WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Class of 2012

Quote Originally Posted by cat12muffin View Post
    Hearing everyone elses experience makes me feel like such a newbie. I am backpacking the MD section of the AT this weekend Nov6-8. My first backpack trip alone ahhhhhh!
    I too am planning a 2012 thru hike but not till around Feb. 24th. I am not gonna get in any kind of hurry and just go with the flow of how my body feels. Hope to meet all you fine folks out on the trail.

:banana 2012

I'll be starting a 2012 nobo between 10th and 20th of March. Was supposed to be starting next year, but putting it off. Currently living and working in Mexico city... from UK

correction.... Sunday/Monday April 1st/2nd 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I too am planning a 2012 thru NOBO. Plan on starting April 1st. Just seemed appropriate since everyone I know thinks I'm an old fool. Been doing a lot of road walks. Some with pack some without.

I figure at the worst if my plans fall through I'll be in better shape in two years than I am now.
    Well see you on the 1st!, pal. Nice name by the way, my middle name!

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
    Have changed from my original date of 2011 to March 15th 2012.
    Will be heading out there from the UK and if really interested can find me either on Postholer or Trailjournals under Button.

Can't wait to see you all
    Hey good to see another Brit will be along with me... where you from?

Images

:banana Class of 2012

I was hoping for 2011, but just like many others, money is a huge factor. My plan now is to leave Springer mid-March of 2012. I started a thru-hike in 2009 and had to leave after a stress fracture in my foot. I have continued to section hike since then, but I have the thru-hiker bug.
    I hope to see you all on the trail!!
    Infinity
    Some of life's greatest lessons cannot be pried from books--they must be experienced in your bones.
    Kobi Yamada

Hey Ingles

I'm down in Hampshire, pretty much living & working southampton/Winchester area.
    Where you from? Mexico city is pretty far from home!

I'm from Shrewsbury, Shropshire.... Yep Mexico City is my new home! the greatest place I've ever lived in. Beautiful city..... most people have a terribly incorrect image in their heads about it. No problems, more lovely city and high paying work for me!

Enjoy the Camino de Santiago!!!

My wife and I plan to start NOBO in mid/late March 2012.

We really look forward to getting in some elevation hikes over the next year (we live in FL and it is SO FLAT) and hope to see you on the trail!

Old Spice here. Originally nobo class of 06. Got off trail in northern Virginia somewhere. Ran out of money and wasn't ready emotionally or mentally to complete my thru even if I had the money. My girl "Secret" and I are aiming for the first week of April ga>me. For her a new dream, for me the fulfillment (fingers crossed) of an old one.

Reading over my old posts I'm a little embarrassed and wanna send a collective apology for those posts where my unresolved character defects affected any of you all. I am also really amazed at how focussed on gear I was at the time. Obsessive really. I just wanna hike this time around and do more mental prep than sit around manicly counting ounces. Hope to get to meet some of you once where out there 500or so days from now.

New WhiteBlazer here. I was wondering if I there was a 2K12 thread yet, glad I found it. I too will be hiking then. Haven't decided on a start date yet. I don't know if I can talk a buddy of mine into going but he says that if he does go, he wants to start mid to late February. Yeesh. He doesn't know about hiking it all the way though so I might hold off until later because I for sure want to hike the entire trail.

Anywho, hoping to meet the lot of you on the AT!

For several years I have talked to my family about thru hiking the AT. I always told my home-schooled children that I had to wait until they were grown to thru-hike. Recently my children (14 & 11 in 2012) came to me and told me they wanted to thru with me and will help save the money for the trip. So we have decided on starting a NOBO hike on March 29, 2012 (my sons B-day). Our measure of success is not going to be Katahdin but that we gave it our all and bonded as a family. We'll see how far that'll get us! I figure teaching them how to plan and save $ is a good lesson anyway.

Default Hello 2012ers!

I will be joining you all on the AT. I plan on leaving late march (probably a week before April) and hopefully will finish in late July, maybe early August. I decided to do a thru-hike this past January and can't get it out of my head. It's still a year and a half away!!!!!

(I found this site today and am proud to make my first post!)

Images

I attempted the AT in 2009 but developed a foot injury that took me off the trail after 300 miles.So eager to be back out there.My friend War Eagle and i plan on starting at the end of March..can't wait!!!
    Trekkngirl

Images

AHHHH! i can't wait to be hiking the AT again...2012 let's do this!
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Im planning a SOBO around June/July 2012. Ive already started training and planning for it.

Ive pretty much got all of my gear. Im a hammock kinda guy, theyve worked well for me on my week/weekend hikes, so well see how she fairs on a 1/2 a year hike lol. What kind of stove is everyone using? Im thinkin about using my Whisperlite Int... kinda on the heavier side though...

I'm designing a hybrid stove. I'm more a fan of a wood burning stove because it's more cost efficient but let's face it, every day won't be sunshine and rainbows. For the bad weather days I will have an alcohol burning supplement. This is the stove I intend on making this week actually. I plan on making and testing several different alcohol stoves to see which works best for my needs.

Stove Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-MKKt6GPo

I guess Im the only SOBO hiker so far.

Its this or college, I can't decide yet....but if i would do a thru hike it would be in early-mid march

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++