WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Packs

Default Packs

What is an ideal weight for a pack? The pack itself without gear... like whats a weight I should look for? Does the weight of the pack without gear depend on whether I would be using an external or internal frame pack?
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 10-11-2009 at 21:55. Reason: corrected spelling

Hike smarter, not harder.

Varies wildly. ZPacks Blast 32 weighs 4.3 oz. Goes up from there. I think my Jam2 is 19 oz, Mariposa Plus is 24, and my ULA Circuit is 36 oz. At one time I had a GG Murmur at 8 or 10 oz. It's like the golden age of packs.

I'd have to say the weight of the pack is going to be pretty dependent on the weight and volume of the gear that goes in it.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RedRunnerJumper View Post
    What is an ideal weight for a pack? The pack itself without gear... like whats a weight I should look for? Does the weight of the pack without hear depend on whether I would be using an external or internal frame pack?
    There is no ideal pack for everything. Otherwise we'd all be carrying the same pack, and there would be peace and love and happiness all over Whiteblaze.

There are plenty of good packs that weigh around 3 pounds empty, have a good internal frame, and carry everything you need for a 3-season AT hike. Something in the 3500-4000 cubic inch range is a good place to start. Examples: Gregory Z series; Osprey Exos, Atmos/Aura, and Aether/Ariel series; several ULA packs, REI Flash 65; and plenty more.

The usual advice is to buy the pack last -- that is, get all your other gear, then buy a pack which will carry it all comfortably. This is good advice.

Given the wide range in pack weights, here is another piece of advice -- Don't buy a really light or really heavy pack. A really heavy pack (heavier than 5 pounds) isn't necessary for most AT hiking. A very light pack (less than a pound) generally won't carry a beginner's gear and clothing comfortably. The extremely light packs are totally frameless -- which works well for an experienced hiker with very little gear and clothing -- but not so well for beginners.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

One way to approach this question is to determine your hiking needs/goals. For instance, if your goal is weekend overnighters, the ULA Circuit at 36 oz. would be a great choice. For an extended hike, such as a long section hike or thru hike, the ULA Catalyst (43 oz.) or Granite Gear Ozone Nimbus (48 oz. without top lid) would be excellent choices. I mention these particular packs because they are the ones I have lots of personal experience with.

Does the weight of the pack without gear depend on whether I would be using an external or internal frame pack?
    Not really - both designs can handle sufficient weight. Internal frame packs seem to be more common nowadays.

Skinewmexico is right on - this is the golden age of packs. There are many great options to consider. Have fun shopping!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    There is no ideal pack for everything.
    Amen.

.......Otherwise we'd all be carrying the same pack, and there would be peace and love and happiness all over Whiteblaze. .......
    You're such an optomist.

A very light pack (less than a pound) generally won't carry a beginner's gear and clothing comfortably. The extremely light packs are totally frameless -- which works well for an experienced hiker with very little gear and clothing -- but not so well for beginners.
    BigCranky is right on with this. A very light pack usually means less support and suspension, and hence, not as comfortable to carry. The key is finding balance in the suspension and support of your pack versus the load you're carrying in the pack to achieve a comfortable carry. There are tons of good packs out there, you just have to find the one that works for you and your gear.

As someone else has already pointed out, definitely get your other gear first. A pack should be one of your last major purchases when gearing up for backpacking. Once you have all your gear together, take it with you to a reputable, serious outfitter. Avoid places such as Dick's, Sports Authority, Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain like the plague. They generally have no clue how to help you find the right pack for your needs or how to measure you for the right size pack. Get ideas and suggestions from a good, solid, reputable outfitter as to the right pack for you and your purpose and then try 'em on. Stuff your gear into packs and try them one at a time until you find the right pack for you. It may take a while, but you'll eventually find the right back with the right balance for you.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Amen.

You're such an optomist.
    Spoken like a true cynic! I think we'd all be holding hands, and singing "Kumbaya".
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

What is an ideal weight for a pack?
    A different, but related, question might be "What is the ideal fit and comfort for a pack?"

Because people are dynamically four-dimensional, what fits and feels good on one person may fit and feel awful on another. And it's more than merely measuring the distance from one particular vertebrate to another (or the weight of the pack).

My belly may be different from yours. Someone else's hips flare out more (or not at all). Another's shoulders slope differently. And no one's spine curves exactly the same. And so on.

I have a Gregory Reality that fits like a glove. I can hardly tell I have it on, even loaded. But it's 5 lbs without the top compartment. I have an REI UL 60, which weighs 2 lbs less and fits okay, but not the same. Which should I use of these two? I'm still not always sure!

Just don't get too hung up on weight alone, nor what works for anyone else. Boots and packs are the two things where fit and comfort are very, very important. So, as in most things, you are left with a balancing act.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Get gear lined up first, pack last.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

There is no ideal pack for everything. Otherwise we'd all be carrying the same pack, and there would be peace and love and happiness all over Whiteblaze.

LOL, bigcranky is right here

But some recommendations - if you are looking for a pack for an AT thru-hike you can find plenty of them with the features you want, comfortable, around 3200-4000 cubes, that weigh under 4 lbs empty(some less or around 3 lbs), and that will cost less than $200

Because people are dynamically four-dimensional...

I like that Rainman - dynamically four dimensional - had to think about that one for a while

Alright thanks guys for the input towards packs for thru-hiking. Ima read around somemore and check out reviews n such.

Images

this is some great advice. No matter how eager you are to get a pack, fill it, and get out there to try it, resist the urge. Take your time, do your research, and really look into the weight of your potential gear. The less it weighs, the better it will feel on your back, but it all depends on how comfortable you want to be in regards to gear. Someone on WB says, "the less gear I carry, the more I like hiking. The more gear I carry, the more I like camping." If you go super ultralight, you might not be comfortable sleeping in your choice of shelter, etc.

I started my thruhike this year with at least 40 lbs. of stuff. Yep, I'm 5'1" and female. Ouch. But, I didn't have a ton of money to spend on super expensive lightweight gear. I'm definitely not an Ultra-lighter, by any means, but I pared down a ton of stuff from my pack throughout the course of my hike and ended up carrying about 20lbs without food and water.

A lot of people change packs during their hikes too, which isnt always feasible, but if it is, it can help. Once you ditch the cold weather gear and the extra "stuff" in your pack, you can downsize to a smaller, lighter pack, and hopefully you can continue to use the smaller one even after adding the cold gear back into the pack up north. By the time you're ready to change, maybe in VA, you have your gear down to a science and you may be able to get away with a pack with less "frills", or less padding on it- ie. less weight. By that point your body is used to carrying a pack, your shoulders and hips don't hurt so much, and also, the pack you start with may not even fit by then depending on how much your body changes (weight loss, muscle gain). This also depends on whether or not your hip belt and shoulder harness are able to be taken off and switched to a different size.

Really, really, really do your research, find one that works for you, even if that means 20 stores and 50 different packs. Go to a good outfitter, with all of your gear.

Who cares what it weighs empty ?
    I look for 40 lbs full down here.
    The pack is close to ten ' empty".
    I want comfort and ease of access for things.
    The big name laundry sacks don't cut it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Just don't get too hung up on weight alone, nor what works for anyone else. Boots and packs are the two things where fit and comfort are very, very important. So, as in most things, you are left with a balancing act.

RainMan

This is so true. Sometimes the weight of the pack has very little to do with how it feels when you're carrying it. Last year on the PCT I started with a frameless pack and suffered because it didn't fit well and couldn't handle my heavy loads of water. The pack weighed about a pound and a half empty.

I swapped it for an internal frame pack, an Osprey Aura, that weighed 3+ pounds and suddenly everything felt way lighter than before and I had no more back pain.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

I should add that my Osprey pack weighs 5 lbs empty, and my Lowe Alpine weighs maybe 4.

Even if your gear is pretty lightweight in pieces, make sure your pack can handle the load comfortably. I saw people with GoLite packs or other lightweight models, and then they had 40 lbs of stuff in them, that defeats the purpose, and makes them really uncomfortable. It's like carrying 40 lbs. but cutting your toothbrush in half to save weight.. it's doesnt make a difference at that point.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doooglas View Post
    Who cares what it weighs empty ?
    I look for 40 lbs full down here.
    The pack is close to ten ' empty".
    I want comfort and ease of access for things.
    The big name laundry sacks don't cut it for me.

Yeah I thought that too with my 7lb clunker until after two months of hiking the trail with lots of difficulty and an injury - the laundry sack pack looked and felt mighty good...
    Actually mine was a bit more than that, a Gregory Jade, but it weighed 2 1/2 lbs.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The weight of the pack will coorelate fairly closely to the weight you will be carrying and the required volume vs comfort. Should be able to do most anything reasonable with a 3# pack.

You need to get your gear togther weigh it, stuff it and see how much volume you need.

If you can keep your base weight at 5-6# and its a 3 day hike you can get away with a 4oz Zpack.

Under 25-30# total weight and compact gear, you can do with 16oz -24 oz roughly depending.
    Internal frame if you want comfort for heavier loads. Mariposa plus is a good UL pack in this catagory and good up to 30#.

For 30-40# you are going to definately want some sort of internal frame for weight transfer if you want it to be comfortable. Then you are getting into heavier packs maybe 2-3#.

Over 40# means you probably have more, bulkier and or heavier equipment, like in winter, so you need more volume, better frame, better suspension etc. Heavier still.

I dont know where the break is for an external frame pack, but maybe around 50# or so.

Personally these days I dont want any more than 25# on my back.

This ULA link will give you a good idea of weight vs volume vs load capacity.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/packoverview.asp

Between 17 oz and 7lbs for me, depending on what is in it. YMMV.

What is an ideal weight for a pack? The pack itself without gear... like whats a weight I should look for? Does the weight of the pack without hear depend on whether I would be using an external or internal frame pack?
    This is the best pack I've ever used for lightweight hiking:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...wn_review.html
    I have a large and hiked with 9 days worth of gear and food for Sept. in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. It uses a length of closed cell foam for the "frame" and carries up to about 26 lbs. (ideally) comfortably. My trip last fall took it to its limit at about 32-34 lbs.
    Since I hammock I use the frame pad as a doormat or sit pad. It doubled once in a shelter when a moose got a little too close to my hammock for comfort.
    I'm stumped as to why Golite discontinued it - too simple, maybe?
    I guess bells and whistles sell packs as well as other gear, but neither bells nor whistles are weightless .
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

You'll find out how well you've chosen gear after a few trips going up and down. You really won't know what you like until you use it.
    Then, like the rest you make changes as you can afford it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++