WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images

WB used to be a fairly anti-social social website. Then enough folks complained so moderators started working hard to keep it more focused on being an AT Hikers forum.

Take your pick.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

The 'anti-social' days stemmed from the Politics forums, which wisely were abandoned. Before that, it was a very unique place, without being anti-social. Someday perhaps the pendulum will swing back to that kind of place.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You get a hiker forum, people complain its boring.

You get a social forum, people say its fighting and complain no one is talking about hiking.

No one is happy, no matter what you do.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    No one is happy, no matter what you do.
    Well, I keep hoping at least SOME people are happy.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    happy happy here!

jnanagardener

I've only recently joined WB and I am impressed and thankful for the great information. From where I sit it looks like hiking is still front and center and the moderators do a great job of preserving the focus of threads AND WITHOUT JUDGMENT (something that is a way cool bonus!) Will I ever thru-hike the AT, like I proudly declared to my students on the first day of class last week in a discussion about our "bucket-lists"? Well I can occasionally hike locally and check Whiteblaze to keep the fire burning!

I'm happy with WB. I join discussions I'm interested in (mostly hiking) and ignore the others. Through WB, I've met other hikers/lovers of outdoors. Does that make it a "social" network? I don't care - WB is what it is. What's the big deal?

Images

Put me on your list of happy people. My remaining grievances are minor and I believe they will be resolved in time.

Complaining seems to be how some people let the rest of the world know they are still alive. Since I can't figure out what people are complaining about most of the time, it may be possible they don't know either or can't communicate it.

Images

I love all the information that WB has provided me....While my thru hike must wait till 2016 I love the AT and want to learn all I can before my adventure begins.

As with any gathering of folks you will have the whiners and the know it alls and those that always have to have the last word.......Ignore 'em, they will go away sooner or later. No point stressing over it because they only person you have control of is yourself.
    Thank you to all those that make WB a great site.
    Tracy "Noah" Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    When I'm hiking with others, most of the conversation isn't about hiking. When I'm hiking by myself a vast majority of my thoughts are not about hiking. This is also true with my cycling tours.

I know some can talk endlessly about hiking related stuff, but I can't.
    If the powers-that-be of this website were to limit ALL talk to hiking stuff that's their choice, but the activity would go way down.

The problem isn't all the extra curricular discussions, it's the emotionally unstable element, which comes out regardless if we are talking about fishing or the definition of a thru-hiker.
    UNUSUALLY BIG LETTERS ARE AN EYESORE. I USUALLY DON'T READ POSTS WITH BIG LETTERS.
    Sorry, John.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    We've seen quite a few changes here. Is Whiteblaze evolving from a AT hikers forum to just another social website?
    Yeah. A social website for people who like to hike.
    Would it be better if it were antisocial?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

It is a website for Appalachian Trail Enthusuiasts. What are you?
    There are other websites.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    just look at the threads that get the most post such as "pm's are not private"

vs Morgan Briggs and how his backcountry expertise saved his life.
    Well, I think some of that has to do with the fact that there are some threads where no posts other than those thanking the original poster are necessary, and others where the asked for information is given in the first page or so, obviating the need for more posts. "PM's are not private," on the other hand, could keep going until we're all dead.

Quote Originally Posted by truthisnature View Post
    I love all the information that WB has provided me....While my thru hike must wait till 2016 I love the AT and want to learn all I can before my adventure begins.

As with any gathering of folks you will have the whiners and the know it alls and those that always have to have the last word.......Ignore 'em, they will go away sooner or later. No point stressing over it because they only person you have control of is yourself.
    Thank you to all those that make WB a great site.
    Here's the thing -- I see an awful lot of people write that whiteblaze is informative and helpful. Does it need to be more than that? Entertaining is nice, once in a while. Overall, I think whiteblaze has, and continues to have, the right mix going on.

But to be perfectly honest, truthisnature, I'm never going away.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    more of a Trailplace site

NOT by a long shot. Goodnight Folks.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

It is what it is and it won't stay like it is now for long. Life without growth is decay and death soon follows. I'm new and there's more coming or this site will eventually just fold. With each new person the overall atmosphere will change and it will be good or it will suck get stale and be forgotten. There seems to be allot of "old timers" and new folks too. Some folks get worked up over a post then the same crowd is commenting together to help a newbie like me out. Seems allot like family on here way better than facebook or twitter. Families vent and rage but in the end they stick together for each other. Thanks to you all and God Bless Whiteblaze

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

I used to be happy, but I got over it.........
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    I used to be happy, but I got over it.........
    I got over it, now I am happy.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brandt Robinson View Post
    Will I ever thru-hike the AT, like I proudly declared to my students on the first day of class last week in a discussion about our "bucket-lists"? Well I can occasionally hike locally and check Whiteblaze to keep the fire burning!

...and WB (and hiking websites) aren't just for thru-hikers. Get out there, have fun and share your stories when you get back. I've hiked x amount of miles and I am still learning!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    UNUSUALLY BIG LETTERS ARE AN EYESORE. I USUALLY DON'T READ POSTS WITH BIG LETTERS.
    Sorry, John.
    I promise I'll never post again before my first cup of coffee, therefore I'll always be happy, happy, happy

Default happy happy! joy joy!

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    happy happy here!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++