talk me out of it since I brought it up a couple of months ago. Their biggest argument is that a single woman shouldn't be alone on the trail, but I've read up on a lot and I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

Sometimes the best thing you can do in life is unplug and reset.

@Fog Horn You've got to be kidding me. I'm also in 4th POG out of Bragg, I'm actually deployed with 5BN right now. My current timeframe for starting would be the 1st through the 15th of March.

@phoddo dont worry too much about no one wanting to go, I have a hard time finding hiking/climbing/outdoor partners for weekend trips let alone an AT partner. But from everything I've read it sounds like it isn't too hard to find a partner once you starting hiking the AT.

I will attempt to thru-hike the a.t in 2012 right now I am in the planning stages reading,surfing this site,training & getting some inspiration from trailjournals although I'm a newbie on hiking when I first eared about the A.T 2 months ago I knew this was the thing I was looking for so now is just planning save some money & wait, I'm so happy to see a lot of people planning they 2012 thru-hike attempt I WISH YOU THE BEST & I HOPE I SEE YOU IN THE TRAIL

by the way this is my FIRST POST in whiteblaze SO HAPPY

@Fog Horn You've got to be kidding me. I'm also in 4th POG out of Bragg, I'm actually deployed with 5BN right now. My current timeframe for starting would be the 1st through the 15th of March.
    Don't hate me, I'm not with 4th POG, I'm with 1st TB. Reservist on stateside deployment. I've got a couple of friends deployed with 4th right now though, but they'll be home in about a month, hopefully. Be safe out there! Small world, isn't it, haha.

I'm hoping to set foot on the trail very early march. I'm hoping no later than the fifth.

@Fog Horn no I was just suprised to meet someone from psyop on whiteblaze. Well if youre still at Bragg in a couple months let me know and maybe we'll do some dayhikes or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonno View Post
    A buddy and I will be thru-hiking SoBo in 2012. First time for both of us, can't wait to go!

Any other SoBo'ers?
    Yea Im leaving around the end of June or beginning of July. What about yall?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++