WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Blackrocks Hut

Images

this is one of the most over-used shelters i've seen on the trail. people there almost every night in the summer; the fall is just absurd with dozens of weekenders packed in like sardines. it's no wonder that the park has to set up make-shift fences so things don't get trampled to death in the fall.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The crap there is unreal too. I took out a bunch of junk last year.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Was just there for a brief stop last weekend. The water was a trickle and there was a ton of trash in the firepit. Still thought it was a nice stop though. Lots of space around it and the privy was decent.

Had the shelter all to myslef, other then the rat... he is either there or one of his offspring. Swept lots of rat turds out of the shelter... might have been less crowded then others had experienced because of the snow.

Journal Entries

Thanks to whomever left the container to catch the water which made it easier to pump. The water was adequate. The tentsites were magnificent. We spent an hour up on Black Rocks before going down into the shelter area, enjoying the sunshine and the view. It's a great place to be. I did not stay in the shelter because it was packed, but the tentsites make the location worth the stay. We were there in the summer of 2010.

Stayed there on a cold day in April 2011. I think the high temp for the day was 32 deg. My buddy was freezing and found a sleeping bag in the shelter. He climbed in and said that it had become one of the happiest days in his life since he was finally so very warm after being freezing cold. I wonder if the bag is still there?

Stayed at the Blackrock Hut Shelter on May 12th. Besides my group of 4 section hikers, there were 2 long distance section hikers, and an overnight hike couple with a big husky on a Saturday night.

Per the shelter log, the pest rat was caught and killed a few months ago. Nobody heard or saw any indication a new one had moved in.

Spring was flowing great. 1 privy & 2 bear poles. There are only a couple tent sites near the shelter. The shelter map listed some more a short distance behind the shelter, but I didn't go far enough to see them.

Lots of deer in the valley where this shelter is. From the shelter at dusk we saw several up the valley. When I got up in the middle of the night to relieve myself, I spooked one grazing not 50 ft from the shelter. Someone else spotted one taking a nap later in the night next to the fire pit.

Images

Just made trip to Blackrock hut 10/26/12 and spring was running fair - 1 liter/ 30 seconds. Also Calf Mt. Hut had spring running at rate of 1 liter/45 sec.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++