WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

And extremely cavalier with other people's business.. . . . .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chefjason View Post

Is that how you got your name in green? i want MY name in green! I am sooo full of envy right now!
    Yeah, try it!
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    ATTroll and Rock have deleted many posts while moderating WB. Including some of your posts; And mine for that matter.

You're being silly and misleading.
    Oh snap ya'll. I just noticed his^^^^^^^ name is in black! So, Skidsteer is an admin? AND a Georgia Boy?! Sweet! I got an in!

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    Yeah, try it!
    In this economy? If I give money online I expect to see a UPS truck dropping off a box in my drive way within three to five business days!

Quote Originally Posted by chefjason View Post
    In this economy? If I give money online I expect to see a UPS truck dropping off a box in my drive way within three to five business days!
    it's 10 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    Those days are gone. I can understand that some restraint is needed at times but Dave sure was fun!
    These 2 posts to the picture gallery he made a couple weeks ago survived (all his posts to the forums were deleted). These should also be deleted as inappropriate.

Although I have to admit I laughed when I read them.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    These 2 posts to the picture gallery he made a couple weeks ago survived (all his posts to the forums were deleted). These should also be deleted as inappropriate.

Although I have to admit I laughed when I read them.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...2301#post12301

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Maybe Buck Turgidson actually started Whiteblaze. You could make it the Defensive and Enormously Fighting Ersatz Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts or DEFECATE.
    I like it.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    it's 10 bucks
    No longer worth the price!
    Moses

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmountainman View Post
    No longer worth the price!
    Then what are you doing here?
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Being silly has never been a disqualifier here, so if I am, well, when you buy the ticket, you get the whole ride.

Misleading? In the days before the Politics Forums - and that's what I meant, so I'm sorry for not being clear on that - I doubt that they deleted more than a few, if any postings here. Someone in charge? I think ATTroll and Sgt Rock acted more like guides than bosses, and they did it well.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Default The next step...

Eliminate religious references -- I think it would be more respectful to everyone if religious posts, quotes, signatures were left out of the hiking forum. I respect everyone right to keep their beliefs to themselves. Just my opinion.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Get rid of the mods...the old WB is sorely missed.
    For the most part, there didn't need to be mods because everyone was civil (except Easy's drukin' rants, but those were removed before many even saw them.....sounds like a mod...), now most threads become un-civil after a handful of posts. That almost never happened back in "the old days".

I see three eras in WB history...

"Early Days" -- when folks were civil (even in water crossing threads) and most of the talk was about backpacking/hiking and public comments rarely were directed at an individual. There were disagreements and differing opinions, but rarely, if ever, "attacks".

"Dark Days" -- complete insanity and chaos with little hiking talk and even the most benign topic resulted in personal insults to posters and often added nothing to a thread.

"Now" -- nothing like the "Early Days", more like "Dark Days"-lite. But still an improvement. Still way too many personal attacks and not enough discussion.

Not sure of the exact dates for each of those "eras", but "now" seems to have started within the past year. And "Early Days" probably ended in late 2005? 2006?

The biggest issue was that the "Dark Days" era was permitted to run for such a long period of time. In fact, some of it still creeps in from time to time. So, maybe it isn't truly over yet...
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Nah. It's more like :

"Early Days" - when people could say what was on their minds.

"Whiney Days" - when people complained to admins CONSTANTLY because something was said that they disagreed with.

"Post-Whiney Days" - when people left in droves because the whiney people won.....and still whine.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

Images

TLBJ --

You've pretty much encapsulated it, and you were here in the early periods, too. And yes, now I recall a few of Easy's posts being deleted largely because of some issues that involved the transfer of the site from him, and as a result really didn't belong here. I don't think it was censorship as much as embarassment that led to them being deleted.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by babbage View Post
    Eliminate religious references -- I think it would be more respectful to everyone if religious posts, quotes, signatures were left out of the hiking forum. I respect everyone right to keep their beliefs to themselves. Just my opinion.
    Trolling??
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

I think this has been mentioned before by others in one form or another....

Part of why seems a bit borning now (and maybe why the "Dark Days" started) is there isn't a whole lot to talk about WRT hiking/backpacking/AT/thru-hiking, etc. The whole subject mater is quite small and very little changes from year-to-year. So, "regulars" get bored and start to bring up OT posts, personal attacks, etc. I'm sure the same would happen if we were all on the trail together for 7 years. Even if we were only a "group" for 8 hours a day.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    He is pretty active on facebook.

Fun fact: I was his original transcriber, during his abbreviated 2002 hike. He sent me a t-shirt from Neels Gap and we chatted on the phone a few times.
    Are you sure that fact was fun?

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Being silly has never been a disqualifier here . . .
    Thank God.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Well, I only joined a month ago. I was directed to the site by someone I met at Roan High Knob Shelter. I have been nothing but happy to get on everyday to read, learn and be entertained. I think this site is wonderful!
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."~ John Muir, Author and Naturalist

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Happy Jack View Post
    Well, I only joined a month ago. I was directed to the site by someone I met at Roan High Knob Shelter. I have been nothing but happy to get on everyday to read, learn and be entertained. I think this site is wonderful!
    Welcome! I'm sure you'll find both information and entertainment here, in varying degrees.

So much for all of those people who keep insisting that no one on the trail even knows about whiteblaze . . .
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Happy Jack View Post
    I am with ya there THJ. I have only been on here for a monthor so, but am having quite a good time, for now. Till some bone head with their name in red or black puts the smack down on me.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++