Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: heavy daypack

  1. #1
    Registered User mad4scrapping's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-30-2009
    Location
    richmond,virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    185
    Images
    12

    Default heavy daypack

    When I put the 10 essentials in my daypack, plus the water bladder (empty) and some snacks, my pack weights in at 6.5 pounds! I'm using a North Face Ion 20, which I love. The pack is still comfortable on my back, but this seems a little heavy. Or is this right?
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

  2. #2
    Formerly "Totem"
    Join Date
    01-03-2008
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,446
    Images
    6

    Default

    10 essentials?
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

  3. #3
    Registered User Egads's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-09-2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,619
    Images
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mad4scrapping View Post
    When I put the 10 essentials in my daypack, plus the water bladder (empty) and some snacks, my pack weights in at 6.5 pounds! I'm using a North Face Ion 20, which I love. The pack is still comfortable on my back, but this seems a little heavy. Or is this right?
    Doesn't seem right. You definitely have opportunity to drop some pack weight.

    Post your list and we'll provide some suggestions
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

  4. #4
    Registered User mad4scrapping's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-30-2009
    Location
    richmond,virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    185
    Images
    12

    Default

    Here's what's in my pack: (more than just the 10 essentials!)

    first aid kit (with extra ibuprofen)
    rain jacket (very small, folds into its own pouch)
    small knife/carabiner
    compass (looks like a watch)
    whistle
    bandana
    bag of trail mix (lunchbag size)
    two fiber one bars
    small notebook and pen
    Book: Circuit hikes in SNP
    empty Camelback 2 liter bladder
    small digital camera in case
    baseball cap (I wear this)
    dog leash (dog will use this)
    6 oz. Repel
    chapstick
    pocketpack of Kleenex
    small wallet with credit cards and id
    moleskin
    space blanket
    1 oz sunscreen
    travelpack of wet wipes
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

  5. #5
    Registered User mad4scrapping's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-30-2009
    Location
    richmond,virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    185
    Images
    12

    Default

    I should also mention that I usually hike by myself, so I have to bring everything myself.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

  6. #6
    Registered User Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,440
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mad4scrapping View Post
    Here's what's in my pack: (more than just the 10 essentials!)

    first aid kit (with extra ibuprofen) Dump bandaids-add Loperamide for disentary,
    rain jacket (very small, folds into its own pouch) weight? OK
    small knife/carabiner
    compass (looks like a watch)
    whistle
    bandana
    bag of trail mix (lunchbag size)
    two fiber one bars
    small notebook and pen
    Book: Circuit hikes in SNP
    empty Camelback 2 liter bladder
    small digital camera in case
    baseball cap (I wear this)
    dog leash (dog will use this)
    6 oz. Repel mini version of deep woods off pump
    chapstick
    pocketpack of Kleenex toilet paper (have it)
    small wallet with credit cards and id
    moleskin
    space blanket Sucks - replace with something better even if its a down bag.
    1 oz sunscreen
    travelpack of wet wipes
    From experience.
    micro pack of Propel or fitness /Gatorade additive.
    1 extra pair of hinking socks.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  7. #7
    Registered User mad4scrapping's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-30-2009
    Location
    richmond,virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    185
    Images
    12

    Default

    Thanks WWO.
    I do have the Loperamide (Immodium) in there already! I carry them everywhere. Why ditch the bandaids?
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

  8. #8
    Registered User Egads's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-09-2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,619
    Images
    79

    Default

    It's kinda hard to really say what you can eliminate since I don't know where you hike, the weather conditions, the distance you hike, how well marked the trails are, how well traveled the trails are, your health, the ruggedness of the area, & your skill & experience level.

    Most of my hikes are day or weekend longer distance than the average hiker, on well marked trails, and I travel light & fast.

    My comments are in blue and are related to day hikes only


    first aid kit (with extra ibuprofen) pack benedryl, ibuprofen, antacid, band aids
    rain jacket (very small, folds into its own pouch) I carry a frogg togg top ~10 ozs
    small knife/carabiner I don't carry
    compass (looks like a watch) I don't carry
    whistle I don't carry
    bandana I don't carry
    bag of trail mix (lunchbag size) I don't carry
    two fiber one bars
    small notebook and pen I don't carry
    Book: Circuit hikes in SNP I don't carry
    empty Camelback 2 liter bladder
    small digital camera in case I rarely carry
    baseball cap (I wear this)
    dog leash (dog will use this)
    6 oz. Repel I don't carry
    chapstick
    pocketpack of Kleenex I don't carry
    small wallet with credit cards and id
    moleskin I don't carry
    space blanket I don't carry
    1 oz sunscreen I don't carry
    travelpack of wet wipes[/quote] I don't carry

    I don't see fire, a head lamp, or stocking cap on your list. I usually carry Aquamira to treat water

    I add a Montbell Innerdown parka & tarp when it starts cooling off
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2009
    Location
    Ashburnham, MA
    Age
    77
    Posts
    1,951
    Images
    2

    Default

    What wise old owl said minus:
    wet wipes -- how many do you need? save a couple ounces by taking fewer or none?
    How much does your first aid kit weigh?
    Book: copy the pages you need.

    Maybe you can get away without in Virginia, but up here unless it's a short local hike you need to add:
    On a nice summer day add warm clothes, at least a fleece jacket. In the higher mountains up here (Adirondack, Green, Whites) add at least a hat. Those add about a pound.
    Spring and Fall, add perhaps another layer such as long johns or a vest. In some places on a bad spring or fall day add full winter gear.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2009
    Location
    Ashburnham, MA
    Age
    77
    Posts
    1,951
    Images
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    ...
    ]I don't see a head lamp
    ...
    Egads, I didn't notice that: no light! Definitely bring a flashlight or headlamp. I like to carry a good headlamp and for backup a cheap ($1) photon type squeeze lamp (attached to my car keys). My only near disasters were caused by not carrying a light in winter. It would be really embarrassing to suffer cold injuries or death a mile from home because of no light.

  11. #11
    Registered User mad4scrapping's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-30-2009
    Location
    richmond,virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    185
    Images
    12

    Default

    Good point on the headlamp. I'll go "borrow" my daughter's.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

  12. #12
    Registered User Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,440
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mad4scrapping View Post
    Thanks WWO.
    I do have the Loperamide (Immodium) in there already! I carry them everywhere. Why ditch the bandaids?

    When if ever, do you need them. the TP will dry them out.

  13. #13
    Registered User Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,440
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    It's kinda hard to really say what you can eliminate since I don't know where you hike, the weather conditions, the distance you hike, how well marked the trails are, how well traveled the trails are, your health, the ruggedness of the area, & your skill & experience level.

    Most of my hikes are day or weekend longer distance than the average hiker, on well marked trails, and I travel light & fast.

    My comments are in blue and are related to day hikes only

    first aid kit (with extra ibuprofen) pack benedryl, ibuprofen, antacid, band aids
    rain jacket (very small, folds into its own pouch) I carry a frogg togg top ~10 ozs
    small knife/carabiner I don't carry
    compass (looks like a watch) I don't carry
    whistle I don't carry
    bandana I don't carry
    bag of trail mix (lunchbag size) I don't carry
    two fiber one bars
    small notebook and pen I don't carry
    Book: Circuit hikes in SNP I don't carry
    empty Camelback 2 liter bladder
    small digital camera in case I rarely carry
    baseball cap (I wear this)
    dog leash (dog will use this)
    6 oz. Repel I don't carry
    chapstick
    pocketpack of Kleenex I don't carry
    small wallet with credit cards and id
    moleskin I don't carry
    space blanket I don't carry
    1 oz sunscreen I don't carry
    travelpack of wet wipes
    I don't carry

    I don't see fire, a head lamp, or stocking cap on your list. I usually carry Aquamira to treat water

    I add a Montbell Innerdown parka & tarp when it starts cooling off
    [/quote]

    wow, Ok I was playing nice.... I agree - but can I take pictures?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  14. #14
    Hiker bigcranky's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-22-2002
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Age
    58
    Posts
    7,906
    Images
    296

    Default

    You are worried that your daypack weighs 6.5 pounds? Seriously? That's fine -- enjoy your hikes. My daypack usually weighs 25 or 30, what with the cameras, tripod, maybe a spotting scope, field guides, etc.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

  15. #15
    Registered User Egads's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-09-2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,619
    Images
    79

    Default

    Mad4scrapping,

    How much does your daypack weigh? May be some opportunity there.

    Here is a link to my 15 oz day pack
    http://www.gearzone.com/Salomon-Raid.../187-10511.htm
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

  16. #16
    Registered User Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    14,440
    Journal Entries
    19
    Images
    16

    Default

    Everyone will at some point come full circle here, when all you need is a bottle of water and a camera and don't care about the weather. 15 miles and a tilly hat, and gorp is all you need.

    Ain't life grand?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

    Woo

  17. #17
    Registered User mad4scrapping's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-30-2009
    Location
    richmond,virginia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    185
    Images
    12

    Default

    Thanks, Big Cranky, I needed to hear that too!

    I think the scale was wrong; I just tried the stuff on another scale and it was alot lighter.

    Anyway, I"m off to SNP tomorrow. I hope to get on and off the trail before the holiday crowd arrives.

    Thanks for the good advice.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

  18. #18
    Registered User Egads's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-09-2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,619
    Images
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mad4scrapping View Post
    I think the scale was wrong; I just tried the stuff on another scale and it was alot lighter.
    That works too. Have a good hike
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

  19. #19
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-14-2005
    Location
    Virginia, 10 miles from the AT near SNP
    Age
    57
    Posts
    10,470
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    You are worried that your daypack weighs 6.5 pounds? Seriously?
    That's kind of of what I thought but I wasn't going to say anything.
    I mean, yourlist looked perfectly fine to me, its what I carry. You carry what you need to be safe. But a headlamp is a must.







    Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker


  20. #20
    Hiker bigcranky's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-22-2002
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Age
    58
    Posts
    7,906
    Images
    296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    That's kind of of what I thought but I wasn't going to say anything.
    Yeah, well, I have a hard time keeping whatever thought that crosses my mind from coming out my mouth. Or my keyboard.

    To the OP: no offense meant. 6.5 pounds is pretty light for a dayhike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •