WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default PM’s are not private!

I don’t know what the original intent of the PM function was, but to me it’s nothing more than another form of email. And much of what I receive in this email account is SPAM from other WB’ers.

Every time I say something that pisses someone off they feel as though they need to "set me straight". I’m sick of it and I don’t see one problem in publicly posting that SPAM.

My PM box has a function, don’t abuse it because you’re a little too thin-skinned.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well John I don't believe I have ever "tried" to set u straight, but when I saw the title of the thread- it turned out to be about something else.

Its the internet what did you expect?

So what happened this time... who's the unlucky Pmmmer?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

well....you can turn your PMs off.....or just take your own advice.....laugh off the wienies who can't take it and delete their PMs as they come. honestly, the fact that you're ranting like this here says alot about you not being much better then the ones you're ranting about.

Journal Entries
    Images

You might have the right, but I am thinking it better to move on.

I received a spat of most unwelcome e-mails over the past couple days as well. On reflection, I concluded that while the sentiments behind them were completely off base, there were genuine feelings behind them.

Best to leave such sleeping dogs lie, I think.

Posting the correspondence you received wouldn't serve a higher purpose, but it might cause real hurt. There are some fragile flowers out there.

Journal Entries
    Images

It does say something about John, We don't know each other but you are on a social web hosting group about backpacking. Reviewing your posts in the last ten minutes, There is no surprise here, In person I suspect you are anti social ...around people you don't know.

Remember this?

I do pass up the feed stations -- every time -- without criticizing, I just say, "no thanks" - with a smile and both the other hikers and the providers treat me as if I'm some kind of weirdo and pestering me and asking why I don't stop, yelling wait, wait, wait... as if there's something wrong with me. VERY ANNOYING!

Clearly that is the statement of others who would like to get to know you better and you consider stopping for people a waste of time. Even the subsequent posts & replies wondered what you are going on about.

I know you like it here at WB, but if you get so angered by your PM's why not take a break and find something else to do on your computer, Try this for something different. http://www.milblogging.com/

Then come back with a new look on life, and perhaps tone it down a notch. Reach out to your freinds. Oh and by the way, I am sharing what I do here at WB! When I take a break for a few days or weeks the Owl Avatar is sleeping.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

there is always this check box in your options. I'd suggest using it.

Receive Private Messages only from Contacts and Moderators

You guys are reading way too much into all this, I'm simply saying: Don't expect your PM to be private when you send me a PM because you're too thin-skinned. Period.

They are not private, I WILL NOT disable my Pm function, because I do receive good PMs and I will continue to delete the stupid ones. However, don't think that I consider them private and I may post them.

Wise Old Owl, I'm guessing you're not a Psychologist, but keep trying

Journal Entries
    Images

I am not a Psychologist.

Images

if you don't want something seen then don't put it on the internet, it doesn't matter where you put it
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I am not a Psychologist.
    Gee...I'm glad you cleared that up

Images

Default Its all trivial

We are all guilty of bad behavior at one time or another.

I would think that PM's would be private. I can see also that some private messages may be filled with emotional content rather then rational thought, thus causing an equivalent response. Posting a PM would be the social equivalent to dropping the A-Bomb. Once you release there's no going back and takes a long time to recover from, on both sides.

I tend to follow the same rule of interaction on the internet as I do in public life. Don't say anything you would not want your wife or mother to hear. It precludes a number of problems.

We are only posting our thoughts and opinions on, in the grand scheme of things, trivial matters.

None of this is any real big deal.

pm's aren't private. you type stupid **** to somebody, it's your own fault. people need to put their big boy pants on and quit cryin' cause their pansy ass got called out. that is all.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Except possibly in cases of criminal behavior and/or national security or other kinds of threats, IMHO private e-mails and private PMs should remain private communication. Because, well, they were sent with the intent to be private.

John, if the e-mails in question rise to those levels you should probably be talking to law enforcement about them. Otherwise, why make them public? What would be gained?

(And I haven't sent an e-mail or PM to you since, um, never.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I am not a Psychologist.
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Why don't i get any PM's....i feel left out!!!!

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Default Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    We are all guilty of bad behavior at one time or another.
    Not me, I'm prefect.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
    I found that incredibly funny!

Wait John, your first post was in bold, caps, and large (don't need your old man reading glasses) and we the audience is reading too much into it. Hmmm, Did you get your first cup of coffee this morning?

Goes back to my first question see as you want to post poorly written PM's that should not be private - go ahead, which one set you off?

Woo

Images

There are at least two basic approaches to PMs and I can see John's point. By not disabling PMs or permitting them from only certain individuals, he makes himself accessible to everyone. By leaving open the possibility he may post them, he has a recourse should others bother him with certain kinds of PMs. Still, he'll get some he'd rather not read.

I've taken another approach. I have a contacts list. Who's on it is constantly changing and it does take time to maintain it. There may be people who have wished to send me a PM, but were unable. The upside is I rarely get unwelcome PMs. Anyone who wants to communicate with me can, but some need to put what they have to say where everyone can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Inner Self View Post
    G*ddamn, you people are lame. I take my permanent ban as a badge of honor, proof that I'm a real human being.
    why did you get banned....i once got suspended from school for selling fireworks!!

can the mods read PM's or are they completely private till their posted??

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh by the Emerald the avatar is done... How do you want it back ( cant attache to PM)

Woo

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++