WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Whiteblaze - the next step

We've seen quite a few changes here. Is Whiteblaze evolving from a AT hikers forum to just another social website?
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

2010 complete

just look at the threads that get the most post such as "pm's are not private"

vs Morgan Briggs and how his backcountry expertise saved his life.

Images

One big pissing contest is what WB has become (for the most part).

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    We've seen quite a few changes here. Is Whiteblaze evolving from a AT hikers forum to just another social website?
    more of a Trailplace site

just a bunch of folks trading stories around the campfire. once you get right foot, left foot, repeat down, then stories is what's left.

the internet makes some of the stories a little more interesting is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    sort of, but with a little less peace

Whiteblaze -- a wholly owned subsidiary of Facebook.

Images

How is it possible to sum up what people get out of this site, and why would anyone want to? Nobody's hands but your own are on the mouse and keyboard, at least that's how I learned to use the internets. So much hand-wringing going on today.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

i mostly come here for the babes.

When I'm hiking with others, most of the conversation isn't about hiking. When I'm hiking by myself a vast majority of my thoughts are not about hiking. This is also true with my cycling tours.

I know some can talk endlessly about hiking related stuff, but I can't.
    If the powers-that-be of this website were to limit ALL talk to hiking stuff that's their choice, but the activity would go way down.

The problem isn't all the extra curricular discussions, it's the emotionally unstable element, which comes out regardless if we are talking about fishing or the definition of a thru-hiker.

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    What do you propose to make it more of a hiking web site?
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    What do you propose to make it more of a hiking web site?
    Less posting, more hiking. . .

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Less posting, more hiking. . .
    the irony of this post is staggering... makes me wanna go kick some kittens and eat their brains......

Angry Need a new forum?...

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    How is it possible to sum up what people get out of this site, and why would anyone want to? Nobody's hands but your own are on the mouse and keyboard, at least that's how I learned to use the internets. So much hand-wringing going on today.
    Ed, maybe you can set up a W&B (Whiners & Bellyachers) forum here at WB. to allow these disaffected posters to vent. Lots of complaints about this site, and former sites: eg.- Trailplace, but how many complainers have offered to help out with these sites. It takes a lot of work, not to mention $$$, to maintain a website like WB and the BS and stress that attroll and the moderators have to deal with must get pretty intense at times. Add in the problems brought about by the recession, everyday family problems, etc., and I am amazed how you guys, and gals (pardon my non-pc sexism ) can deal with it!

Personally, I can't offer too much in the way of financial support, and my ancient laptop and connection is not up to the task of being a moderator, so all I can do is attempt to (sometimes not too successfully! ) make posts that contribute to the spirit of the Appalachian Trail experience (the hiking of which, by the way, has been described as a SOCIAL, and outdoor experience), that WB is trying to make enjoyable for all interested members of this website.

I have taken much useful information from WB, and in turn, have tried to contribute what I can that is within the spirit and topic range of WB.

Pardon my venting...I'm going to go away now for awhile and try to figure out what I can do to help the WB site.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    the irony of this post is staggering... makes me wanna go kick some kittens and eat their brains......

Bizarre Foods with Saimyoji? Call the Travel Channel.
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

don't overthink it, it's just another hiking forum.
    you're better off hiking, and enjoying life, than spending your time on here talking about what could be, or has been

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    don't overthink it, it's just another hiking forum.
    you're better off hiking, and enjoying life, than spending your time on here talking about what could be, or has been
    LW is dead right. And Dave is a tragically right: WB is now just another hiking forum. It was special for a long time, and now, yeah, it TrailPlace without Dan. Worth reading to find out about some gear, and events along the trail, and maybe whether a shelter or hostel or motel is open, closed, or inbetween. In short, it's a guidebook, but you have to be on line to see it. Those who don't know what it was, and could still be, think it's about complaining and flaming. It's not. But this is what it is. A good place to learn about beer can stoves, and how to behave in a hostel. Things that are not without worth, but hardly unique.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++