WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Patagonia down sweater

I'm very interested in this jacket, to be used as a layering garment, especially the new hoody version. Anyone with any experience with it?
    http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod...?p=84700-0-686

Images

I have the older pullover hoody version. Love it. Like a big hooded sweatshirt, but down-filled. I find it comfortable hanging around camp over a base layer down to freezing or so. The hood is nice, fits well, and is adjustable. Makes a good layering garment inside my sleeping bag.

It's not really a winter down jacket, of course -- there's not enough loft. But for cool-season hiking, it makes a good warm layer.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I hope a lot of people respond to this thread, I think I would like to have one but the $200 price tag scares the bejeezus out of me!

I used the pullover type for my thru hike. It was great, got it used for about eighty dollars,used it for camp use, and slept in it too....tied a photon light to the zippered pocket, great for midnight pee.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, if you've got money to spend. I know I don't.

Me, I look for stuff on e-bay or resale or sales online.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Patagonia products are often on sale at 50% off at the end of the season. I have never paid full price, and got my down hoody for $125 (half off) at Footsloggers winter sale last year.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

yup, is a nice piece.

I think the regular jacket has 3oz of down for comparison with others. The shell material makes it a little heavy, but also pretty durable. I prefer the Mont-Bell offerings. Check out the Mont-Bell UL Down Inner Jacket or Parka (2oz down) or the Mont-Bell Alpine Light Down Jacket or Parka (4oz down).

never pay more than 40 dollars for a down jacket.

Images

Patagucci carries the price tag. I have the montbell UL down jacket (no hood) very nice. They have a hooded version as welll.
    http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...0&p_id=2301133
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Hike smarter, not harder.

The Montbell ain't real cheap either. GoLite makes some similar jackets, I should check their web page and see if any are included in there 40% off online sale. I've danced around getting the Patagonia non-hooded all summer, just can't bring myself to pay the price. And I can get it for 50% off thru a professionial organization I belong to. Guess I'm a cheapskate.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

No the montbell arent cheap either. But at around 100 price difference that is a freakin bargin. Not bad mouthin Patagonia, but their prices really make me turn my head.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Prolitegear has their Mont-Bell Stuff on sale, the Mont-Bell Alpine Down Parka (4.2oz of 800 fill) is $133 and the UL Inner Down Parka (2.5oz of 800 fill) is $129

http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_...own_parka.html

http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_...ner_parka.html

I love my down sweater. I have gotten my money's worth out of it. It washes easily in the regular wash, too. The Montbell version looks every bit as good, maybe better. This type of jacket is all I ever need where I live. I'll never get another huge puffy again. (Unless I move.)
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

down sweeter is nice, the WM one is better. fits better and the material just feels better, cost more though

Images

I have the no hood sweater and it is absolutely perfect for me. Depending on conditions, I use 1 or 2 Icebreaker wool long sleeve shirts underneath and my Marmot Precip rain jacket outside of the Patagonia sweater. Been down well below 0 and never cold.

I was very reluctant for the retail price but lucked up and found it for 20% discount. Jumped on it and have never regretted it.

l0ngterm

Hike smarter, not harder.

Those MontBells look nice. Wonder how much down the Patagonia has?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Cool

Patagonia is expensive but blows other products out of the water. They stand behind their gear and are more aware of their environmental impact than most other manufacturers.

DWYWTDBWYWTBADWWOPS

(Do What You Want To Do, Buy What you Want To Buy, And Don't Worry What Other People Say)

The Patagonia Down Sweater has 3oz of down fill but weighs the same (or more) as the Mont-Bell Alpine Light Jacket with 4oz of down fill. Patagonia makes good clothes, but I fail to see how it blows other products out of the water. In fact if you want the best down garment in this weight class check out the Nunatak Skaha. It is pricey, but is fully baffled(unlike the Mont-Bell or Patagonia) and has more down than either. On the other hand for people with smaller budgets, Mont-Bell owns the lightweight insulation segment in my opinion. I would choose a Mont-Bell Down Jacket over Patagonia any day. Oh, and while I do have 2 Mont-Bell Down Jackets, I also have plenty of Patagonia Gear (R1 Pullover, Capaline, Micro Puff Pullover, R1 Pants, etc..) that is the best in segment, so I am not anti Patagonia, I just don't think that they are as good with down garments as others (Mont-Bell, Western Mountaineering, and Nunatak).

Here are some facts that may help you in your decision

Nunatak Skaha 4.5oz of 850 fill 9oz total weight $319 - The best of the bunch and fully baffled but $$$$$

Patagonia Down Sweater 3oz of 800 fill 12.4 oz total weight $200 - The extra weight comes from a heavier shell

Mont-Bell UL Down Inner Jacket 2oz of 800 fill 7.3 oz total weight $150 - The "gold standard" of UL insulating garments

Mont-Bell Alpine Light Down Jacket 4oz of 800 fill 11.3oz total weight $160 - nice jacket with 4oz of nice down

Mont-Bell Alpine Down Jacket 6oz of 800 fill 16oz total weight $180 - a steal for a fully baffled down jacket

Others to look at might be:

Mountain Hardwear Nitrous Down Jacket 12oz
    First Accent Downlight Sweater 13.4oz

Here are the clo(warmth) ratings for some of the jackets

Mont Bell UL Down Inner - 1.78
    Patagonia Down Pullover - 2.31
    Mont-Bell Alpine Light Jacket - 2.51
    Mont-Bell Alpine Jacket - 3.77

for comparison here are a few other non down garnets to help judge comparative warmth:

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover - 1.06
    Polartec 300 Jacket - 0.92
    Polartec 200 Jacket - 0.76
    Mont-Bell Thermawrap Jacket - 0.48

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++