WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default getting rid of the stink

I made it. But, my gear reeks. Horribly. I've washed my down bag, at the laundromat of course, and it's better than it was.

My pack though, man, it's awful. I've had it sitting outside on the porch and in the sun for about a week and it still smells. Is there a way to get rid of the stink? You can't wash a pack very well. Any ideas, past thruhikers?

Images

Default odor issue

Go to Sam's club or whatever you have....check in the cleaning section for gallon of stuff called Odor Ban. Use as directed. DON"T use more than the label states, more is NOT better w/this stuff. Repeated washes will work better than one dose of over indulgence. If all else fails, look for a odor killer for kennels in local hardware store or your local farm store.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

I fill up my bathtub and add Nikwax Tech Wash (as directed), and then I just keep dunking the pack over and over into the water. I do this for about 20 minutes, then I rinse the pack in the shower and hang it to dry. I am always amazed at how black the water gets and how dirty the pack actually was. Good luck.

Images

you can try adding a cup of white vinegar to your laundry. that really helps out w/ my stuff
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

WOW glad to see you made it pick!
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Blast it at a car wash.

Images

hm, some good ideas. Thank ya!

Accept it, and learn to enjoy it.

I'm serious. If you got the hiker blood in ya it would well be the best thing to realize, as the scent is never going away.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Around nine years ago, some godforsaken wretch put a big ole maggoty groundhog in my pack at Trail Days.

Didn't find it til the weekend was over.

Got a roll of quarters and a humungous thing of Febreeze and took the pack to the do-it-yourself car wash.

Took awhile, but it worked.

big daddy was his name

If your pack is frameless you can put it in the wash. Then line dry.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    big daddy was his name
    the ground hog or the car wash?

Images

congrats...the sweet smell of victory!!!
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

You could also try to put some cat litter into a large plastic garbage bag and put your bag in with it, seal it up for a week or so, and see what happens. When a freezer goes out and the food goes bad inside, putting cat litter into the freezer for a week is what is recommended to absorb rotten food odor. It needs to be a good quality clay litter.

Get a large contractor trash bag big enough to hold the pack and empty an entire jug of fast orange in there and toss your pack in. Add enough water to give the pumice some mobility and let it soak. Then knead it around a bit, let it sit some more and viola! Your pack will be squeeky dry.

I used this method to banish all kinds of
    1. skunk smell
    2. oil
    3. rotten smells.

It works like magic. You might need to nikwax the pack to restore the waterproofing.

Quote Originally Posted by crazypete View Post
    Get a large contractor trash bag big enough to hold the pack and empty an entire jug of fast orange in there and toss your pack in. Add enough water to give the pumice some mobility and let it soak. Then knead it around a bit, let it sit some more and viola! Your pack will be squeeky dry.

I used this method to banish all kinds of
    1. skunk smell
    2. oil
    3. rotten smells.

It works like magic. You might need to nikwax the pack to restore the waterproofing.

It must be magic because you go from soaking a pack in a bag full of water to squeaky dry (what is squeaky dry? I've heard of squeaky clean but not dry) without ever taking it out, rinsing the detergent off or anything...or am I missing something?
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

try "dead down wind" it's what hunters use to wash their clothes in.....used it on my dog who got into something dead worked great

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    It must be magic because you go from soaking a pack in a bag full of water to squeaky dry (what is squeaky dry? I've heard of squeaky clean but not dry) without ever taking it out, rinsing the detergent off or anything...or am I missing something?

Well, I figured the rinsing off (in the shower) and hanging it up to dry was obvious =)

I was just pointing out the grease/oil/grunge cutting power of fast orange

Default Synthetic Smells

Unfortunatly, the smell is locked into the molecular structure of the fibers used to make your pack. However, it does not penitrate the whole fiber, just the outside. Like the outside of a radish that is red, but the inside is white. As aposed to a carrot. Oxidation works fairly well to remove odor, and the outer surface of the fiber. Good luck and Congradulations on your hike!

The viniger idea is probably one of the best in the thread, basically it is an acid rinse. You could use more than one cup though. To actually get the smell out of the pack the fibers need to be oxidized, which is degredation from the outside in. Basically stripping the outer surface of the fiber away. It slightly degrades the physical properties, but it is worth it. Oxiclean comes to mind, but is expensive. I used a rubbermaid bin with about 5 gallons of really hot water to soak my pack when I finished. Add at least 10 bottles of hydrogen per oxide, 1 cup of desolved table salt, and 1/4 cup of dish deturgent as a surfactant. Wash the pack and let it soak over night, then rinse and hang to dry.

When I thru-hiked I usually added 2 bottles of hydrogen per oxide in the wash to rinse my clothes when doing laundry. After one rinse cycle, I would drain the water and then throw in the detergent for a full wash cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by crazypete View Post
    Well, I figured the rinsing off (in the shower) and hanging it up to dry was obvious =)

I was just pointing out the grease/oil/grunge cutting power of fast orange
    I was just giving you a hard time. I guess I thought the "" was obvious....
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++